Is Trump using the Art of the Deal to win the nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:34:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Trump using the Art of the Deal to win the nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Is Trump using the Art of the Deal to win the nomination?  (Read 945 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2016, 11:25:16 PM »
« edited: February 05, 2016, 11:47:27 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

Is he just saying what Republican voters want to hear to win the nomination and then swing hard center when he wins?

Setting aside my current hate for him for a second:

Notice that every time he takes a strong position on something - it's the strongest and the most extreme one he can take without actually getting totally stumped. Deportation of illegals, The Wall, China Muslim ban now serve as a few examples. By comparsion his moderate positions are barely ever mentioned even though they are bigger in number. Why does he do this? Several reasons:

1) To dominate the news cycle - He says something outrageous that puts him in the media spotlight for days.

2) The truthful hyperbole - Trump describes this oxymoron in The Art of the Deal - he has been using it for years - by friendly exaggeration you draw the attention to the issue at hand and force others to discuss it, making them realize that there is actually a problem, even if it is not as big as anyone presents it.

3) To appear as the leader on the issue so he can frame the discussion - the issue of problems of the Middle East is now firmly in Trump's hands, Trump is forcing everyone to react to him and it does not matter than most media and representatives don't support him.

4) To have a strong starting position so he can negotiate down later - Trump won't deport 12 million Mexicans and he won't ban Muslims from entering the country. However, he has put himself into a position to accomplish these goals at least partially once he is done negotiating about them. Do I believe he will try? That door is left to be open who knows what Trump honestly believes?

5) To lock down his base - not much to explain here even though I think it's only a secondary motive.

Trump is obsessed with deals and has been his whole life. This is the biggest one yet and he is playing by the same rules he has always played by... and he is winning.

Do I believe he actually believes all the hateful rhetoric he has been spewing in recent months? Yes, but I can be proven wrong and I'll be the first to admit it if I am.

Either he is the greatest politician in U.S history by trolling everyone or his true self has been revealed and will lead to his inevitable demise.

Now does this mean I will ever support him? No, he pretty much turned me off of him the moment he started making these claims.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 11:38:30 PM »

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 11:43:20 PM »

Wow.  Just when I was starting to doubt Trump, he pulls me back in.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:50:12 PM »

The Art of the Dill.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 01:26:12 AM »

This is what we've all been saying since Day 1.
Broken System

Political Matrix
E: 0.26, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:44:31 AM »

I wasn't sure what the Art of the Deal was about, but this is exactly what I have been describing for the last few weeks.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 01:49:38 AM »

This is what we've all been saying since Day 1.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 04:45:34 AM »

Is he just saying what Republican voters want to hear to win the nomination and then swing hard center when he wins?

Notice that every time he takes a strong position on something - it's the strongest and the most extreme one he can take without actually getting totally stumped. Deportation of illegals, The Wall, China Muslim ban now serve as a few examples. By comparsion his moderate positions are barely ever mentioned even though they are bigger in number. Why does he do this? Several reasons:

1) To dominate the news cycle - He says something outrageous that puts him in the media spotlight for days.

2) The truthful hyperbole - Trump describes this oxymoron in The Art of the Deal - he has been using it for years - by friendly exaggeration you draw the attention to the issue at hand and force others to discuss it, making them realize that there is actually a problem, even if it is not as big as anyone presents it.

3) To appear as the leader on the issue so he can frame the discussion - the issue of problems of the Middle East is now firmly in Trump's hands, Trump is forcing everyone to react to him and it does not matter than most media and representatives don't support him.

4) To have a strong starting position so he can negotiate down later - Trump won't deport 12 million Mexicans and he won't ban Muslims from entering the country. However, he has put himself into a position to accomplish these goals at least partially once he is done negotiating about them. Do I believe he will try? That door is left to be open who knows what Trump honestly believes?

5) To lock down his base - not much to explain here even though I think it's only a secondary motive.

Trump is obsessed with deals and has been his whole life. This is the biggest one yet and he is playing by the same rules he has always played by... and he is winning.

Do I believe he actually believes all the hateful rhetoric he has been spewing in recent months? Yes, but I can be proven wrong and I'll be the first to admit it if I am.

Either he is the greatest politician in U.S history by trolling everyone or his true self has been revealed and will lead to his inevitable demise.

Now does this mean I will ever support him? No, he pretty much turned me off of him the moment he started making these claims.

For those who continue to be somewhat surprised, The Art of the Deal is what Trump is all about. And he is an absolutely brilliant marketing person, which is why he's doing so well: he knows how to manipulate the media, he knows how to work a crowd, and he understands the concerns people have about the completely ineffective workings of today's mainstream politicians. Is he the answer? Probably not, but that's not gonna stop him from trying to make that case, and thus far, it's a case that's resonating with people. We'll see how this plays out, but it's definitely an interesting year.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 06:41:40 AM »

He should have used the art of his ass, which he has not used, till date at least.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 06:53:10 AM »

He should have used the art of his ass, which he has not used, till date at least.

Biting, incisive commentary from eric82oslo.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 07:00:22 AM »

He is using Mein Kampf to win the nomination. He is not yet, but he willl very soon.

[/quote]
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 07:21:09 AM »

He is using Mein Kampf to win the nomination. He is not yet, but he willl very soon.

Where do we even start with this blatant violation of Godwin's Law?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 09:24:06 AM »

Yes, The Donald is a great strategist. If he governs that way as a dealmaking pragmatic, I'll be fine.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 09:58:38 AM »

No, Trump is being almost entirely disingenuous. Lately, he has become even more protectionist, talking about creating what are essentially tariff walls against China and India, so low skilled American workers will not have to compete with that labor market.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies