new vehicle for the deadone
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:14:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  new vehicle for the deadone
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: new vehicle for the deadone  (Read 1122 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:37:53 PM »

I don't know if I mentioned or not, but my Mazda 3 died last fall.  I finally sold her today and will soon be leaving to get my new ride.  My first manual in 14 years (it came back to me like riding a bike), my first rwd in 16 years, my first convertible ever.  A beater 97 Miata.  Spray painted trunk, non-painted hood.  Plenty of dents and rust, a goofy farmer ghetto exhaust tip, ripped up seats.  Just oozing awesomeness.

craig's list for the car if you want to make fun

I'll post some pics with me and the car tomorrow...maybe.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 02:32:00 AM »

Tragically the post has been deleted. I can't even guess what such a beast would cost.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:08:07 AM »

$1800!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 07:09:22 AM »

It's WAY too low.  I've never adjusted the ride height on a car (because I've never had a car with the option), but apparently it's pretty easy....if the dude left the tool in the car.  I'll find out in the morning.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:23:45 AM »

The Beast! (that is it's name)
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »

Awesome miata!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 11:55:22 AM »

It is!  So rough.  So funking rough. 

I just got back from inspection and registration.  They told me I had to put a front plate on, I'm not gonna.  At least not until I get pulled over for it.  The plate is sitting in the windshield, easily visible.  So many cars, including the Miata, look like crap with a front plate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:56:01 PM »

It is!  So rough.  So funking rough. 

I just got back from inspection and registration.  They told me I had to put a front plate on, I'm not gonna.  At least not until I get pulled over for it.  The plate is sitting in the windshield, easily visible.  So many cars, including the Miata, look like crap with a front plate.

Do you really think it's looks cooler/better/etc..to have the plate on the dashboard vs the plate holder in front?  Sounds more trailer trashy to me.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 04:22:02 PM »

Do you really think it's looks cooler/better/etc..to have the plate on the dashboard vs the plate holder in front?
Yes

I suppose it does kind of put a nose on the goofy grinned Miata, but it's still cleaner looking without it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 07:20:16 PM »

More like an early-20th Century toothbrush mustache. You could call your car Hooptie Adolf. 

I'm with you, man.  Leave off the front plate.  Fight the power!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »

A black plate would totally make it look like Hitler with a "did I do that?" grin.  Thank Og Nebraska's plates are just ugly and not black.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:55 PM »

A new car for the deadone? Your dick needs a vehicle?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:47:50 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2016, 06:43:21 AM by dead0man »

The memos you're getting on my penis are inaccurate, you might want to find a better source.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 02:28:18 AM »

Tragically the post has been deleted. I can't even guess what such a beast would cost.

Did I help to name him/her? Gasp!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 06:43:06 AM »

You know, I don't know.  Certainly not consciously......and no, sorry.  After doing a little research, I see that I Facebooked Feb 8th at 8:29pm that "Will be leaving to get my new beast soon, expect pictures tomorrow."  I hadn't decided that was her name yet, so maybe your post gave me some subconscious positive feedback.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »

The memos you're getting on my penis are inaccurate, you might want to find a better source.
It'll be hard finding a better source than your wife, but I'll try.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 06:13:28 PM »

classy bro, my mom's old and fat, you got anything for that?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »

classy bro, my mom's old and fat, you got anything for that?
Oh come on, you know it's all in good spirit Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 07:10:28 PM »

You manage to get it to turn over yet?  Brrr.  Brrrrr.  Brrrrrrr-ka-burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Walmart sells car batteries cheap, and installs them for free.  If you're not one of the rabid anti-Walmart posters who congregate here, you should consider them.

Okay, no one has asked yet, so I'm going to have to embarrass myself.  I'm a little unclear on what you meant by the "ride height."  Are you talking about the Low Rider option, like making it hop like a Cheech and Chong hydraulic lift?   In the sense that the suspension of the chassis can be adjusted from inside.  Like this?

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 07:25:24 PM »

No, that's hydraulics, and much more complicated.  Mine are just aftermarket replacement coilovers (I don't know why spell check thinks that is spelled wrong) that have a ride height adjustment capability.
youtubes explanation
the part where he actually adjusts it

link to picture of why I'm having issues adjusting it right now

All those shiny, clean, easily turned things in the video are covered in a salty sludge on my car AND I don't have the proper tool for the job.  The internet tells me I can tap them around with a hammer and flathead, and I was able to budge 'em a bit, but it would have taken forever to move them the 2 or 3 inches I need to move them.  I think it might be easier to take them out, but I'd really rather not.  I've got a buddy with the tool that I should be getting in the next couple of days and hopefully that will work out.

I got groceries with it yesterday with the top down because it was a nice warm 35.  Wasn't chilly at all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 07:30:32 PM »

oh and the battery is tiny and in the trunk.  Got's to keep that perfect 50/50 weight distribution like a proper sports car should have (but very few do).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 09:17:22 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2016, 09:20:05 PM by angus »

Got it.  A picture is worth a thousand words and I appreciate your use of it.

I got groceries with it yesterday with the top down because it was a nice warm 35.  Wasn't chilly at all.

Damn straight that's warm.  We're having a cold spell just now.  It's about 15 and windy.  It bites.

I had a tiny battery in the back for a few years, too.  It was a Fiat Spider ragtop, 1981.  I bought it in '85.  It was a fun car, but expensive to get fixed, easy to break, and had a number of engineering faults.  I would never, ever buy a Fiat again under any circumstances.  On the other hand, I've had two Mazdas, one new, one used, and I'd definitely consider another Mazda.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 07:26:25 AM »

The Miata is the spiritual successor to that Spider (and the MGB, Lotus Elan and a bunch of other European....mainly british, roadsters), only it's got Japanese reliability and when it does break, it's generally cheap to fix.  It is the best selling convertible sports car of all time, so there are plenty of parts out there.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 10:10:15 AM »

For those keeping score at home, finally get her raised a bit.  Leaking a little clutch fluid from somewhere, so I was bleeding it, and while I had the front tire off I dicked with the coilovers there.  It was pretty easy, just had a lot more room than in the back.  But now I knew I had the right method and how much muscle it took to turn them (quite a lot, especially while they were still rubbing on the half shafts on the back ones).  My knuckles are a little bloody and my back and shoulders hurt a little more than they usually do, but I raised the back up about 1.5" and the front maybe a 1/3".  Think I want to add another half inch or so in the front and a full inch in the back (that's what she said).  But even as is she's riding much better and scraping on nothing.  I can even go over the giant speed hills (bumps isn't a good enough word for these monsters) in my neighborhood in 2nd gear instead of almost coming to a complete stop.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies