Moderate Pub voter strategy in NH
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:36:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Moderate Pub voter strategy in NH
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Moderate Pub voter strategy in NH  (Read 529 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:32:29 AM »

OK, you don't want to put all you eggs in the Rubio basket just yet, but job one is stopping Cruz and Trump. So you want to vote for Kasich given the egg issue, but if you do that, it might run the risk of Cruz getting ahead of Rubio, which is not good. So if the polls by election day, show Rubio and Cruz neck and neck, with Kasich just behind, what does one do?  If all three were neck and neck, I think I would still vote for Kasich, because then the risk is not increased that Cruz would get second place, and then whether Cruz or Rubio is in third place becomes less important than keeping Cruz from getting the silver medal.

Have I thought this through right? Granted I am not a NH voter, but this would be my thinking process, and if I am thinking it, perhaps some voters of my ilk might be thinking it through this way as well. So thus the question. It arises because of the apparent spike up in Cruz's poll numbers in NH. Absent that, it is an easy vote for me for Kasich I think.

Any thoughts?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:49:33 AM »

Other than Jeb Bush, who really has a shot after New Hampshire? Kasich? Christie? I don't see those two having any shot. Jeb's only shot would be a shocking New Hampshire win propelling him to victory in South Carolina, Nevada, then Super Tuesday.

Barring that, this race is between Trump,  Cruz, and Rubio.

I also hear whispers of fear coming from Democrats that Rubio is the Republican they least want to run against.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »

Other than Jeb Bush, who really has a shot after New Hampshire? Kasich? Christie? I don't see those two having any shot. Jeb's only shot would be a shocking New Hampshire win propelling him to victory in South Carolina, Nevada, then Super Tuesday.

Barring that, this race is between Trump,  Cruz, and Rubio.

I also hear whispers of fear coming from Democrats that Rubio is the Republican they least want to run against.

The idea is that if Rubio has problems down the road a bit, for whatever reason, the Pubs have creditable standby equipment, without running the risk of unleashing Cruz. It's the insurance policy approach, but the issue is just how expensive is the premium therefor?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:12:42 PM »

The only reasonable idea for a moderate Pub in NH is to vote for Rubio and ensure his swift coronation.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:14:23 PM »

If you're a moderate Pub then you really have no options in 2016.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »

When saying "moderate", Torie really means "Establishment".
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 01:17:43 PM »

Governor Baker endorsing Christie 5 days out doesn't help the consolidation around Rubio. Especially if Baker campaigns with Christie in the state.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 01:21:18 PM »

I'm aware of that. I still need to correct.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »

Yes, there's the unspoken assumption that "moderate" means having a lot of wealth, (formal) education, and bourgeois manners - in short, the "respectable" Republican archetype.

Nevermind that such Republicans can (and do) have extremely right-wing views - especially on issues in which they have a vested interest in preserving the status quo (taxation, regulation, social spending, economic inequality, unions,and so on...).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2016, 01:49:13 PM by Torie »

"Nevermind that such Republicans can (and do) have extremely right-wing views - especially on issues in which they have a vested interest in preserving the status quo (taxation, regulation, social spending, economic inequality, unions,and so on...)."

If the above is meant to characterize my views, it is not accurate, except for the unions bit if we are talking about public sector unions.

Anyway, not much help here in the thread for me or my ilk if NH voters. Smiley But it appears that the issue may be moot, since the Suffolk poll that just came out shows Cruz crashing down to 7%. So now it is much easier to vote for Kasich, which is what I would do if a NH voter, assuming other polls show Cruz out of the hunt for second place.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 03:32:33 PM »

"Nevermind that such Republicans can (and do) have extremely right-wing views - especially on issues in which they have a vested interest in preserving the status quo (taxation, regulation, social spending, economic inequality, unions,and so on...)."

If the above is meant to characterize my views, it is not accurate, except for the unions bit if we are talking about public sector unions.

Anyway, not much help here in the thread for me or my ilk if NH voters. Smiley But it appears that the issue may be moot, since the Suffolk poll that just came out shows Cruz crashing down to 7%. So now it is much easier to vote for Kasich, which is what I would do if a NH voter, assuming other polls show Cruz out of the hunt for second place.

Most voters vote for someone to win, not to place or show.  Thus, I think if Rubio is within single digits of Trump in the polls come Tuesday, voters backing supposedly moderate candidates will flock to Rubio to try to put him over the top.

The Cruz poll at 7% is an outlier as of right now.  He still has a chance to come in second if the establishment backers split their votes four or five ways.  So even if you care about Rubio coming in second, moderates should still vote for him to get over Cruz.  Cruz has a good floor with very conservative Republican primary voters and, to a lesser extent, evangelicals who really have no other place to go.
Broken System

Political Matrix
E: 0.26, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »

I think we have to take into consideration that people IRL don't hate Rubio nearly as much as many people on this forum do. Just like Iowa, we will see the Rubio surge on election day.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies