Superdelegates are an affront to democracy and should not exist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:50:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Superdelegates are an affront to democracy and should not exist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Agree or disagree?
Agree

Disagree

Other/Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Superdelegates are an affront to democracy and should not exist  (Read 2885 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »

The American people have freedom of association, and the Democratic Party has a right to organize itself as it sees fit.  It's perfectly reasonable to have some sort of safeguard to prevent just this eventuality: an entryist candidate coming in and hijacking the party.  Obama was a Democrat, Sanders is not (or was not until a few months ago).  If you think the superdelegates aren't going to fight Sanders for the nomination even if he wins a majority of the pledged delegates, you are dead wrong.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »

I bet the republicans are praying they had some to stop Trump

The American people have freedom of association, and the Democratic Party has a right to organize itself as it sees fit.  It's perfectly reasonable to have some sort of safeguard to prevent just this eventuality: an entryist candidate coming in and hijacking the party.  Obama was a Democrat, Sanders is not (or was not until a few months ago).  If you think the superdelegates aren't going to fight Sanders for the nomination even if he wins a majority of the pledged delegates, you are dead wrong.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 12:37:27 PM »

Even if the United States was not born as a democracy, the Democratic Party was born as a radical democratic project and the current superdelegate system is a mockery of the ideals of Jefferson and Jackson (the ideals related to democracy not ... the other stuff). A single IRV election simultaneously held amongst all states and territories. Maybe elect delegates separately via STV or approval voting.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »

Just because something is undemocratic doesn't make it bad.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »

Just because something is undemocratic doesn't make it bad.

I can guarantee you, if either the Republican or Democratic parties go against their voters' wills under what are essentially loopholes and internal by-laws, it would be bad for both them and America.

I know it's "cool" and "trendy" to hate on democracy because it allows smelly poor people to have an influence, but it is the most vital tool we have to shift power and resources away from the elite. You'd think the Democratic Party would understand that, but no they seem more interested in sucking up to latter day Federalists and Whigs to give a sh**t.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »

First off I do not understand why people call us a democracy while we are actually a constitutional republic.
"I don't understand why people call carrots a food while they are actually a vegetable."
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »

They're a scam.

I don't like the whole delegates thing. There should be popular vote primary on varios dates in various states.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »

First off I do not understand why people call us a democracy while we are actually a constitutional republic.
"I don't understand why people call carrots a food while they are actually a vegetable."

^^^This. The notion that a republic isn't a form of democracy is one of the most annoying myths in American political discussion.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 04:23:37 PM »

Only Berniebots are fearing super delegates now
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies