WOW. Before the "Bernie Bro," Clinton supporters created the "Obama boy."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:45:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  WOW. Before the "Bernie Bro," Clinton supporters created the "Obama boy."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WOW. Before the "Bernie Bro," Clinton supporters created the "Obama boy."  (Read 2389 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »

If you follow Matt Bruenig at all, you’d know by now that the idea of the “Bernie Bro” is a complete myth. Indeed, poll after poll shows that the perceived “gender” gap is really nothing more than an age gap. Sanders polls much better than Clinton with young women. It’s like this entire primary is just old Democrats telling young Democrats to get off their lawn. ​

So, Sanders was recently forced to condemn mean sexist people on the internet. Yet, as Gloria Steinem says that young women support Bernie because they are just boy crazy, Clinton is not called to condemn her sexist supporters. And when Madeline Albright tells people that “there is a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other out,” Clinton does not apologize. In fact, she just laughed.

And if you think the Bernie Bro thing is just a creation by the internet, well, the Clinton campaign has officially adopted it…

So where DID this idea that Sanders supporters are super sexist come from? Let’s ask Tom Watson, circa 8 years ago...

The messiah complex in Obama scares the hell out of me - as does his campaign's casual acceptance of sexism so easily in order to win...

— Tom Watson (@tomwatson) February 10, 2008
Wait, it gets worse, yall...

Caqpr2qUsAMDi6L.jpg-large.jpeg

Yes, that is the Rebecca Traister, the same person who wrote this long essay about bernie bros, talking about sexist “Obama Boys.”

And here is Kaili Joy Gray, writing right here at Daily Kos

But I am sad.  I am sad that I will not get to vote for Hillary in November.  And, at the risk of opening myself up to accusations of racism, I will even admit that I'm sad that once again, it would appear that a black man gets there first.  First to vote, first to be elected, first to the Supreme Court.  I don't deny the importance of it; it would be nice, though, if just once, a woman could break through first.

LOL. I guess she will have to re-up this post and just substitute “black” for “Jewish.”

Let’s all go back to pretending like we know that ALL candidates have mean supporters online. And let’s stop listening to same people who tried to silence us in 2008 tell us how sexist we are because we don’t support your preferred candidate. Ok?

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2016/2/8/1481627/-WOW-Before-the-sexist-Bernie-Bro-Clinton-supporters-created-the-sexist-Obama-boy-No-seriously?_=2016-02-08T05:17:11-08:00

Looks like Clinton did the same thing in 2008, with Obama boys & called him sexist, a repeat strategy!
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »

What do you expect from the Clintons? This is really quite mild, given their track record.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:44:58 AM »

This forum isn't a blog. If you want to convince people that the sexist and insulting Twitter posts from Sanders supporters are all Clinton lies, then you'd probably best stay in the diary section at Daily Kos.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »

This forum isn't a blog. If you want to convince people that the sexist and insulting Twitter posts from Sanders supporters are all Clinton lies, then you'd probably best stay in the diary section at Daily Kos.

Every candidate has some bad supporters. For the record, "Berniebros" are a vocal minority that would be more or less unheard of if not for Queen Hillary's campaign.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »

Sexist posts should always be condemned. I condemn it. I have not seen such posts & I believe that apart from stray incidents such things do not happen.

What i feel is that, it is important to know that there is a pattern to all this

Bill Clinton today attacked using these things, DNC Data breach, Wall Street & what not. It is a wonderful tactic, which was used during Obama's tenure too
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 12:11:27 PM »

You really need to take a break from the forum, go lie down for a few hours and reflect on what you're choosing to do with the precious time you have on this earth.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 12:26:14 PM »

Huh. You're right, this is very strange, as we all know that sexism disappeared after 2008 forever.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 01:18:24 PM »

Anyone who follows "tarheel leftist" had heard of this already.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 01:23:21 PM »

I'm a huge fan of Barry and wish he could run again but it's not shocking that some of his supporters expressed their opposition to Hillary in creepy sexist language.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 01:23:52 PM »

Also wait, so even Bernie Sanders pbuh himself speaking out against the Bernie Bros isn't enough to convince you it's a serious issue? lol
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »

Every candidate has some bad supporters. For the record, "Berniebros" are a vocal minority that would be more or less unheard of if not for Queen Hillary's campaign.

No, they would be unheard of if it weren't for Twitter, Reddit, and other social media.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »

Except "Bernie Bro" isn't a creation: It's a real thing. I go to a University - I see this sh**t for real. There's a hotbed of it. Any commentator who dares criticize Bernie sees thousands of pages of Bernie supporters raging against that commentator. Sometimes it's knowledgeable, most of the time it's not.

But oh, I'm just a TRUMP TROLL, so ignore any points I make Roll Eyes
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »

Except "Bernie Bro" isn't a creation: It's a real thing. I go to a University - I see this sh**t for real. There's a hotbed of it.

Yeah but QUEEN HILLARY LOL
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 02:18:03 PM »

Except "Bernie Bro" isn't a creation: It's a real thing. I go to a University - I see this sh**t for real. There's a hotbed of it. Any commentator who dares criticize Bernie sees thousands of pages of Bernie supporters raging against that commentator. Sometimes it's knowledgeable, most of the time it's not.

Sure, "Berniebros" exist if your definition of them is just someone who defends Bernie Sanders online. How does that make them different from supporters of any other candidate ever though?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »

Sure, "Berniebros" exist if your definition of them is just someone who defends Bernie Sanders online. How does that make them different from supporters of any other candidate ever though?

I don't see Clinton, Rubio, Christie, or any other supporters (except TRUMP, who has something of a similar fan-base in this regard) with the same level of vigor, of over-defensiveness, of just general badger-like behavior.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 02:26:04 PM »

I don't see Clinton, Rubio, Christie, or any other supporters (except TRUMP, who has something of a similar fan-base in this regard) with the same level of vigor, of over-defensiveness, of just general badger-like behavior.

You also don't see aggressive over-defensive badger-like Gilmore supporters online. Notice a pattern?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 02:29:27 PM »

I agree with this.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 02:30:54 PM »

Why is the BernieBro stuff being tied to Hillary in a bad way here? The term BernieBro, and the behavior of them, existed before it became more prominent in the media. Unless I am missing something here, it's not like Hillary created the term to slander Sanders with. His own supporters created this issue and brought it to attention.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 02:34:29 PM »

Anyway, I don't mean to imply that "Bernie bros" don't exist. They definitely do. Just look at the comments section of any Facebook post that mentions Bernie Sanders. But some people are exaggerating their presence.

Also we need to define what a "Bernie bro" is. It's often used to mean any aggressive Sanders supporter, but the media tends to use nowadays it to refer exclusively to the sexist ones.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 02:57:51 PM »

Why is the BernieBro stuff being tied to Hillary in a bad way here? The term BernieBro, and the behavior of them, existed before it became more prominent in the media. Unless I am missing something here, it's not like Hillary created the term to slander Sanders with. His own supporters created this issue and brought it to attention.
The term BernieBro originated with Atlantic journalist Robinson Meyer, IIRC.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 02:58:49 PM »

The media and the Clinton campaign are also using a very broad definition of sexism. Saying people only support Clinton because she's a woman is apparently sexist even though prominent Clinton supporters have said they support her primarily because she is a woman.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »

The term BernieBro originated with Atlantic journalist Robinson Meyer, IIRC.

I first heard it in an Atlas post (by d32123 of course) about two weeks after that article, so it checks out.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 04:50:43 PM »

I support Bernie but let's not pretend that misogynist "bros" aren't a problem on social media.

Sanders was right to condemn them.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 05:31:53 PM »

Anyways, Berniebros are a vocal minority. Try to prove me wrong if you want.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 05:42:03 PM »

Anyways, Berniebros are a vocal minority. Try to prove me wrong if you want.

No one is hung up on the "minority" part, it's the "vocal" part that's the problem.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies