How would Elizabeth Warren be doing if she was running instead of Sanders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:04:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How would Elizabeth Warren be doing if she was running instead of Sanders?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How would Elizabeth Warren be doing if she was running instead of Sanders?
Better than Sanders is now

About the same as Sanders is now

Worse than Sanders is now

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: How would Elizabeth Warren be doing if she was running instead of Sanders?  (Read 2834 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »

Warren was always considered the more credible and qualified progressive candidate. Would this translate into her doing better than Sanders is now? Or was there something specific about Sanders personally that wouldn't have accrued to Warren?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 06:36:35 PM »

She would neutralize the "I'm a woman and Bernie isn't!" attack, so probably better.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 06:37:14 PM »

As I've said before, she would attract progressives that don't like Hillary without turning off establishment Dems as much as Sanders has. So, much better.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:37:23 PM »

Warren would have won Iowa and New Hampshire in a rout. Hillary would likely still be favored in SC/the deep south, but not by as much as she is now. Odds are, Warren's ability to neutralize the gender factor would allow her to force Hillary out of the race by Early April, securing the nomination.
Nichlemn

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 06:41:25 PM »

She would neutralize the "I'm a woman and Bernie isn't!" attack, so probably better.

What about the reverse, the "BernieBro" types might not be too much of a fan of a female President? I wonder if Warren would be as popular as Sanders is on Reddit, for instance.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:43:51 PM »

What about the reverse, the "BernieBro" types might not be too much of a fan of a female President? I wonder if Warren would be as popular as Sanders is on Reddit, for instance.

A lot of the staff of the various Warren draft campaigns now have roles on either the Sanders campaign itself or r/sandersforpresident.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:44:40 PM »

She would definitely be doing better than Sanders. I'm guessing she would have narrowly won Iowa (maybe 51% Warren, 48% Clinton) and would win NH by 1-2% more than Sanders's margin. She's a bit less radical than Sanders and is a woman, which would attract some voters. Nationally, she would probably be 3-5% higher than Clinton. Quinnipiac would have shown her leading in their last national poll.

I would enthusiastically support her as much as I have supported Sanders.

Sanders would probably endorse her. I figure she could pull another senator or two and half a dozen more reps at least.
Nichlemn

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »

A lot of the staff of the various Warren draft campaigns now have roles on either the Sanders campaign itself or r/sandersforpresident.

I don't doubt there's a substantial overlap, but it might not have gotten to quite the same number of subscribers.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »

I don't doubt there's a substantial overlap, but it might not have gotten to quite the same number of subscribers.

It's definitely a possibility, but as I've said before, I believe that the sexist 'Berniebros' are more of a vocal minority than anything.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 07:18:15 PM »

Many of the 'we need a woman President' voters in Hillary's camp would be with Warren right now. I think Hillary's gender is the only thing keeping her campaign together.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 07:33:34 PM »

Elizabeth Warren does not have Bernie Sanders's political ability. She would not be doing as well as he is.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »

She'd have the exact same problem with minorities that Bernie has.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 08:04:17 PM »

She is an unlikeable fraud and would do worse than Sanders. She'd also get crushed in the general.

Warren would have won Iowa in a rout.

lolno

Warren, an unlikeable fraud? Seriously?
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »

She is an unlikeable fraud and would do worse than Sanders. She'd also get crushed in the general.

Warren would have won Iowa in a rout.

lolno

Warren, an unlikeable fraud? Seriously?

Almost everybody outside the Democratic party hates Elizabeth Warren. I'm not sure about the 'fraud' part, though.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »

Probably worse
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 08:13:24 PM »

Bernie is surprisingly charismatic and inspiring, especially to independents, in a way that Warren simply is not.  His ability to deliver and stick to a simple, effective message is remarkable and exceeds Warren's abilities in that area, though its not like she's a political slouch.

She would have the same problem with minorities and would be comparable with Sanders for the very liberal voters.  Gender has been mentioned, but I honestly don't think that's a huge problem overall for Bernie, the only group he struggles with is older women.

Warren might have an edge with older Dems/those who ID as Dem over Ind but she probably wouldn't inspire the youth turnout in the same way that Sanders does.

Her main advantage would be that she'd be modestly more palatable to the Democratic establishment.

FYI I would probably vote for Warren over Sanders, personally.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 08:27:32 PM »

She'd have the exact same problem with minorities that Bernie has.
Exactly, this is what makes the difference.
DS0816
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 08:40:05 PM »

I don't know the answer.

I've seen some comments, made from other sites, about Hillary Clinton supporters who are behind her to a point that, because the primary season is just beginning, are doing their best to malign supporters of Bernie Sanders because they want the nomination to be won by Hillary.

These are people who, politically, agree more with Bernie.

I remember how Democrats, some who described themselves as liberals, raged about the war in Iraq. Hillary Clinton voted to go to war in Iraq. Bernie Sanders did not. Hillary Clinton voted for the Patriot Act. Bernie Sanders did not.

Asking why a Hillary supporter chooses her and not Bernie, I get a response that sounds like it was crafted from the Democratic Party. For a short answer, I get a response from someone who uses the word, realist. (Which, in reality, is saying pessimist.)

If Elizabeth Warren was in the position that Bernie Sanders is now in, I think these same people would come up with other bullsh**t which combines some of their excuses (Hillary over Bernie) and their alternative ones (had it been Hillary over Eliizabeth).

I don't have anything good to say about these people.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »

Hillary is barely beating Bernie Sanders. If she was running against someone who could actually talk like a normal person and wasn't feared by the establishment, the race would basically be over. Warren would have won Iowa and would be leading by 20 points nationally.
DS0816
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 09:00:12 PM »

Hillary is barely beating Bernie Sanders. If she was running against someone who could actually talk like a normal person and wasn't feared by the establishment, the race would basically be over. Warren would have won Iowa and would be leading by 20 points nationally.

The Democratic Party has conspired to deliver nomination to Hillary Clinton ASAP.

Think of Debbie Wasserman Schultz arranging those debates. She did everything to conceal them except get them aired on a cable network not carried by some operators. (Take a pick with that one.)

The ridiculous percentages of Senate Democrats and House members, governors, former office holders … come on!

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:29 PM »

Bernie Sanders is a better politician than Elizabeth Warren, in basically every way. I really don't think she would have become the sort of inspirational cult icon that Sanders has become. She's much more of a traditional candidate, and much less of a contrast with Clinton. She also has even less experience than Sanders when it comes to foreign policy.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 09:04:14 PM »

I, at least, would happily be supporting Warren if she were running in place of Sanders, despite people thinking most of the opposition to Hillary on the left is somehow because she's a woman.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2016, 09:09:49 PM by Averroës »

I'm inclined to think that she would be winning.

But, and this is important, that's contingent on her running a competent campaign, or even somewhat better than competent. Sanders has done this - a few notable mid-steps aside, his organization had been solid. And it's not really something that can be hand-waved. Sanders' unique personal history and personality have a lot to do with him becoming a sensation, but it's keeping his organization together that explains why he's winning states.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 09:04:38 PM »

The BernieBros would have gone all out for O'Malley I guess.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 09:17:34 PM »

I'm not sure if she'd be doing any better in the polls right now, but she'd have a better chance than Sanders does of ultimately winning the nomination, largely because elites would view her as more of a credible nominee than they view Sanders.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies