Rand Paul suspending his campaign to focus on re-election to the Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:38:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rand Paul suspending his campaign to focus on re-election to the Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Who will his supporters go to now?
Cruz

Trump

Johnson

Rubio

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: Rand Paul suspending his campaign to focus on re-election to the Senate  (Read 6215 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »

If we assume a Clinton victory this November, does Paul run for the GOP presidential nomination again in 2020?

Either that, Justin Amash runs, or (highly unlikely) we get a return to the Republican Party from Gary Johnson.

Gary ain't coming back, it would most likely be Amash if he has any desire to run, or Cruz if he runs again or even Chaffetz

According to Ron Gunzberger at politics1.com, Paul Broun may run for Lynn Westmorland's open 3rd district seat in Georgia.

I wish Bob Barr would come back.

Bob Barr was on CNN a couple days ago.  I think he supports Ted Cruz.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 10:51:27 AM »

The only sad thing about this is that it means he won't be around to discredit the lolbertarian movement further.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »

Also pretty sure that most Paul supporters will back TRUMP
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2016, 11:12:11 AM »

Finally, about time. Others should follow. Mainly Fiorina and Santorum.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »

Dang. Time to commit 100% to the LP. They have 2 good candidates IMO, which is now 2 more than any other party.

As for where Paul's supporters will go: It's interesting that Rand Paul supporters have been polling highest for "Undecided" as their second choice. Cruz and Trump are usually next, but not with overwhelming numbers. That's a pretty good indication that plenty will jump to the LP (or wherever).
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »

Maybe a back door deal between Cruz and Paul? After a good showing and win in Iowa, to help in in NH and a few other states Paul has some support Cruz offered him a cabinet position to drop out now and support him before the NH primary?

Just throwing some ideas out there. Not to mentio paul said he would make it his goal to make SURE Trump doesn't win the nomination. Maybe he figures since he had no shot he would drop out now and help Cruz to hurt Trumps chances.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2016, 11:19:37 AM »

He'll be back in 2020, though it's a shame he performed as poorly as he did. He honestly seems like an alright guy, though his voice/hair combination don't do him any favors.
Dorko Julio

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2016, 11:37:25 AM »

Cry Cry Cry
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »

Goodnight Rand, you're a unique guy and you contribute a different voice to the party.

Good luck in the senate, and keep on fighting for people's freedom. His supporters will hop towards Cruz, for sure.
mencken
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2016, 11:49:07 AM »

Maybe a back door deal between Cruz and Paul? After a good showing and win in Iowa, to help in in NH and a few other states Paul has some support Cruz offered him a cabinet position to drop out now and support him before the NH primary?

Just throwing some ideas out there. Not to mentio paul said he would make it his goal to make SURE Trump doesn't win the nomination. Maybe he figures since he had no shot he would drop out now and help Cruz to hurt Trumps chances.

Unless Trump is going to make a significant course correction, that does not seem particularly likely. If he drops out now and endorses Cruz, there's an outside chance that his supporters can catapult Cruz ahead of Rubio for second place, and thus complicate the Rubio "comeback" narrative.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »

If we assume a Clinton victory this November, does Paul run for the GOP presidential nomination again in 2020?

Either that, Justin Amash runs, or (highly unlikely) we get a return to the Republican Party from Gary Johnson.

Gary ain't coming back, it would most likely be Amash if he has any desire to run, or Cruz if he runs again or even Chaffetz

According to Ron Gunzberger at politics1.com, Paul Broun may run for Lynn Westmorland's open 3rd district seat in Georgia.

I wish Bob Barr would come back.

Bob Barr was on CNN a couple days ago.  I think he supports Ted Cruz.
He's the chair of Liberty Leaders for Cruz
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »

I'll miss Rand. He brought a substantive policy discussion to each debate he was in. Whether he should be the representative of the party or not, his voice is important.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2016, 12:44:24 PM »

Newmont Mining, one of the largest producers of gold, is up nearly 9% on this beautiful bit of news (what?)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2016, 12:53:27 PM »

Most of his supporters will go to Johnson, some will go to Cruz, and the rest will write-in. I'm tempted to vote for Johnson.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »

i'm genuinely surprised he didn't wait another week for NH. it wouldn't have made any difference in the race of course, but.....
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »

I'm actually sad, I think I'll skip Republican debates now. When everyone was speaking sh**t, he was criticizing the war on drugs, endless stupid wars & medical marijuana, private property rights, etc. And most of all he owned Trump when Trump, the idiot, talked about the TPP saying China will take advantage, not knowing that it was a anti-China agreement & China was not even part of it. It's another thing that TPP is no good.

But this guy debated on issues, called Trump out on his stupid name calling & called Christie on the no fly zone & how it could lead to World War.

In 50-60% of the issues he spoke really well & the GOP is a train-wreck.

It's sad how Bush has 100M and continues to run, when a robot & poor debater like Hillary can be corrupt & wins Iowa while Rand Paul who shows up at work & votes for good bills & introduces decent bills, has to step down.

I hope the people mature soon.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »

Bye Felicia!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2016, 01:19:38 PM »

This makes Paul smarter than Jeb Bush.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2016, 01:21:02 PM »

BTW Bernie will be getting a section of the Rand Paul votes for whom fiscal conservatism isn't a veto issue. The Sanders forums are already flooded with many Rand Paul fans who have pledged to support him & are discussing issues & are supporting on all issues apart from big government.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »

Doesn't he realize that his senate seat is Safe R?

Other than that, I'm legitimately sad to see him go. He seemed like one of the only candidates who wasn't fake, robotic, and rehearsed.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »

BTW Bernie will be getting a section of the Rand Paul votes for whom fiscal conservatism isn't a veto issue. The Sanders forums are already flooded with many Rand Paul fans who have pledged to support him & are discussing issues & are supporting on all issues apart from big government.

They weren't true fiscal conservatives to begin with, they were only attracted to his foreign policy.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »

Surprise
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »

Why is there no Bernie Sanders option? He probably got more Ron Paul votes in Iowa than any Republican did.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2016, 05:57:36 PM »

Well as a Paul supporter, I am switching to Kasich. But given that he'll drop out after NH I will then switch to Sanders.

I'd say it'd be a split between Cruz, Sanders in the primaries and then mostly Johnson in the election since neither Sanders or Cruz will win their respective nominations.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »

Jim Gilmore ✔ @gov_gilmore
Started out as 1 of 17 GOP Candidates, now with Rand Paul & Rick Santorum out, 1 or 9. #StillStanding
2:32 PM - 3 Feb 2016
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies