What religious services have you been to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:44:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What religious services have you been to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: What religious services have you been to?  (Read 3090 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »

Catholic mass, and will never step foot in anything else.  That is a sin.

Isn't that what confession is for?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 02:22:39 PM »

I've been to a Reform Jewish Service, a few Conservative Jewish Services, and a ton of Orthodox/Hasidic Jewish Services.

I've been inside a few Evangelical Churches, but never went to services.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 02:28:03 PM »

What sh-te is this? So when Catholic bishops go to remembrance services or public services for victims of tradgedy in non Catholic churches and even participate in the service, they're sinning?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 04:54:20 PM »

I've been to many Christian services.

Catholic
Lutheran (ELCA and LCMS)
Independent Baptist
Methodist
First Assembly of God
Evangelical Covenant
Evangelical Free
Non-denominational but SPEAKIN IN TONGUES AND SLAAAAAAAAIN IN THE SPIRIT
Korean Catholic
Presbyterian

I've also been to Buddhist and Shinto temples but have not been to a "service".
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »

You mean just ordinary Roman Catholic but mass celebrated in Korean?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 06:11:58 PM »

You mean just ordinary Roman Catholic but mass celebrated in Korean?
The Catholic church is quite different all around the world.  The Catholic church in Korea, not unlike Latin America, has synced its calendar with the traditional Buddhist and Confucian calendars and incorporates Buddhist and Confucian rites and rituals into the church.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »

2004, I tried out Catholism, Jehovah Witness funeral and Buddhism during 1990's.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 11:30:32 AM »

What sh-te is this? So when Catholic bishops go to remembrance services or public services for victims of tradgedy in non Catholic churches and even participate in the service, they're sinning?

Catholics can't attend weddings and funerals (the latter of which typically involves a full blown religious service of some sort) of non-Catholics held in their place of worship?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »

The Catholic Church does not regard it as a sin to go to a non-Catholic church, only if you take communion there.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 12:36:33 PM »

My family has always respected Jehivah Witness beliefs, but the sense of no soul upon death and you are eternally dead, doesnt sit right with my family, so we are Christians. But they do everything else so well.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 05:03:03 PM »

Catholic, Evangelical/Pentecostal  and Buddhist
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »

The Catholic Church does not regard it as a sin to go to a non-Catholic church, only if you take communion there.

^BRTD is correct. Catholics can attend Protestant services (or basically any non-satanist service) but can't take communion (or get rebaptized or anything else like that).
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 05:34:32 PM »

In addition to Catholic services, of which I have been to both the ordinary and extraordinary (tridentine) form of the Latin Rite Mass as well as a Byzantine Catholic Mass, I've been to a Methodist wedding and a Lutheran funural.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 08:46:34 PM »

I was always told it was a sin.  Maybe there are exceptions made.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »

Adventist
Catholic mass (HS baccalaureate)
LCMS

That's all I can think of.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 05:53:30 PM »

Catholic, Southern Baptist, and Presbyterian
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 06:53:09 PM »

Do they even offer communion at non-Catholic churches?

Perhaps I should go visit one day, I hear people get up and play guitar and other weird things. And the Priest is just some random guy too, like he doesn't have to have a doctorate in theology or go to school.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 06:54:59 PM »

I really want to go to a Black/Pentecostal service.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 10:48:03 PM »

Yes, although it's not weekly in most. (Episcopalians and most Lutherans do.) Mine does it monthly.

Perhaps I should go visit one day, I hear people get up and play guitar and other weird things.

Playing guitar is weird?

And the Priest is just some random guy too, like he doesn't have to have a doctorate in theology or go to school.

My church doesn't have "priests", the only Protestants that do are Episcopalians/Anglicans. But the pastor isn't some random "guy" at mine, as there are women too. But yes can be a random guy or girl, more likely to be some attractive 25-year old girl in a hoodie and ripped jeans than anyone with a theology degree wearing some weird robe.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »

Yes, although it's not weekly in most. (Episcopalians and most Lutherans do.) Mine does it monthly.

Perhaps I should go visit one day, I hear people get up and play guitar and other weird things.

Playing guitar is weird?

And the Priest is just some random guy too, like he doesn't have to have a doctorate in theology or go to school.

My church doesn't have "priests", the only Protestants that do are Episcopalians/Anglicans. But the pastor isn't some random "guy" at mine, as there are women too. But yes can be a random guy or girl, more likely to be some attractive 25-year old girl in a hoodie and ripped jeans than anyone with a theology degree wearing some weird robe.

Do you feel that the informality of the service (relative to Catholicism) detracts from the sanctity of the mass?

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:30 PM »

Playing guitar is weird?

Do you feel that the informality of the service (relative to Catholicism) detracts from the sanctity of the mass?

It's not a mass, and no, not at all. People are far more into and closer to God in fact, since they do the whole hand raising and shaking and dancing in worship stuff. And since the sermon is in a style you can relate to (like I said think Upworthy videos) it's much more meaningful.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 11:48:01 PM »

Playing guitar is weird?

It's not a mass, and no, not at all. People are far more into and closer to God in fact, since they do the whole hand raising and shaking and dancing in worship stuff. And since the sermon is in a style you can relate to (like I said think Upworthy videos) it's much more meaningful.

I suppose i'll have to observe it one day.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 11:52:59 PM »

Playing guitar is weird?

I suppose i'll have to observe it one day.

FYI this is an emergent church, 99.99% of Protestant churches are not like this. If you go to a Lutheran or Episcopalian service it probably won't appear much different.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 12:58:01 AM »

Southern Baptist (My denomination), Methodist, and Catholic.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 05:38:48 PM »

Protestant, and one Jewish.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length