If it's Trump vs. Cruz...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:39:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If it's Trump vs. Cruz...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If it's Trump vs. Cruz...  (Read 677 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »

...what does the establishment do? Do they rally behind one of the candidates? Stay out of it? Something else? Discuss.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 06:25:22 PM »

They'd support TRUMP
ProgCon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 06:27:23 PM »

Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 06:33:47 PM »

They'd probably support Trump to keep the real conservative out.

But I'd of course support Ted and vote third-party in the general.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »

Trump.

Not because I'm a Trump troll, most of you know I'm not, but because Trump is more moderate and less "principled" than Cruz. He's MUCH more likely to "cut the deal" with the establishment, while Cruz is more likely to stick to his conservative positions without budging.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 06:37:06 PM »

The party would support Trump and the voters would probably support Cruz especially Rubio's voters
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:56:47 PM »

I think that the Establishment would support Cruz because he is, after all, a sitting Republican Senator.  That makes him something of the Establishment.  I do think, however, that I may be underestimating the hatred the Establishment has for Cruz, and they may feel a need to take the kind of action that will dispel the spawning of future Cruzes.

Going with Cruz will allow the GOP to nominate "the REAL conservative".  Then, when he loses, they can say that they did it the way of the movement conservatives and we ended up with Goldwater Debacle Lite.  The Establishment can manage a Cruz loss to where it doesn't decimate the national party, and there's always 2018 midterms, which the GOP mops up on.

Trump, on the other hand, represents a hostile takeover of the Establishment.  They could never accept his "deal", period.  It's not happening. 
defe07

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »

I'm saying they go with Trump but make sure they get a good deal. In other words, either picking the running mate or the most important Cabinet posts.
yankeesfan
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »

If it's Cruz versus Trump, Cruz can begin moving to the middle before the general election, positioning himself pretty well.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 05:16:43 AM »

Angel of Death
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 06:10:30 AM »

If it's Trump vs. Cruz, then that means there is no longer an establishment.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:54 AM »

TRUMP. Because Cruz has a ceiling of support that gets you to 160-190 EV.  Trump if he can display a little more discipline can actually beat Hillary IMO.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 03:08:32 PM »

Trump.

Not because I'm a Trump troll, most of you know I'm not, but because Trump is more moderate and less "principled" than Cruz. He's MUCH more likely to "cut the deal" with the establishment, while Cruz is more likely to stick to his conservative positions without budging.

Agreed. Listen to what Jimmy Carter and Bob Dole have said recently. And because Trump is seen as more malleable (and more moderate in terms of social issues), he'd do much better in a general election than would someone like Ted Cruz.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »

I think that the Establishment would support Cruz because he is, after all, a sitting Republican Senator.  That makes him something of the Establishment.  I do think, however, that I may be underestimating the hatred the Establishment has for Cruz, and they may feel a need to take the kind of action that will dispel the spawning of future Cruzes.

Going with Cruz will allow the GOP to nominate "the REAL conservative".  Then, when he loses, they can say that they did it the way of the movement conservatives and we ended up with Goldwater Debacle Lite.  The Establishment can manage a Cruz loss to where it doesn't decimate the national party, and there's always 2018 midterms, which the GOP mops up on.

Trump, on the other hand, represents a hostile takeover of the Establishment.  They could never accept his "deal", period.  It's not happening. 

Not to brag or anything, but did I nail it or what?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies