Should Hillary Skip NH and Focus on SC Instead?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:29:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Should Hillary Skip NH and Focus on SC Instead?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should Hillary Skip NH and Focus on SC Instead?  (Read 1481 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:01:11 AM »

I was watching commentary on CNN the night after the Iowa Caucus, and pundits were recommending that Hillary simply skip New Hampshire since it is clearly Bernie-burn country, and focus on shoring her minority support in South Carolina instead.

Should she?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:03:30 AM »

After NH, there's NV first and not SC ...
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:09:29 AM »

I was watching commentary on CNN the night after the Iowa Caucus, and pundits were recommending that Hillary simply skip New Hampshire since it is clearly Bernie-burn country, and focus on shoring her minority support in South Carolina instead.

Should she?

It may actually be good news for Clinton if the pundits are already writing off a Bernie win in NH as a favorite son vote. But my answer is no. I think she should make it clear and set expectations that she may not win the state but that she will fight for every vote and delegate.
HillOfANight
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/how-clinton-plans-to-bounce-back-in-new-hampshire-218663

She can win. Polls were wrong about Trump in Iowa, about her in NH in 2008.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »

No, a 60-40 win or greater for Sanders could only help him, she needs to close the gap to stop his momentum.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:13:57 AM »

No, she has no chance. Even if she cries again like before the NH primary in 2008.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:20:18 AM »

Yes, and Sanders will claim victory after NH. Eventhough, he probably wont win NV, either.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:14:39 AM »

No, she should at least try to win NH
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »

She should compete just for the sake of it, but it's nice to know that at least some people in the media recognize that the upset would be if Bernie lost his practical home state.

I'm sure many will be crowing that it could be marking the beginning of the end for future President Clinton Roll Eyes
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »

She should compete just for the sake of it, but it's nice to know that at least some people in the media recognize that the upset would be if Bernie lost his practical home state.

I'm sure many will be crowing that it could be marking the beginning of the end for future President Clinton Roll Eyes

I really can't get over how some people are talking so much doom and gloom about her despite the fact that Sanders is soon going to run into a wall of voters much less favorable towards him than the first 2 lily white early states. Sanders put a lot of effort into NH/IA, and over the horizon is a smorgasbord of states he won't have the time or money to steamroll like before.

Not to say he couldn't take off, but it sure isn't happening yet.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 01:06:25 PM »

She should compete.  There's a good chance that the polls are overestimating Sanders in NH and if they're not she's going to want to avoid a humiliating blowout anyway.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »

Sanders has much less chance in South Carolina than Clinton in New Hampshire. Why surrender a state you could win (and have won before!) for a state that your safe in?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 01:13:26 PM »

No, she should avoid getting crushed in New Hampshire.  I think she could come within single digits if she tries.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »

NH is safe Bernie, but SC is safe Hillary. I think she should focus on Nevada; that's still up for grabs.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 02:01:26 PM »

Not to go all Nate Silver here, but NH and SC are both 90%+ chance going to Sanders and Clinton respectively. Also, seeing as nobody seems to care about Nevada, campaign focus should be on Super Tuesday now.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2016, 02:04:33 PM by ♥♦ 3peat 2016 ♣♠ »

If it weren't a swing state in the general election i'd say skip it altogether. But since it is, she doesn't want to piss off NH voters that she'd be able to get support from in the autumn, especially once Bernie has endorsed her. Wink
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2016, 02:13:32 PM by Major Tom »

Of course not. The better Sanders does, the better he could do in later states. She will likely lose, but the margin matters. Then, she'll have 11 more days to focus on winning NV, where she could win. (oh, and I forgot that I had already posted a similar post, silly me Sad )
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 02:06:23 PM »

Of course not. The better Sanders does, the better he could do in later states. She will likely lose, but the margin matters.

That's just misguided. No amount of momentum Bernie gets from NH is going to help him enough to win anything substantial thereafter. Super Tuesday and beyond is and has always been Hillary's for the taking.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2016, 02:11:37 PM by Major Tom »

Of course not. The better Sanders does, the better he could do in later states. She will likely lose, but the margin matters.

That's just misguided. No amount of momentum Bernie gets from NH is going to help him enough to win anything substantial thereafter. Super Tuesday and beyond is and has always been Hillary's for the taking.
If that is true, what harm would it do to campaign in NH? Shouldn't she be competing in every state to win the nomination as soon as she can? It's not just about Bernie's momentum. Closing the gap in NH would give her momentum. I know she is not likely to win NH, but a strong showing there, beating expectations, can only help her.
indysaff
reapersaff
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 02:10:16 PM »

It wouldn't hurt to get a better ground game in NH for the General, so I guess no. She shouldn't skip NH.  
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »

If that is true, what harm would it do to campaign in NH? Shouldn't she be competing in every state to win the nomination as soon as she can?

I said she should campaign there, especially since it's a GE swing.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 02:15:40 PM »

If that is true, what harm would it do to campaign in NH? Shouldn't she be competing in every state to win the nomination as soon as she can?

I said she should campaign there, especially since it's a GE swing.
yes, I agree with you, but I also think that campaigning there could help her clinch the nomination.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »

Wonder if she'll try the crying stunt again.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 02:53:39 PM »

No, she needs to get as many delegates as possible, even if it's just one extra delegate. A better than expected showing can provide helpful media coverage, just like Rubio in Iowa.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 03:08:55 PM »

No way. She can still get a number of delegates.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies