Gloriana Steinem : Young women are for Bernie as that's where the boys are
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:08:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Gloriana Steinem : Young women are for Bernie as that's where the boys are
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gloriana Steinem : Young women are for Bernie as that's where the boys are  (Read 1662 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »

The feminist icon is drawing hackles online for comments made Friday on HBO’s “Real Time With Bill Maher“
Feminist icon Gloria Steinem has drawn the wrath of the Twitterverse for suggesting that young women supporting Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign are doing so to gain the attention of men.
“When you’re young, you’re thinking, ‘Where are the boys? The boys are with Bernie,'” Steinem told Bill Maher Friday night on the comic’s HBO show “Real Time.”
Maher leapt right on her comment. “Now if I said that, ‘Yeah, they’re for Bernie because that’s where the boys are,’ you’d slap me,” he said.
- See more at: https://www.thewrap.com/gloria-steinem-slammed-for-suggesting-young-women-support-bernie-sanders-to-chase-boys/#sthash.5s87mtER.dpuf

https://www.thewrap.com/gloria-steinem-slammed-for-suggesting-young-women-support-bernie-sanders-to-chase-boys/

Albright: 'special place in hell' for women who don't support Clinton

Former secretary of state Madeleine Albright introduced Hillary Clinton at an event in New Hampshire on Saturday, telling the crowd and voters in general: “There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other!”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/06/madeleine-albright-campaigns-for-hillary-clinton

Why do they say these stupid things? Is this really gonna help them get young women to vote for Hillary?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:41:17 AM »

For a supposed 'feminist icon', I don't think that's a very feminist thing to say.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »

It's a pretty stupid, insulting comment and will probably just alienate young feminists from the Clinton camp more.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:47:53 AM »

Appearing on Real Time aside notorious clownish idiot Bill Maher tends to have a stupefying effect on people. Sad.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 09:50:10 AM »

Steinem's an idiot.  Period.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 09:55:05 AM »

I find the comment quite amusing. Was she being serious?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »

I actually think Clinton was going well, she was not going too hard to Sanders (prior to this debate) & most of all she had a good line about being glad these people are voting and stuff.

In 2-3 months, things will cool, Sanders will probably campaign for her & some (maybe not all) of these people will vote for her. Clinton actually stood next to Albright & was laughing & enjoying the comment!!! Very bad  & this will do her more harm than good.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »

I find the comment quite amusing. Was she being serious?

Maher actually asked her " You can't be serious or something", "That is serious", You would have blasted me and stuff.

And she was like, no I am right, that is exactly how it is
Panda Express

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 10:01:45 AM »

hillary's milkshakes don't bring the boys to the yard Sad
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 10:07:59 AM »

100% agree with her, though we should focus our disdain on the vile Bernie Bros that are actively sexist and harmful.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 10:28:12 AM »

100% agree with her, though we should focus our disdain on the vile Bernie Bros that are actively sexist and harmful.

I initially could not believe that O Reilly believed what he said. Do you seriously believe what you say? Or are you trolling because that was a terribly insulting & sexist thing to say?
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »

Please, please, PLEASE don't be serious.

Anyways, we need to lay this whole "I'm voting for Hillary Clinton because she's a woman" reasoning to rest. If anybody said "I'm voting for Trump/Cruz/Sanders/Rubio because he's a man", imagine everything that would happen to them. They'd be called misogynist, they'd be called sexist. But voting for Clinton because of her gender is okay.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 10:39:03 AM »

Anyways, we need to lay this whole "I'm voting for Hillary Clinton because she's a woman" reasoning to rest. If anybody said "I'm voting for Trump/Cruz/Sanders/Rubio because he's a man", imagine everything that would happen to them. They'd be called misogynist, they'd be called sexist. But voting for Clinton because of her gender is okay.
Roll Eyes

Yes she does deserve more credit as the most qualified and experienced Democratic candidate in generations, which is the main reason she has such widespread support. But it's perfectly fine if her being a woman is the cherry on top for a lot of people. I'm so sorry it offends you so much when marginalized groups of society want to be represented.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 10:40:34 AM »

It's a pretty stupid, insulting comment and will probably just alienate young feminists from the Clinton camp more.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »

I don't think Gloria Steinem is the type to make a comment like that without having a good reason. Younger people do often have trivial reasons for taking particular action. For the most part Sanders has the support of younger voters because he's offering the moon.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »

I don't think Gloria Steinem is the type to make a comment like that without having a good reason. Younger people do often have trivial reasons for taking particular action. For the most part Sanders has the support of younger voters because he's offering the moon.

You actually think she is right in saying that? Was that statement not disgusting ?

And people here criticize Bernie fans!!!! Hillary fans here are acting like Trump, i hope that is not the case with the millions who are not because with this attitude, a general will be impossible !
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 11:36:09 AM »

Roll Eyes

Yes she does deserve more credit as the most qualified and experienced Democratic candidate in generations, which is the main reason she has such widespread support. But it's perfectly fine if her being a woman is the cherry on top for a lot of people. I'm so sorry it offends you so much when marginalized groups of society want to be represented.

I merely said that voting for somebody only because of their gender is bad, no matter what their gender is. Would you say that that is false?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 11:39:30 AM »

I merely said that voting for somebody only because of their gender is bad, no matter what their gender is.

The thing is that no one actually does that, but of course, this debate only ever comes up when Hillary Clinton is running. It doesn't come up when other Democratic women or even Republican women run for office. Only when Hillary does. Ain't that just keen?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »

You actually think she is right in saying that? Was that statement not disgusting ?

And people here criticize Bernie fans!!!! Hillary fans here are acting like Trump, i hope that is not the case with the millions who are not because with this attitude, a general will be impossible !

Like I said, she's not the type to make a statement like that without a good reason. Sanders fans go around calling Clinton names like bitch and whore, yet get offended when someone points out that some of his supporters might have a trivial reason for supporting him.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 11:41:01 AM »

I merely said that voting for somebody only because of their gender is bad, no matter what their gender is.

The thing is that no one actually does that, but of course, this debate only ever comes up when Hillary Clinton is running. It doesn't come up when other Democratic women or even Republican women run for office. Only when Hillary does. Ain't that just keen?

No, not really. As a matter of fact, I know of several different people who only vote for Hillary Clinton because she's a woman. Stop having such a persecution complex.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »

When people say they're supporting someone because they're a woman, they're black, etc it's probably just an aspect about the candidate that excites them the most, and there's nothing wrong with that considering we're severely lagging behind in having a female head of state. I'm incredibly excited that the frontrunner for the presidency is a woman, but that doesn't mean I'd vote for ANY woman, and most other people wouldn't either. The few that would are a very minuscule fraction and there's no use getting worked up about it. Everyone knows that so stop playing dumb and putting people in boxes to fit your "Hillary wouldn't win if she wasn't a woman oh my gosh stop the persecution of men" agenda.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 11:48:24 AM »

No, not really. As a matter of fact, I know of several different people who only vote for Hillary Clinton because she's a woman. Stop having such a persecution complex.

k
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2016, 11:53:12 AM by Shadows »

Like I said, she's not the type to make a statement like that without a good reason. Sanders fans go around calling Clinton names like bitch and whore, yet get offended when someone points out that some of his supporters might have a trivial reason for supporting him.

I have not seen any Sanders fan call her a bitch or a whore and I have seen many angry posts at her ( & we have thousands - We have threads calling for ban of all anti-Clinton posts, discussing about restraints so that we can focus on a pro-Sanders & focus on Canvassing, Phone Banking & helping him win - I am very anti-Hillary & I have never called her those things)

Those are your likely Clinton surrogates who  want to make Sanders fans look bad. What Sanders fans including me think is they she is BOUGHT by Corporates, Fake, Dishonest & a lier. And with good reason, backed up with logic & facts and a good section of media have similar views.

You have to realize what kind of a disgusting statement you made. You basically called all those women who support Bernie as sluts - they do that to get the boys.

You basically said they have no judgement, they can not take a decision on their own, they have no mind of their own - A disgusting Sexist comment
85% of young women voted for Bernie, they are all sluts, who go their for men?
It is sad that Hillary is running to be the 1st Woman President where her fans are calling 85% of young women as sluts & people who have no brain/are incapable of making a decision.

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »

Have they actually said, "I don't care about her positions, I just care that she's a woman" or something like that? Most women and Democrats in general agree with her positions more based on actual polls, not anecdotes.

And it's not a persecution complex. I literally just joined Team Hillary in this past month. During the 2014 election threads on here no one made issues of Monica Wehby or Terri Lynn Land or Jeanne Shaheen being women. The only discussion of gender happened in Colorado's Senate race and Texas' gubernatorial election, and it was nowhere near this.

You and jfern constantly bring this stuff up in threads about Hillary. Stop your concern trolling about these anecdotal women you claim to know only care about Hillary's gender, because we've gone through this in 2008 before and it's all bullsh_t, time and time again.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies