Will Sanders run as a Democrat or independent in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:23:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Sanders run as a Democrat or independent in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Sanders run as a Democrat or independent in 2018?  (Read 3540 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2016, 07:57:58 PM »

He formally switched his registration to Democratic in 2015, but will he run as one, or switch back upon losing the nomination?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:00:03 PM »

He formally switched his registration to Democratic in 2015, but will he run as one, or switch back upon losing the nomination?

There's no party registration in Vermont, so he didn't change anything. But yeah, he'll run for reelection as an Indy if he loses the nomination or general. (I don't believe Hillary's inevitable)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:22:26 PM »

I prefer Peter Welch to running in 2018.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:40:12 PM »

Honestly, I can see Sanders retiring. He'll be 77 in 2018, and with this campaign he's guaranteed that he'll be able to continue as a spokesman for the activist left in America even if he no longer holds elective office. Running a presidential campaign does not mean you are still enthused to serve in a legislature (if anything, it may mean the opposite). I think Sanders may be among the likeliest 2018 retirements. His seat is safe D (probably more specifically safe Peter Welch), of course.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »

Retirement seems more likely to me.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 02:42:52 AM »

He's going to run again.

1. He's willing to run for president. Two terms as President and one more term as Senator would end at the same time.
2. He seems to be in good health.
3. There are plenty of senators older than him running for reelection, such as Grassley, Shelby, McCain, and Leahy.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 03:15:49 AM »

Sanders runs and runs since early 1970s. He may become tired someday..
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 03:24:27 AM »

With more free trade agreements and more collective bargainings  with Hilary & Speaker Ryan, hes not gonna have his agenda items passed. It would be wise to let Welch, who is a old style Dem, like Carney win that seat
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 03:29:30 AM »

If he runs, he'll do it as Democrat I think.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 07:18:48 AM »

With more free trade agreements and more collective bargainings  with Hilary & Speaker Ryan, hes not gonna have his agenda items passed. It would be wise to let Welch, who is a old style Dem, like Carney win that seat

We have no idea what things will be like in 2024. Obviously I don't expect all of Sanders's views to be mainstream then, but he might have a little luck with center-left proposals if there are Democrats in power.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »

Just decided to look into this:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »

I don't know if Bernie will become president, but considering that he's leading the Democratic primaries in pledged delegates and that he's beating all Republicans in national polls, I don't see the point of this thread.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 04:18:21 PM »

I don't know if Bernie will become president, but considering that he's leading the Democratic primaries in pledged delegates and that he's beating all Republicans in national polls, I don't see the point of this thread.

By that logic, we should've seriously considered the prospect of a McCain presidency when early results from Kentucky came in and he led in the popular vote and electoral vote.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 04:27:46 PM »

By that logic, we should've seriously considered the prospect of a McCain presidency when early results from Kentucky came in and he led in the popular vote and electoral vote.

Well if you don't think it's a possibility, you're clearly stupid (or a Clinton fanatic which still makes you stupid).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »

Well if you don't think it's a possibility, you're clearly stupid (or a Clinton fanatic which still makes you stupid).

Why lash out at inevitability? It's far better to just accept it. Wink
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »

Perhaps you could stop spending so much money on the Kool-Aid that you're drinking.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 05:05:37 PM »

Perhaps you could stop spending so much money on the Kool-Aid that you're drinking.

I'm the one drinking Kool-Aid? Don't you hate Hillary Clinton because the media told you to? lol
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »

I'm the one drinking Kool-Aid? Don't you hate Hillary Clinton because the media told you to? lol

Not because the media told me to, no.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 10:44:57 PM »

He may run as a Democrat in 2018, if he loses the presidency. However, some Vermont Democrats may be disillusioned with some of his tactics while he ran for president. Safe D/I if he runs again.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 03:46:19 PM »

Honestly, I can see Sanders retiring. He'll be 77 in 2018, and with this campaign he's guaranteed that he'll be able to continue as a spokesman for the activist left in America even if he no longer holds elective office. Running a presidential campaign does not mean you are still enthused to serve in a legislature (if anything, it may mean the opposite). I think Sanders may be among the likeliest 2018 retirements. His seat is safe D (probably more specifically safe Peter Welch), of course.

What about Shumlin?

The guy who barely won reelection in Vermont? No.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 07:34:21 PM »

He may run as a Democrat in 2018, if he loses the presidency. However, some Vermont Democrats may be disillusioned with some of his tactics while he ran for president. Safe D/I if he runs again.

I have no doubt that we'll hear a lot about that 13.6% of Vermont Democrats.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »

I have no doubt that we'll hear a lot about that 13.6% of Vermont Democrats.

But Hill... never mind, we all get the point.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 08:02:42 PM »

Whether he runs as an independent or a Democrat, he will mop the floor with whoever else the other party(ies) put up against him. Vermont Democrats don't give a s[inks]t about him outraging the DNC or not condemning their version of events in the way the DNC would desire. The absolute worst I could see him doing in a three-way race is a small majority of the vote.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »

A lot depends on what happens between now and November. If he does not edorse Clinton and the Senate majority does not depend on it, I could easily see Dems asking him to leave the caucus. I mean, if Republicans want, they could give him a committee assignment and speaking time out of their share.

Even if he stays in the caucus in that case, I cannot think why he should not get Indian Affairs and Aging for committee assignments.

Of course, if he endorses and, actually, campaigns it would be another matter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies