Liberals: Should parents be prohibited from teaching their kids the Bible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:41:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Liberals: Should parents be prohibited from teaching their kids the Bible?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Liberals: Should parents be prohibited from teaching their kids the Bible?
liberal- yes

liberal - no

non-liberal - yes

non-liberal - no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Liberals: Should parents be prohibited from teaching their kids the Bible?  (Read 5416 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2005, 10:10:43 PM »

Perhaps we need to question the rights of parents to have absolute power to abuse their offspring.

No, what we need to question is why you're so against freedom, but that's another story.

I had a rather long discussion with Opebo on this exact issue a while back. He basically said he was only in favor of freedom of expression if the views expressed matched his own beliefs.

Obviously a blatant misrepresentation.  I shall now make a similar claim about you - Bob advocates Naziism, as well as the use of Donkeys as marital aids.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2005, 02:30:37 AM »

Sixth, your statement that "all sin is equal in God's eyes" really takes the cake.  Just where do you get this conclusion from?
No, it makes good sense.  Jesus Christ is the only sinless man who ever lived and therefore has the ability to save all sinners - the fact that you can be a sinner, barred from heaven unless you have divine grace, without raping or murdering someone, would imply that all sins are bad and worthy of punishment.  I won't say that premarital sex is worse than murder, because obviously it's not, but all sins are bad.

So now you agree that "all sin" is NOT "equal"?

As to the other points I made, I notice NO response.
Sin is sin.  I don't claim that they are all completely equal, but sin is sin nonetheless.  I only defended J.R. Brown's point to make that clear-- you seem to be implying that you've never done a bad thing in your life.

Also, I didn't have to respond to your other points-- they weren't directed at me in the first place.  I do notice, however, upon second reading, that some of your "points" were just cheap shots like "You really do have a GOD complex, don't you."  Nice try, though.

First, I apologize for the second point in my response to you, noting a non response to the other points previously made.  I confused you with the original posted (my bad).

Second, there was absolutely NO implication whatsoever in any of my posts that I've "never done a bad thing in your life," as you clearly alledge.  Please cite where I have made such an implication (I don't know how you could have made such an inference).

Third, if you review the my original post in this series, you will note that poster Brown spoke or "breaking" people down, and of "knowing" what is "in God' eyes."  To me both of these points border on being sacrilegious, with the poster have a God complex.

I was high on pain medication when I wrote that, so ignore it.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2005, 03:05:21 AM »

CARLHAYDEN,

What I meant was no one should claim to be sinless and no matter what we have done in our lives, we are all born of sin therefore are no better than anyone else. We all fall short of the glory of God, but it's only through Jesus Christ that we can attain eternal life. And I don't have a God complex.

Obviously, certain mortal acts are worse than others, but that same feeling of contempt in our souls for the word of God is equal in all men that sin. That's what I meant by "all sin is equal".
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2005, 09:59:17 AM »

Sixth, your statement that "all sin is equal in God's eyes" really takes the cake.  Just where do you get this conclusion from?
No, it makes good sense.  Jesus Christ is the only sinless man who ever lived and therefore has the ability to save all sinners - the fact that you can be a sinner, barred from heaven unless you have divine grace, without raping or murdering someone, would imply that all sins are bad and worthy of punishment.  I won't say that premarital sex is worse than murder, because obviously it's not, but all sins are bad.

So now you agree that "all sin" is NOT "equal"?

As to the other points I made, I notice NO response.
Sin is sin.  I don't claim that they are all completely equal, but sin is sin nonetheless.  I only defended J.R. Brown's point to make that clear-- you seem to be implying that you've never done a bad thing in your life.

Also, I didn't have to respond to your other points-- they weren't directed at me in the first place.  I do notice, however, upon second reading, that some of your "points" were just cheap shots like "You really do have a GOD complex, don't you."  Nice try, though.

First, I apologize for the second point in my response to you, noting a non response to the other points previously made.  I confused you with the original posted (my bad).

Second, there was absolutely NO implication whatsoever in any of my posts that I've "never done a bad thing in your life," as you clearly alledge.  Please cite where I have made such an implication (I don't know how you could have made such an inference).

Third, if you review the my original post in this series, you will note that poster Brown spoke or "breaking" people down, and of "knowing" what is "in God' eyes."  To me both of these points border on being sacrilegious, with the poster have a God complex.

I was high on pain medication when I wrote that, so ignore it.

Fair enought.

Hope you get to feeling better.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2005, 08:10:32 AM »

Well my answer is unequivocally no; not sure whether I'm a liberal or a non-liberal on this score

Dave
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »

It is tragic that children are indoctrinated into these cults and robbed of the opportunity of hearing more enlightened points of view.  Perhaps we need to question the rights of parents to have absolute power to abuse their offspring.

opebo, I thought about you yesterday.  there was an article on page 11 of the NYPress putting down the "religious" and saying that we need to rise up against them.  Said we're ignoring the religious and that's the central problem.  The opening line was "Everybody always complains about the Religious Right, but nobody ever does anything about them."  Ouch.  Very Henny-Penny the sky is falling.  He did everything except mention feeding them to the lions.  Of course, the writing was stilted and poor, but then if he were any good he'd be working for a respectable outlet such as the NYT, so that's no surprise.

Anyway, fear not, you'll be glad to know that the evangelicals are alive and well in the City that Never Sleeps.  Just today, on Amsterdam Ave. between around 125 and 121 I've been handed two Billy Graham flyers and one crazy black man was preaching about the end of time.

Also, June 3 is GospelFest at Madison Square garden!  Doncha just love it.  Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2005, 06:01:50 PM »

It is tragic that children are indoctrinated into these cults and robbed of the opportunity of hearing more enlightened points of view.  Perhaps we need to question the rights of parents to have absolute power to abuse their offspring.

opebo, I thought about you yesterday.  there was an article on page 11 of the NYPress putting down the "religious" and saying that we need to rise up against them.  Said we're ignoring the religious and that's the central problem.  The opening line was "Everybody always complains about the Religious Right, but nobody ever does anything about them."  Ouch.  Very Henny-Penny the sky is falling.  He did everything except mention feeding them to the lions.  Of course, the writing was stilted and poor, but then if he were any good he'd be working for a respectable outlet such as the NYT, so that's no surprise.

Anyway, fear not, you'll be glad to know that the evangelicals are alive and well in the City that Never Sleeps.  Just today, on Amsterdam Ave. between around 125 and 121 I've been handed two Billy Graham flyers and one crazy black man was preaching about the end of time.

Also, June 3 is GospelFest at Madison Square garden!  Doncha just love it.  Smiley

It is nice to know others are aware of the problem.  Alas I despair of any lion-feeding being accomplished in my short lifetime.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies