Is this a Viable Thing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:01:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Is this a Viable Thing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this a Viable Thing?  (Read 1063 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:35:12 AM »

I'm not advocating either way, I'm just curious

https://www.quora.com/What-if-we-abolish-all-taxes-and-add-just-a-very-tiny-transaction-tax
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:25:46 AM »

Theoretically, yes, but it would disproportionately hurt the financial instructions, so it wouldn't happen.

This.  Also, any projections of X revenue being accrued by such a tax would be pretty erroneous, as such a tax would have a sizable impact on behavior, especially financial institutions, thus reducing the projected revenue immensely. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:08:02 AM »

Abolishing everything else is a bad idea, but a transaction tax is probably a good idea in itself. It would discourage quick trading and encourage stability. Things like short sells suddenly become less profitable.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »

Abolishing everything else is a bad idea, but a transaction tax is probably a good idea in itself. It would discourage quick trading and encourage stability. Things like short sells suddenly become less profitable.

I disagree. Quick trading is a way to correct prices quickly based on new information. Speculation is good, not bad. Short sales do the same thing. Those folks by keeping prices correct, help buy and hold investors like myself. And when I buy or sell, I know that I am more or less getting a fair price. The financial industry needs to be reined in, in many ways, but this is not one of them. Short term gains don't get favorable capital gains tax treatment. That is enough.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »

No.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 05:49:36 PM »

I agree.

We can simplify the tax system and ensure those at the top pay their fair share without resorting to pie-in-the-sky 'solutions' like this.

Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 07:30:50 PM »

I disagree. Quick trading is a way to correct prices quickly based on new information. Speculation is good, not bad. Short sales do the same thing. Those folks by keeping prices correct, help buy and hold investors like myself. And when I buy or sell, I know that I am more or less getting a fair price. The financial industry needs to be reined in, in many ways, but this is not one of them. Short term gains don't get favorable capital gains tax treatment. That is enough.

Torie, what new information do HFT algos process and respond to in the milliseconds they use to make trades?

Also, in what universe are the comically inflated equities traded on today's stock marked "priced correctly?" [Hint: it's time to divest from stocks and corporate bonds].
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »

Torie, what new information do HFT algos process and respond to in the milliseconds they use to make trades?

Also, in what universe are the comically inflated equities traded on today's stock marked "priced correctly?" [Hint: it's time to divest from stocks and corporate bonds].

Predicting the stock market prices going forward is generally a fool's errand. I say generally, because if the stock prices get high enough that the dividend rate is too low, it does reduce the expected equity premium, and thus the odds of getting an adequate risk adjusted return falls. So say in 2000 or so, when the dividend rate fell to 1%, and the risk free return rate was relatively high, the expected equity premium hit zero, or went negative. Then it is time to lighten up on equities. But right now the dividend rate is around 2%, and the risk free rate sill close to zero, so that translates into about a 4%-5% expected equity premia (you add in the real growth rate of the economy as a whole more or less as the expected increase in equity prices), and that is about a fair rate of risk adjusted expected return.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies