Senate GOP: No Hearings or Vote on Potential Obama Supreme Court Pick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:02:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate GOP: No Hearings or Vote on Potential Obama Supreme Court Pick
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Senate GOP: No Hearings or Vote on Potential Obama Supreme Court Pick  (Read 1680 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 04:00:21 PM »

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot: If a president was at the beginning of their term, a justice died, and the President decided they were happy with the new balance of the Court and flat out refused to nominate anyone to fill the vacancy (possibly hoping for a more favorable Senate after the midterms), what would happen? Because I think congress would be well within their rights to consider impeachment.

Well, it might, MIGHT be unconstitutional but that doesn't necessarily make it illegal, no? Lawmakers from time to time pass, or try to pass laws/regulations they know are unconstitutional beforehand and never get in trouble. So, as I understand it, the president has to be convicted of 'high crimes and misdemeanors', which forgoing a nomination is neither.

However, the only reason I can think of him leaving the spot empty is if he knows he can't get a super liberal justice confirmed despite him really wanting that for whatever reasons, so he just doesn't nominate anyone, hoping the Senate composition will change by next election. It would be much easier to just keep nominating people they know will fail, though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies