Where will the parties be under the Millennials?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:01:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Where will the parties be under the Millennials?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Where will the parties be under the Millennials?  (Read 2635 times)
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 06:16:06 PM »

Parties represent interests, not ideologies.

The Democrats will continue to be the party of minorities, labor unions, and feminism.
The Republicans will continue to be the party of whites, big business, and religion.

This will continue for a very long time, long after the issues of the day have changed.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 06:18:59 PM »

I feel like the Democrats will continue to drift left and the Republicans will continue to drift right, until a moderate third party emerges.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 07:15:10 PM »

The Democratic Party will be the party of Hispanics, African Americans, and Muslims. It will continue to support neo-liberal economic positions as its support for open borders (the wedge issue which will eclipse even abortion) makes social democracy impossible. They may actually come to officially embrace social democracy at some point but by that time the country will be so poor and overpopulated due to immigration that services will be crap.

The Republican Party will become the party of White people. While the majority of super rich will still be White, most White people will end up becoming poorer than the average minority, due to relentless diversity pushes and immigration forcing down wages in general. Most rank and file Republicans will be openly and actively racist. The party leadership will probably be more reserved and simply call for racial hiring quotes, which would be less detrimental to Whites than constantly favoring minorities in every hiring. The fact that everyone in the future will be pro-gay marriage and pro-choice will make it easier for pro-immigration conservatives to leave for the Democratic Party.

I hope you're joking.

If not, you deserve to be ridiculed for actually being this stupid.

What's stupid about it? You're from New York. You have seen the future. The future is New York City/LA/Dubai. A country where most people are poor and/or foreign born but there's enough mega rich people that it throws the averages off and hide the fact that the place is third world.

That describes the United States now.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 07:28:12 PM »

lol at the idea that social conservatives will just disappear.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »

lol at the idea that social conservatives will just disappear.

They'll still exist, but instead of wasting their time fighting marijuana legalization and gay marriage they'll be wasting their time fighting prostitution, assisted suicide and magic mushroom legalization.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 08:03:56 PM »

GOP: Moderate Libertarians (focus on economics/foreign policy and not on religion/morals)

The main things that get the Republican base to the polls are God, guns, and race.  You spoke about religion but you failed to address the other two issues especially race.

The Republican party has a race problem.  Just look at the Reaganfan screeds.  You take race and religion out of the equation and there is no Republican party.

You could make a case for your first part, but your last sentence is straight BS used to enhance your already too high elitism.  There are millions of Republicans who turn out because they want the government out of their pocketbooks.  There will not be an election in the foreseeable future where the highest income bracket doesn't vote for the GOP, as they have for several decades.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 08:18:07 PM »

Parties represent interests, not ideologies.

The Democrats will continue to be the party of minorities, labor unions, and feminism.
The Republicans will continue to be the party of whites, big business, and religion.

This will continue for a very long time, long after the issues of the day have changed.

With the Supreme Court leaning towards effectively eliminating unions in the public sector (they have already been wiped out in the private sector), there won't be a labor movement after the end of this decade. 
MM876
Rookie
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 11:55:24 PM »

Sure.

I would love to see that society, but I'm less optimistic. There's the idea that milennials will advance millennial ideals, but also that as they age they will abandon many of their ideas and become more moderates. I desperately hope for the former and I pray to see it one day, but I'm not so sure.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 02:56:59 PM »

The most consistent historic thread in the GOP has been the promotion of personal responsibility and self-sufficiency. Since the days of Lincoln it has tended to attract interest groups that agree with the promotion of those values. I don't see that changing as Millennials become the dominant voting bloc.

At present the clearest distinction is between Pubs representing areas of low population density and Dems representing areas of high density. There's a good chance that the Pubs will still coincide with interests in the lower density areas of the US. What will most likely change is what government policies best support those interests. Other have commented on how a more libertarian view on social policies may emerge, and I think that is already happening in many state party organizations.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »

At present the clearest distinction is between Pubs representing areas of low population density and Dems representing areas of high density.

I've been saying that for years on this forum.  Glad someone agrees with me. 

The succeeding analysis seems reasonable as well.  Parties are people, and they will evolve to reflect the interests of those people.  Whether that amounts to a more libertarian view remains to be seen.  It is hard to predict how the generation who grow up thinking that it's normal to have "lockdown drills" and remove one's shoes before boarding an airplane might affect the political parties. 
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 09:10:37 PM »

The idea that 'teh young people are all socially liberal' needs to die in a fire.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 09:44:10 PM »

The idea that 'teh young people are all socially liberal' needs to die in a fire.

This. The Republican Party will not become libertarian.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 09:45:08 PM »

Why do that when it's largely true.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 09:59:57 PM »

Why do that when it's largely true.

Simply because those definitions are subjective to time and place and, as such, there will still be social conservatives and social liberals in twenty years, regardless of how this nation falls on any host of current social issues.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2016, 09:51:01 PM »

Similar to how they are now
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 10:00:53 PM »

In my nightmares, the Democrats get taken over by the SJWs.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 08:48:59 AM »

Sanders is running a campaign based on SJW identity politics?
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 06:05:34 AM »

Sanders is running a campaign based on SJW identity politics?

No, you misunderstand me.  Hillary is the one who is carrying that mantle, and is looking surprisingly weak against an economic populist for whom identity is a second tier issue.  This is an early sign that the path of least resistance for the left (particularly in congress) isn't trying to split the upper middle class/elite based on identity, but finding a way to bring the non-Southern working class back into the fold without falling back to Dukakis levels in the suburbs.

Also, the Democrats really need to make up their mind on isolation vs. intervention.  The youth badly want a "don't go to war unless we are directly attacked" party and no one serious has offered that.

Just a nitpick, but not going to war unless we're attacked isn't really isolationism.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies