Washington Legislative Districts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:07:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Washington Legislative Districts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington Legislative Districts  (Read 2810 times)
Kevinstat

« on: February 13, 2016, 09:38:54 AM »
« edited: February 13, 2016, 09:58:19 AM by Kevinstat »

As I noted ealier, I wanted a baseline to compare the current WA assembly with the potential advantage of split districts. The starting point was to draw revised legislative districts according to neutral rules. I started with this set of whole county regions with each region containing a whole number of districts. Districts here are required to be within 5% of the population quota, though the actual districts are much closer in population.

To complete the test of nesting districts on the WA partisan balance I created a plan of 98 House districts based on the 49 LDs in my previous post (similar colors show the nested pairs).

I know you came up with the multi-county groupings for the Senate and not for the House directly, but it would be interesting to see the resulting county groupings for the House.  It's pretty clear, for example, that Asotin and Whitman counties together form a 1 as do Garfield, Columbia and Walla Walla together.  But are there any 3s, 5s, 7s, etc.?  (These could cover multiple counties, just not the entire Senate grouping as that would obviously result in an even number of House districts.)  At first I thought Benton County might be a 3 and Franklin and Adams counties a 1, but looking closer it's clear that the Richland district crosses over in to Franklin County to include area between Richland and Pasco if not Pasco itself.  It might be close to a 50-50 split between Benton and Franklin counties in fact.

Also, as a Senate (and House) district crosses the King County-Snohomish County boundary, shouldn't the 9 and the 14 be a 23?  Or did you give yourself flexibility to cross the borders of your groupings when it came time to divide those groupings into Senate districts?  Either way, a second Senate "base map" showing the actual resulting groupings (so a 23 in the grouping including Seattle, which looks like it would be one 42 in the House map) would also be nice.
Kevinstat

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 12:56:31 AM »

The slightly darker shadings for area in a national park/forest and such can make it look like you the area inside vs. outside a national forest are in different HDs in the same LD.  That may have prompted Jimrtex's question about the number of HDs crossing the Pierce-King and Snohomish-King lines.  (Although Jimrtex is probably familiar with how such things show up on Dave's Redistricting App.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies