What's the level of interest for an "alternate 1860s" timeline?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:29:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What's the level of interest for an "alternate 1860s" timeline?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Interested?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: What's the level of interest for an "alternate 1860s" timeline?  (Read 639 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:58:37 PM »

Note: This idea would only go forward after "A Total Mess" is completed, so not for a month, possibly longer. This is purely an interest thread.

I'm curious on how many people would be interested in reading a timeline that begins with the 1860 presidential election being sent to the house of representatives due to Lincoln failing to achieve an electoral college majority. I'd try to take it through most of the decade, looking at whether there would still be a civil war, the future of slavery, who gets to be president and their policies, etc.

If this has been done before or there's not much interest, I have other, more contemporary ideas and this is by no means a vote on whether my timeline writing will stop.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:13:21 PM »

I'd read it.
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 10:36:16 AM »

The most important questions are
1. When will your TL end?
2. Do you know how it will end?

There are plenty of TLs on this forum with the POD taking place in the 18th or 19th centuries that ended up being abandoned by its author with no epilogue.

The only TL I can think of starting before the 20th century which ended to the present day was one in which the USA added countries to its own dating back to the Polk administration. By the mid-2010's, 90 percent of Earth's population lives in this multi-national USA and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of Austria, is elected President of the US.

(The TL also featured the US Presidencies of Margaret Thatcher and Silvio Berlusconi, Vice President Robert Mugabe, acting President Ralph Nader; and JFK living to 1982 having served as POTUS from 1969-1977, returning to Congress in 1978, elected Speaker of the House and returning to the White House in 1981 after the assassinations of President Reagan and his successor Joe Clark)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:10:01 PM »

rob in cal
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:02:21 AM »

Wulfric, very interesting theme. one I've thought about a lot, in terms of what if there had been no civil war in 1860's.  I believe there would have been potential drama around the growth of the Republican Party in the slave states of Maryland and Missouri. In Missouri there was a growing GOP base in the St Louis area, and at some point there was a chance of a GOP governor winning, and a possible struggle over abolition in the state legislature.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies