Let's Play: You're the Campaign Manager!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:43:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Let's Play: You're the Campaign Manager!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Let's Play: You're the Campaign Manager!  (Read 712 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2016, 01:31:31 AM »

You are the campaign manager of Marco Rubio and the debate just ended. You glance down at your phone, you see you already have a dozen missed calls. It's time for you to step out in the spin room and face the media

How do you spin Rubio's debate performance to the press

and

How do you salvage the election between now and Tuesday?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:32:36 AM »

I do the only honorable thing there is to do: smother him with a pillow tonight while he's asleep.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:34:49 AM »

Try to wake up from such a terrible nightmare by asking Marco to pinch me.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:35:37 AM »

I'd tell him the only way to change the narrative would be to come out of the closet and convince NH Republicans a gay Cuban nominee is certainly electable still
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 01:35:56 AM »

If this were feudal Japan, hara-kiri, and it would be the obvious--if not only--choice.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 01:40:24 AM »

If this were feudal Japan, hara-kiri, and it would be the obvious--if not only--choice.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 01:41:11 AM »

By admitting that Rubio had a bad moment, but emphasizing that Rubio recovered and had good second half of the debate.  I'm not sure if there was a Luntz focus group tonight, but if there was, I wouldn't be surprised if Rubio's answers on what it means to be a conservative and abortion scored well with Republican primary voters.

I don't think anything can be salvaged between today and Tuesday.  Tomorrow's pretty much a dead day in the campaign, leaving only Monday to really change message.  I'd pivot to focus on Rubio's accomplishments in Washington and Tallahassee, if possible.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 01:44:13 AM »

1) In public: Give canned talking points about how well Rubio did. Say he was just so passionate about how malicious Obama he is that he needed to get the point across. In private: Insist that it was only one mishap and it will never happen again. Remind the media/establishment that they have already invested so much into the campaign, and that they can't afford to pull out after a single debate failure, particularly when doing so would essentially guarantee a Trump or Cruz nomination.

2) Pray. It's really too late to massively change strategy. Rubio's survival depends on finishing 2nd (or maybe 3rd if Cruz is 2nd). Hope the media and establishment is so scared of the Trump/Cruz spectre that they rally around you, double down, and slam the hell out of his establishment rivals.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 01:46:09 AM »

By admitting that Rubio had a bad moment, but emphasizing that Rubio recovered and had good second half of the debate.  I'm not sure if there was a Luntz focus group tonight, but if there was, I wouldn't be surprised if Rubio's answers on what it means to be a conservative and abortion scored well with Republican primary voters.

I don't think anything can be salvaged between today and Tuesday.  Tomorrow's pretty much a dead day in the campaign, leaving only Monday to really change message.  I'd pivot to focus on Rubio's accomplishments in Washington and Tallahassee, if possible.

Luntz's focus groups have already been exposed as rigged for Rubio. I'm sure he'd have said he won the robot moment too.

In other words, let's dispel with this fiction that Frank Luntz doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 01:47:17 AM »

Being serious?

Well... saying that this was clearly a coordinated attack from Christie who is doing Donald Trump's dirty-work for him. You can't spin what was said positively... you can only go on the offensive.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 01:53:14 AM »

Luntz's focus groups have already been exposed as rigged for Rubio. I'm sure he'd have said he won the robot moment too.

In other words, let's dispel with this fiction that Frank Luntz doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Luntz's focus group's determination that Rubio won the last Fox News debate was confirmed by the post-debate polling - and, ultimately, the Iowa caucus results.  I don't think they are rigged for Rubio.

Most of the Democrats and ironic Democrat-leaning Trump supporters on this board don't understand Republican debate audiences and can't tell who is giving the most effective debate answers.  Rubio's canned talking point answers resonate with the ordinary Republican primary voter more than most of the other Republican candidates.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 02:12:41 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2016, 02:17:17 AM by Joe Republic »

You are the campaign manager of Marco Rubio and the debate just ended. You glance down at your phone, you see you already have a dozen missed calls. It's time for you to step out in the spin room and face the media

How do you spin Rubio's debate performance to the press

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer

How do you salvage the election between now and Tuesday?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Smith_(sea_captain)
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 02:21:00 AM »

Luntz's focus group's determination that Rubio won the last Fox News debate was confirmed by the post-debate polling - and, ultimately, the Iowa caucus results.  I don't think they are rigged for Rubio.

Most of the Democrats and ironic Democrat-leaning Trump supporters on this board don't understand Republican debate audiences and can't tell who is giving the most effective debate answers.  Rubio's canned talking point answers resonate with the ordinary Republican primary voter more than most of the other Republican candidates.

Exactly this ^^^

Christie has always had strong debate performances but when have they helped them? Remember, Atlas thought John Kasich won the first debate (myself included), this just goes to show that we are VERY out of touch with the average Republican primary voter, so I think any attempt to analyze the effect of Rubio's gaffe needs to be done through the lens of a Republican primary voter.

This will stump his momentum, sure, but there's no way it will end his campaign.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 03:40:07 AM »

Here's how they're spinning it, lol.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 03:42:36 AM »

LOL what a joke!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 03:47:33 AM »

Wow, what an appalling strategy.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 03:52:11 AM »

I mean, it's really all they can do. They can't exactly embrace the fact that he did poorly 3 days before a crucial primary that could very well make or break his campaign.

Jeb got pretty lucky that he f'd up in the early debates, so he could at least admit he did poorly and have time to improve, and it looks like he actually has. This was the absolute worst time for Rubio to melt down.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 04:18:46 AM »

I think it's a good stratgey, frankly. It will dampen the negative effects of the gaffe.
Plus Rubio was good on other issues (talking points).
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 04:19:58 AM »

I think it's a good stratgey, frankly. It will dampen the negative effects of the gaffe.
Plus Rubio was good on other issues (talking points).

Only if the media is prepared to spin that for the campaign... so far it doesn't seem like it is.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 09:41:59 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2016, 09:46:29 AM by Fuzzy Bear »

By admitting that Rubio had a bad moment, but emphasizing that Rubio recovered and had good second half of the debate.  I'm not sure if there was a Luntz focus group tonight, but if there was, I wouldn't be surprised if Rubio's answers on what it means to be a conservative and abortion scored well with Republican primary voters.

I don't think anything can be salvaged between today and Tuesday.  Tomorrow's pretty much a dead day in the campaign, leaving only Monday to really change message.  I'd pivot to focus on Rubio's accomplishments in Washington and Tallahassee, if possible.

Luntz's focus group's determination that Rubio won the last Fox News debate was confirmed by the post-debate polling - and, ultimately, the Iowa caucus results.  I don't think they are rigged for Rubio.

Most of the Democrats and ironic Democrat-leaning Trump supporters on this board don't understand Republican debate audiences and can't tell who is giving the most effective debate answers.  Rubio's canned talking point answers resonate with the ordinary Republican primary voter more than most of the other Republican candidates.

Exactly this ^^^

Christie has always had strong debate performances but when have they helped them? Remember, Atlas thought John Kasich won the first debate (myself included), this just goes to show that we are VERY out of touch with the average Republican primary voter, so I think any attempt to analyze the effect of Rubio's gaffe needs to be done through the lens of a Republican primary voter.

This will stump his momentum, sure, but there's no way it will end his campaign.

Rubio looked BAD.  I can't think of any candidate who was skewered in the manner Christie skewered Rubio go on to win the nomination.

If I were the campaign manager, I'd shift gears in the following manner:

(A)  Having quadrupled down on the argument that Obama Knows What He's Doing, I'd urge Rubio to own it and turn the tables.  I'd point out how the whole field of candidates have perpetually underestimated Barack Obama, only to find themselves on the short end of the stick.  I'd point out how Obama has outsmarted mainstream Repubicans time and again in a tactical sense.  That's one of the anti-Establishment's main points; the fact that despite electing Republicans, Obama keeps stymieing them.

(B)  As a natural follow-up to point (A) here, I'd urge Rubio to expand on the issue of Obama's attempts to be DELIBERATELY TRANSFORMATIVE as a theme to appeal to religious and cultural conservatives.  This is a point important to them, and Rubio has a real opening here.  These folks don't want America changing, and Rubio can attack folks like Christie of being insufficiently concerned about this issue.  He can point out that he is an immigrant from an immigrant group who came to America in the tradition of Ellis Island immigrants, valuing freedom and fleeing Communist oppression, and not from a tradition of merely wanting to take from America, while harboring a grudge against it.  He can point out that it was Obama that managed public opinion to where America's views on SSM have, indeed, been transformed.  He can cite Obama as an agent of transforming America into a society where there is disincentive for family formation, and make coherent arguments as to how conservative policies that encourage family formation make for a more stable society.

(C)  I would advise Marco Rubio that he needs to go all out to smoosh Christie.  He can attack Christie by comparing himself to Abraham Lincoln while comparing Christie to Stephen A. Douglas.  Lincoln was never a Governor before he became President.  Oh, and by the way, Jimmy Carter was a Governor of Georgia, and a celebrated Governor to boot; he was the Governor that told Georgians that the time for racial discrimination was over.  "How'd that work out, Chris?" he could say.  He can; indeed, he MUST point out how Christie overinflates his credentials in anti-terrorism.  "Christie:  Overinflating himself.  Again."  Given what Christie weighs, even after bariatric surgery, this would be devastating.  He could be photographed working out, in comparison to Fat Slob Christie.  He needs to attack Christie, even though Christie isn't his main obstacle, because Christie made him look BAD, and he has to take care of business.

Rubio's been exposed as a man of limited accomplishments, and he can't really respond to this.  I don't know if he can pull off what I proposed here, but that's his pathway to recovery.  All eyes are on Rubio right now to see how he handles being made to look bad.  We're not at "Oops!" just yet, but we're heading there at warp speed.  If Rubio can turn this around, he'll be a better pol than I've ever given him credit for.  As a campaign manager, my job would be to reframe Rubio's campaign by reframing Rubio as being the only guy in the race who really "gets it".  This is not as difficult as it seems, but it is tough, and it's the only path Rubio can take to avoid being drowned by the others.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 09:59:21 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2016, 10:08:12 AM by Torie »

I don't think Rubio does his homework enough. He needs to show more depth on the issues. By doing that, it would help to put to rest he's not ready to be POTUS, as a young man with few accomplishments. That is what Obama did. It can be done. But I have doubts that Rubio will be able to do it. In the meantime, just look at my new signature. The Boston Herald is a conservative newspaper. This is a really, really cold shower for Rubio. Maybe it will waken him up.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 10:01:25 AM »

He needs to figure out what he's doing.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 10:26:03 AM »

I would probably send him out to a plethora of town hall meetings and video tape him taking questions from the audience....but then again he probably would flub up that too so....don't know.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »

We need to shut down this campaign until we can figure out what's going on.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »

We need to shut down this campaign until we can figure out what's going on.

Let's dispel with this fiction that we don't know what's going on, we know exactly what's going on.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies