What type of vicious rhetoric is this?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:34:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What type of vicious rhetoric is this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What type of vicious rhetoric is this?  (Read 856 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:09:39 PM »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/02/08/madeleine_albright_at_clinton_rally_special_place_in_hell_for_women_who_dont_help_each_other.html

So if you're a woman, you have to support everything another woman says? What utter nonsense. I dont want to take the argument to unnecessary extremes, but this is perhaps the epitome of what is wrong with identity politics.

Dont vote for someone based on your brain and ability to analyze the facts ladies, vote for whoever has a vagina too!

Literally 'feminist logic'.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »

Madeleine Albright is really old.
Really old people get "a pass" for saying strange things.
I wouldn't take her comment too seriously.
Even Hillary was laughing after Albright said this.
Hillary was probably somewhat embarrassed by the whole incident.
indysaff
reapersaff
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »

Yeah, I don't really understand what's going on with the Hillary camp lately. Clinton want's to look to "sisterhood", but you can't really do that when your surrogates are talking some nonsense like this.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 01:24:36 PM »

Found in another thread here at Atlas. Doesn't exactly "fit," but somewhat "related."

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 01:27:23 PM »

Also, sending Bill Clinton to attack Sanders supporters on sexism may not be the best strategy.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »

Also, sending Bill Clinton to attack Sanders supporters on sexism may not be the best strategy.

What's even worse is that the Hillary campaign can't see that.

1) It's an utterly bone-headed move.
2) It's risking alienating some Sanders voters that she'll need in swing states.

I'm starting to see why people are quietly discussing the possibility of a Biden or Kerry late entry - the Clinton campaign may end up crashing like a drag boat before too long.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 01:42:45 PM »

People are taking that comment far too seriously. As for sexism, these so-called Bernie-bros are like the PUMAs in 2008 and are going to be voting for someone else in the general election if Clinton gets the nominations. Calling out crazy supporters who use extreme rhetoric is not a bone-headed move, it's strategy. These people have gone out of their way to bombard those who have endorsed Clinton with a barrage of nasty, hateful and harassing comments for not endorsing Sanders. Sanders is going to lose, which is why his backers are so crazy.

After South Carolina, it's really going to get nasty and a segment of Sanders supporters are really going to show who they really are.
indysaff
reapersaff
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »

People are taking that comment far too seriously.

I mean, it is pretty serious. You have a surrogate for the Clinton campaign making really condescending comments about females voters. It all comes down to the fact that the Clinton's aren't really getting their way, so they start lashing out with ridiculous comments and acting like victims.

"Bernie-bros" is pretty serious too, but at least Bernie has come out and distanced himself from that kind of immature nonsense.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 02:14:06 PM »

I wonder how much of this divide is between older women who think this might be their only chance to see a woman president vs. younger women who think they'll have plenty more opportunities.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »

I wonder how much of this divide is between older women who think this might be their only chance to see a woman president vs. younger women who think they'll have plenty more opportunities.
^^^ This.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »

This too - Imagine!!

Bernie says against his followers if they do something wrong. Hillary after seeming to enjoy the comment & said "Young women have forgotten the struggles" and what not & went around for 2 minute & tried to justify the comment in an interview. Go youtube - It is available. That was repulsive
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2016, 02:58:40 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

With respect, I think there is something to the idea that younger people today have bought into the narrative that we're somehow living in a post-sexist, post-racial world. It's in the interests of pretty much every corporation in America to sell the picture of a pluralistic society so they can push their products into as many homes as possible. It's why you see these Coke commercials with as many different people as they can fit into the spot, and it's why you've seen companies move almost en masse towards supporting and recognizing the legitimacy of gay people.

The problem is, this sort of "feel-good pluralism" addresses some of the problems we see with respect to race, gender, and discrimination, but it also helps perpetuate the structures of discrimination that persist because it says, basically, that racism and sexism are over. We now have this population of people that's not willing to think critically about discrimination. It's almost like Franz Fanon's "internal colonization": The status quo seems fine and natural for a lot of women. I'm not saying their experiences are wrong or telling them how they should vote, but I don't think America has ever really had the conversations about gender that it should... and if it were to have these conversations, you'd see more people at least understanding why it actually is very significant to have a woman president.

In some ways, the baby boomers have had more conversations about race and feminism than the millennials. Rudimentary conversations to be sure, but there were fewer attempts to frame these issues as closed like there are today.

Anyway, that's my schpeel.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2016, 03:07:43 PM by Shadows »

http://i.imgur.com/I4i16mK.png

Look at the result, CNN in NH -

18-34 Women

Sanders - 87%
Clinton - 9%
Others/Undecided - 4%

Unreal - Clinton is getting destroyed among the younger woman who has seen her Youtube videos & has caught her bluff. She is exposed & acc to polls they have the highest % of mind made up.

Sanders forum is full of young women who are posting Bernie shirts & going against this sexist stuff. So many posts I support Bernie because he is a feminist & so am I.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies