Should the standards for substitute teachers be higher?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:39:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the standards for substitute teachers be higher?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the standards for substitute teachers be higher?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Should the standards for substitute teachers be higher?  (Read 1433 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:36:07 PM »

Absolutely. I've heard some embarrassingly low standards for subs in some states, to the point where it's basically just like a temp agency low wage job for many. Increase the pay, along with the standards.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 12:37:28 PM »

I'd argue that teaching as a whole should have higher standards.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »

Actual teacher here, who has worked as a sub in the past.

The most important part of being a sub is class management. That's something no amount of standards can fix, it's something you learn from experience. Kids will test you and you need to be consistent with punishment. Also, teachers know that other than their "good" classes not much work will be done. When I subbed I'd usually just say "I have two rules. 1. Look like you're busy. 2. Keep the noise down. You're in (this grade), you know the consequences if you don't do your work."

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »

I heard I need a bachelor's, so I plan on trying to register as a sub as soon as I can after graduation in case there're no jobs to be found.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 01:34:48 PM »

You have NO RIGHT to CRITICIZE the hard working substitute teachers in this country. I hear they get up 4 AM every morning enthused to think about what potential class they are going to help that day. They play a critical role in helping our children develop.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 01:36:15 PM »

I heard I need a bachelor's, so I plan on trying to register as a sub as soon as I can after graduation in case there're no jobs to be found.

The requirements are different in each state. I know in Rhode Island you need a permit issued by the RI department of education. In Massachusetts there is no permit needed, just a bachelors.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »

Of course.  We wouldn't want some creepy freak signing up to sub just so they can love on supervise the kids all day.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »

Oh my god yeah they do.  I just looked up the requirements for my state, and I can become a sub right now, a 19 year old College Freshman.  All I needed is a High school Diploma and I would have to take a Background Check.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 02:26:13 PM »

Oh my god yeah they do.  I just looked up the requirements for my state, and I can become a sub right now, a 19 year old College Freshman.  All I needed is a High school Diploma and I would have to take a Background Check.

That right there is ridiculous. Having a 19 year old supervise students who are essentially their peers would cause nothing but trouble.

If I were the principal I would never hire someone that age.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 02:26:52 PM »

Yes. I've always been perplexed by how easy it is to qualify to substitute teach in Michigan.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 03:09:08 PM »

Probably, but why?  Aren't they, quite literally, baby sitters 98% of the time?  The only time you'd want a good teacher as a sub is if they are going to be in the same class for a week or more.  Otherwise, a good wrangler of children is much more important than the ability to teach.  And while they may teach child wrangling at University, I haven't seen much proof of it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »

Probably, but why?  Aren't they, quite literally, baby sitters 98% of the time?  The only time you'd want a good teacher as a sub is if they are going to be in the same class for a week or more.  Otherwise, a good wrangler of children is much more important than the ability to teach.  And while they may teach child wrangling at University, I haven't seen much proof of it.

I think part of the reason they are babysitters so often is because people who really aren't qualified to teach end up being able to sub. Ideally, a sub should be doing more than just sticking in a DVD or overseeing a "study" hour.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 03:53:23 PM »

Let me just tell people that, at least in my hometown in RI...

* HALF of classes who need subs each day don't get them

They have a Substitute Teacher shortage. They need more subs.

I don't know what the situation is like in every city, but you have to remember this side of it. Subs are in high demand, but there might not be as many as needed.

I subbed for two months when I was between jobs (in RI you need to have a Bachelor's, Two Letters of  Recommendation, and a Background Check), but I also worked in a classroom for a year before that. And yes, behavior management, being able to command the students' attention/respect, is the biggest part of the job. I'm not sure if it can really be taught, it just needs to come from experience, I think.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »

Absolutely. I've heard some embarrassingly low standards for subs in some states, to the point where it's basically just like a temp agency low wage job for many. Increase the pay, along with the standards.
I read a pioneer press article about some Minnesota schools doing away with subs. Of course one of them was Farmington which is a suburb.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »

Ideally, yes.  But the problem is where do you find the money needed to recruit better qualified substitutes?

I think perhaps what is needed is a radical rethink of our education system, at least in the lower grades.  Rather than smaller class sizes, larger classes with multiple teachers might well be better and then you wouldn't even need a sub if a teacher were occasionally out of the classroom.  The single teacher classroom doesn't seem to me to be an optimum model.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 05:31:49 PM »

My district has 2-3 "building subs" in each school, these are people who show up everyday rather than on a day to day basis. They still receive the sub's rate of pay (which isn't that great) but they do get benefits. Plus since they're in the same school everyday and not being shuffled around districts it helps foster a relationship with the kids which helps with management. This system works better than the standard day day model most schools use.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 05:34:52 PM »

That sounds like much to good of an idea to catch on.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »

Yes. I've heard that Oklahoma in particular has pretty low standards.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »

Yes. I've heard that Oklahoma in particular has pretty low standards.

Yes, if ODF can become one the standard ain't the standard.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »

Ideally, yes.  But the problem is where do you find the money needed to recruit better qualified substitutes?

I think perhaps what is needed is a radical rethink of our education system, at least in the lower grades.  Rather than smaller class sizes, larger classes with multiple teachers might well be better and then you wouldn't even need a sub if a teacher were occasionally out of the classroom.  The single teacher classroom doesn't seem to me to be an optimum model.

From what I've heard, at least in areas of Wayne County, there are so many people taking day-to-day spots that sometimes the truly qualified people can't pick up the open spot in time.

And there does need to be a change in how the qualification system works. For the most part, someone who's qualified to teach 1st grade should be able to sub in a 2nd grade class, but they might not be able to adequately sub in a Calculus class. Having the same standards for both makes no sense.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 01:38:58 PM »

Meh. Don't really see how we can expect substitutes to come in to work one morning, read a very brief lesson plan prepared in haste, and have the same amount of subject knowledge and ability to teach and instruct as the teacher who has spent countless hours studying the standards of learning and the pace at which the standards must be taught. Do we really think a random substitute can teach a guest lecture in high school pre-calculus SOL requirement S.42.1 one day and then immediately teach 4th graders the SOL requirement S.618.221 on rock types  the next day? Teaching children is not something you just do, it involves knowledge of your subject matter, requirements, and the needs and limitations of your students.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 01:44:52 PM »

Well, Substitutes aren't usually expected to teach new material, just
1. Keep order in the classroom
2. Keep them busy and on-track with class work
3. Maybe oversee testing
James Monroe

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 02:47:08 PM »

With the position being nothing more than a glorified baby sitter I think it time to reform the process. It would be great if the person applying has experience with the subject matter, as some teachers will take a vacation or two and the class has to learn the material without being disruptive now their primarily teacher taking a break. Substituting should also be unionzied and cooperate with the local teacher union.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »

In Ontario, all substitute teachers are certified teachers who are basically forced onto the supply list as "Step 1" in getting a permanent teaching position. Many of them are innovative and dedicated professionals who would probably make for way better full-time teachers than the aging ones on staff or the younger ones who get jobs because they have parents working at the school board (happens a lot). So I realize the situation may be different in the US, but I'm not keen to slander substitute teachers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies