Hillary: "That's what they offered."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:54:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary: "That's what they offered."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hillary: "That's what they offered."  (Read 1406 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »

CNN moderator Anderson Cooper speaks to Hillary Clinton

At a CNN town hall in Derry, N.H., moderator Anderson Cooper asked the former secretary of state, "Did you have to be paid $675,000?", a reference to her fees for three speeches to Goldman Sachs. Clinton responded, "I don't know. That's what they offered."

Translation:

You pay me enough, I'll give you three speeches.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »

...?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 12:55:06 PM »

Completely normal answer. If someone offered you $675,000 to do anything other than murder someone or disown your family, you'd probably take them up on the offer. Heck, I'd start campaigning for Cruz.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 12:56:25 PM »

For heaven's sake, folks.  It's Goldman Sachs, they have a major role in our country's continued economic growth.  They're not the American Nazi Party.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:05:09 PM »

Clinton, at her core, does not understand why people are upset that corporations are buying politicians. To her, this is how it's always been done and it's just an inevitable fact. It's less about "how dare you question my integrity" and more about "why is this an issue now?" Of anything, I'm thankful to Sanders for making this such a pivotal part of his campaign.

Also, she also is a multimillionaire already, so getting a few hundred thousand is no big deal for her.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »

Um OK? What's wrong here?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 01:08:55 PM »

She will be solicitous of Goldman Sachs when their financial interests are on the line, BRTD. When you rake in huge and obscene speaking fees like this, the payor is buying influence, at least in the form of special access. That is the only motive, and it's well understood. And it is a problem, because the financial industry does need more regulation to protect the public interest.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »

The irony of a Rubio supporter posting this lol
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 01:12:02 PM »

It made me cringe a bit - of course that's what they offered. I did find her body language quite telling during the exchange: if you watch the 2 minutes or so of it, she keeps backing up more and more, as if Anderson is trying to corner her in a dark alley. At least she's trained well enough to know not to cross her arms.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 01:17:18 PM »

People are willing to pay a lot of money to hear arguably the most famous woman in the world speak??? What an outrage!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »

This bullsh-t about being bought by corporations is really starting to get me riled up. I think Clinton could quite honestly put it down easily.

1) I have never let my political work be swayed by big money.

2) I am running on a progressive agenda that I've believed in and tried to forward for my entire life. I want to make change happen, and to do that, I need to get my message to as many people as possible. I also need to win. So you know what, I'll take whatever money I can get, because I want to make a difference. I don't and won't let it change the way I stand up for my beliefs.

3) It just so happens that corporations often donate to the people they think will win. I'm fortunate to be doing pretty well so far. They want a president who will be on their side, and because I'm doing so well, I guess I might look like a sensible investment. But read my lips: If I am president, we will go after the big banks and the lobbyists. We will tackle campaign finance reform. They can keep donating, but I've made myself pretty clear.

End of story.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 01:33:09 PM »

This bullsh-t about being bought by corporations is really starting to get me riled up.

This election has convinced me of something that has been apparent to most of the public for quite some time; the American left are a bunch of gibbering loons who seem only capable of articulating their views in the form of neo-antisemitic conspiracy theories. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2016, 01:49:12 PM by Lincoln Republican »

This bullsh-t about being bought by corporations is really starting to get me riled up. I think Clinton could quite honestly put it down easily.

While at the same time accepting multi millions of dollars from the major financial institutions who obviously have vested interests.

2) I am running on a progressive agenda that I've believed in and tried to forward for my entire life. I want to make change happen, and to do that, I need to get my message to as many people as possible. I also need to win. So you know what, I'll take whatever money I can get, because I want to make a difference. I don't and won't let it change the way I stand up for my beliefs.

I'll take whatever money I can get.  Man, did you leave yourself wide open with that statement.  I could go on and on about that, but I won't.

3) It just so happens that corporations often donate to the people they think will win. I'm fortunate to be doing pretty well so far. They want a president who will be on their side, and because I'm doing so well, I guess I might look like a sensible investment. But read my lips: If I am president, we will go after the big banks and the lobbyists. We will tackle campaign finance reform. They can keep donating, but I've made myself pretty clear.

While at the same time taking multi millions of dollars from the big banks and the lobbyists.  Oh please, she'd be laughed off the stage with that remark.  This is a major, major credibility issue.  

End of story.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 01:47:43 PM »

I donated $2,000 to future President Clinton and would pay even more for her to give a speech in my presence.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »

Hillary Romney Clinton. - The 1%.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 02:44:21 PM »

Point 1 - 275,000 $ for 1 hour, are you kidding me? IMO this is a way of bribing. If are still trying to justify it, then nothing will convince you, but is this progressive as she claims?

Point 2 - Please see her retreating & going back while answering (increasing distance). Any body language expert would tell you do that when you lie/are very uncomfortable!

Point 3 - I thought very cheap to use Wellstone, no way is she comparable in anyway form to him.

Hillary supporters should do an introspection & re-consider unless you like this corrupt process.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 02:49:30 PM »

She didn't say she did it because they offered that much.

She was asked why she received such a high payment for the speech, and she said because that is what they offered to pay her.

Another BS right-wing attempt to catch her in something that is obviously nothing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »

Little did the foolish fools at Goldman Sachs know Hillary Clinton could be bought for far less than $675,000 Tongue
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 03:12:16 PM »

End of story.
1) is just begging for a list of donations to the Clinton foundation next to list of her decisions as Sec. State. No matter what the truth might be, it will look awful.

2) National health care will "never, ever come to pass".

3)Clinton promised us, and promised them, and promises that she's lying to one group.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 03:23:10 PM »

Little did the foolish fools at Goldman Sachs know Hillary Clinton could be bought for far less than $675,000 Tongue

Heard her minimum charge is 200,000$ per 1 hour standard speech. They paid 225$, didn't pay a lot more IMO.

Clinton in 1 Hour > Sanders has earned his entire life maybe. She must be really special
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 06:26:19 PM »

Heard her minimum charge is 200,000$ per 1 hour standard speech. They paid 225$, didn't pay a lot more IMO.

Clinton in 1 Hour > Sanders has earned his entire life maybe. She must be really special

The thing is, you see, the Clintons live by a different set of rules than anybody else in America.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 06:39:22 PM »

I donated $2,000 to future President Clinton and would pay even more for her to give a speech in my presence.

That's good since you'll need about $673,000 more.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 06:50:19 PM »

The idea is that you refuse (or reduce the) payment, not just shrug and say "well they said they'd pay this, so I'm Ms. Greedy....."
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »

I'm no fan of Clinton, but this line of attack is stupid.
Anyone would gladly accept that kind of money to give a speech. You cannot blame Clinton for that. It seems like some people are just jealous of her influence or something.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 02:38:06 PM »

She will be solicitous of Goldman Sachs when their financial interests are on the line, BRTD. When you rake in huge and obscene speaking fees like this, the payor is buying influence, at least in the form of special access. That is the only motive, and it's well understood. And it is a problem, because the financial industry does need more regulation to protect the public interest.

Ah. Well then I'll be sure to support Marco Rubio, a true champion for the middle class who will have no holds barred in taking on Goldman Sachs!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies