Marco Rubio's blowing it... for 2020 and 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:51:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Marco Rubio's blowing it... for 2020 and 2024
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marco Rubio's blowing it... for 2020 and 2024  (Read 4455 times)
politicallpd
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:18:26 PM »
« edited: February 07, 2016, 06:21:55 PM by politicallpd »

Here's my operating theory, and maybe it's just wishful thinking.

It's widely assumed that should Rubio lose the nomination in 2016, he would return to Florida to run for Governor in 2018, setting him up for another run in 2020 or 2024 depending on the popularity of the incumbent.

That won't happen. Maybe he'll win the governorship, but he'll never be President. Rubio's approval/disapproval ratings nationwide have fallen from +10 to -6, and the trend-line is negative. In his home state of Florida, a recent CBS poll asked whether certain candidates were "consistent" in their views. Rubio polled the lowest at 54-46. Mind you, this is among a Republican primary electorate.

Two years is a long time. When/if Rubio runs in 4 or 8 years, he'll no longer be seen as "new" or "fresh"-- his one advantage. If Rubio leaves voters with a sour taste in his mouth in 2016, time will march on-- without him.
Panda Express

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »

Marco Rubio has been "blowing it" for quite some time.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »

Marco Rubio has been "blowing it" for quite some time.

Jeez you people Sad
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »

And this is why it's generally a bad idea for freshman Senators to run for President. Maybe he'll help Tom Cotton and a few others decide to wait until 2024 or 2028.

If he does run for Governor (or Senate, which is something of a possibility) I doubt he could run to soon into his term. 2024 would be okay for him, except for the things you said.

I'm imagining this horrific future in which former Florida Senator Marco Rubio becomes our generation's Harold Stassen Tongue
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 06:54:20 PM »

I think he knows this is his only chance and that's why he ran.  Ryan, not Rubio, is the 2020/24 GOP point man.

Nah...Ryan's Speaker of the House. That position is not friendly to Presidential ambitions because he has to become the point man for the GOP agenda on every issue. Ryan's lost his flexibility and will be running as the living embodiment of the GOP agenda.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 06:58:34 PM »

And this is why it's generally a bad idea for freshman Senators to run for President. Maybe he'll help Tom Cotton and a few others decide to wait until 2024 or 2028.

If he does run for Governor (or Senate, which is something of a possibility) I doubt he could run to soon into his term. 2024 would be okay for him, except for the things you said.

I'm imagining this horrific future in which former Florida Senator Marco Rubio becomes our generation's Harold Stassen Tongue

I mean running for president as a freshman Senator clearly worked out for this guy.

If he can do it, I fail to see why Rubio can't.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »

From what I've heard Rubio is not popular in Florida among the GOP circles, and would face a hard run in Florida. Not only would he face Nixon comparisons (ala 1962) but he'd also not want to become Governor. People like Christie are suited for the office whilst people like Obama and Rubio simply aren't. He's never been a policy expert (like Bush or Jindal) or been an energetic warrior (like Christie)

He'll do an Edwards, run in 2020 and completely blow out. He's the John Edwards of this election, minus the sex scandal (that's for 2020)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 07:02:08 PM »

I mean running for president as a freshman Senator clearly worked out for this guy.

The thing is, Barack Obama knew exactly what he was doing. Rubio, on the other hand...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 07:07:20 PM »

Because Obama isn't an over-rehearsed robot idiot. Obama can think on his feet. Rubio knew Christie was going to come at him for being a bubble boy, and instead of fighting that perception, he gave the same bad "Obama is a marxist communist and KNOWS that he is killing the country" line five times.

I've seen no evidence that Rubio is anything but an average intelligence person who met the right people.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 07:09:35 PM »

Obama is intelligent, Rubio is not. The man is a moron, period.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 07:37:34 PM »

People keep making the comparison without forgetting where it breaks down-

2.1 HS GPA
Santa Fe Community College
Programmed Speeches

Vs.

Columbia University
Harvard Law
The Orator of a Generation
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 08:29:40 PM »

People say that Rubio will run for Governor of Florida if he doesn't become the monimee.  Of course, the question is whether or not Rubio could be elected Governor of Florida.  He'd be running for an office after leaving an office to run for President from and lose.  Could he win a Republican primary?  There are other Republicans who want to be Governor, most notably FL Attorney General Pam Bondi, who has won statewide twice.  Why should she step aside for Rubio, especially when she's term limited?  Why would Republican voters view Rubio as someone deserving?  How would Rubio be viewed by independents after running a failed Presidential campaign?  And how would Florida's GOP (and the national GOP, for that matter) would view Rubio if, after giving up his seat for a failed Presidential run, Democrat Patrick Murphy wins Rubio's Senate seat? 

If Rubio fails to become the nominee, he needs to immediately get some kind of high-profile Cabinet level position.  Even Ambassador to the UN would suffice.  If it's Trump that gets elected and Trump shuts out Rubio, he should try to become RNC Chairman.  Short of that, he'll become a has-been. 

RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »

People say that Rubio will run for Governor of Florida if he doesn't become the monimee.  Of course, the question is whether or not Rubio could be elected Governor of Florida.  He'd be running for an office after leaving an office to run for President from and lose.  Could he win a Republican primary?  There are other Republicans who want to be Governor, most notably FL Attorney General Pam Bondi, who has won statewide twice.  Why should she step aside for Rubio, especially when she's term limited?  Why would Republican voters view Rubio as someone deserving?  How would Rubio be viewed by independents after running a failed Presidential campaign?  And how would Florida's GOP (and the national GOP, for that matter) would view Rubio if, after giving up his seat for a failed Presidential run, Democrat Patrick Murphy wins Rubio's Senate seat? 

If Rubio fails to become the nominee, he needs to immediately get some kind of high-profile Cabinet level position.  Even Ambassador to the UN would suffice.  If it's Trump that gets elected and Trump shuts out Rubio, he should try to become RNC Chairman.  Short of that, he'll become a has-been. 

Remember that Bill Nelson's seat is going to be in election in 2018... Rubio can broke a deal to get free-run in gubernatorial race.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 10:40:23 PM »

Thnk goodness, no Gov Rubio or Prez Rubio.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 03:08:46 AM »

2020 depends on who is the winner this time. I still think Rubio is gonna be the nominee this year, but he’ll lose against Hillary. Not sure about a rematch in four years, probably her opponent would be someone else (like Tom Cotton or Jeff Flake). If the second most likely GOP nominee, The Trumpster, is the candidate and loses, Rubio might emerge as one of the 2020 frontrunners. If The Trumpster (or any other GOPer) somehow manages to win the presidency, there is no chance until 2024.
politicallpd
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 05:56:48 AM »

Remember that Bill Nelson's seat is going to be in election in 2018... Rubio can broke a deal to get free-run in gubernatorial race.

But why would Florida be inclined to give him another go in the Senate? He's already said he doesn't want to be there, and disrespected the office by not showing up.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 03:37:46 PM »

The thing is, Barack Obama knew exactly what he was doing. Rubio, on the other hand...

Let's dispel with this fiction that Marco Rubio doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. Marco Rubio is undertaking a problematic effort to become the GOP's golden boy, when he's just not. That's why he repetitively refers to a "New American Century" even though he's filled with old ideas. It is a ridiculous attempt to be someone he's not. When a Democrat is elected president this November, we are going to embrace all the things that make America a dignified country and we are going to leave our children with what they deserve: an exceptional nation filled with equal opportunity and limitless potential for every citizen.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 04:03:44 PM »

Thnk goodness, no Gov Rubio or Prez Rubio.

Don't rule out a governor Rubio....
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »

We have to dispel with this notion that Marco Rubio is going to run for governor of Florida in 2018. I've been repeating this again and again.

What is Rubio going to say when asked during a 2018 campaign if he will launch a run for president his first year in office? Will he deny it and then reverse himself? Be non-committal? A governor running for re-election is a different case. Is there any example of someone launching a campaign for president and decamping for Iowa and New Hampshire in their 1st year as a governor? The closest examples are California governors Reagan in 1968 and Jerry Brown in 1976 but campaigns started later in those days. Even if Rubio tried a Fall entry- unlikely giving his focus on a war chest- what new experience would he be able to talk about having now? Blowing off a different job? He'll be attacked again and this time will say "We have to dispel with this notion that President Clinton doesn't know what she's doing…"

Also, what if he ran and lost?!

It makes no sense to set up a 2020 run with a 2018 gub run. It makes somewhat more sense to set up a 2024 run, except then you're taking 2020 off the table and I assume he's running in 4 years whether he wins or loses this time, unless a Republican is elected.  But also if Rubio is not the nominee, it will likely be Cruz or Trump who are not exactly evidence that what Rubio was missing was a governor stint on his resume. Even if we get President Cruz or Trump and Rubio plans to wait for 2024, I think he's more likely to try to make as much money as he can than to run for governor. If we get President Clinton or Sanders, I assume Rubio will begin his 2020 campaign before the end of November and announce a pass on a guber run pretty quickly.
DS0816
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »

Tom Cotton will never be president of the United States.

As for Marco Rubio—Let’s see what happens with New Hampshire tomorrow.

ViaActiva

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 04:37:34 PM »

Let's dispel with this fiction that Marco Rubio doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. Marco Rubio is undertaking a problematic effort to become the GOP's golden boy, when he's just not. That's why he repetitively refers to a "New American Century" even though he's filled with old ideas. It is a ridiculous attempt to be someone he's not. When a Democrat is elected president this November, we are going to embrace all the things that make America a dignified country and we are going to leave our children with what they deserve: an exceptional nation filled with equal opportunity and limitless potential for every citizen.

Marco Rubio doesn't know what it's like to live paycheque to paycheque.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies