Why are African American voters relatively monolithic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:04:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are African American voters relatively monolithic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why are African American voters relatively monolithic  (Read 5299 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 01:08:54 PM »
« edited: February 28, 2016, 01:15:09 PM by Virginia »

Oldiesfreak demonstrates why Republicans will never win more than 20% of the black vote.
whitey has to pay

Actually hes right.. sort of.    Blacks for the most part have been hoodwicked look no further than places like Baltimore.  There are problems within the black communites that if libreal Democrats brought attention to it would help a lot.   They never do, but instead rely on created bogeymen for example "criminal Justice reform"   Its basically lets take police out of your communites. Of course this plays well with blacks because real or perceived the police are out to kill black men with the aid of the MSM who twists the actual facts.  Blacks simply don't realize that the same liberal politicians push pollices that do nothing but hurt black advancement(illegal immigration).

Black advancement into what? Construction and landscaping? (I won't say agriculture, seeing as we're talking about Baltimore here. Though, not that there is any evidence at all that black people would love to fill in those agriculture jobs any more than a white guy would). You're trivializing a complex matter. Illegal immigration is Trump's scapegoat but it isn't quite the boogeyman he is making out to be. Building that wall and deporting those people won't lift blacks nationwide from poverty.

Crime in the city is a systemic problem that goes beyond what each party has to offer. You think Republicans would be better in administering these population centers with their unsympathetic tough-on-crime bs? Locking up a huge amount of the country's black men and labeling them criminals is the problem, not the solution!. The war on drugs has helped cripple inner cities even further, and Republicans remain the most staunch defenders of this. Democrats have had no real sustaining ability to change these drug laws locally, because it has to start at the federal level, where Republicans have been in firm control of either legislating or obstructing since the mid 90s. And please don't mention things like marijuana, or states' rights stuff, because any city that tried to legalize or even decriminalize hard drugs would experience hell from the federal government on a biblical scale.

Another radical thought is that the current Republican party agenda doesn't fit well with the interests of African Americans. Policies on education, healthcare and social programs runs counter to the desires of non-white voters in general. The GOP has made basically zero effort to try and formulate policies that appeal to these voters, and yet still some want to instead call blacks "brainwashed" or "hoodwinked". The classic argument of "I don't need to work to appeal to them, they are stupid if they don't like our agenda and eventually they will come around when they wise up!"

Of course this plays well with blacks because real or perceived the police are out to kill black men with the aid of the MSM who twists the actual facts.

Funny, these black communities seem to have a different opinion on this matter, seeing as they actually live through these issues and aren't just spectating from a far - Or maybe you live right in a bad neighborhood, I dunno, but you're still trying to say that they just don't understand, and that the police who frequently imprison and murder them are just helping them...

This whole 'they don't know what's good for them' argument needs to die already. The vast majority of police aren't racist or even terrible people, but for numerous reasons they unfairly target black people far, far more often than whites and they destroy their communities as a result. They use overwhelmingly force as if it's the only f**king option, ever. This has been going on for far too long and has essentially destroyed the African American family unit. No one is saying take a chainsaw to police departments, but let's not be ignorant and deny that they have gone off the rails for decades now. There should be nothing wrong with admitting that our police and criminal laws aren't nearly as fair, unbiased and helpful as we need them to be.

How about we listen to the concerns of the African American community and implement some of their ideas, instead of just brushing them off and calling them hoodwinked? After all, they constitute a large part of this country and they deserve to be heard.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »

Oldiesfreak demonstrates why Republicans will never win more than 20% of the black vote.
whitey has to pay

Actually hes right.. sort of.    Blacks for the most part have been hoodwicked look no further than places like Baltimore.  There are problems within the black communites that if libreal Democrats brought attention to it would help a lot.   They never do, but instead rely on created bogeymen for example "criminal Justice reform"   Its basically lets take police out of your communites. Of course this plays well with blacks because real or perceived the police are out to kill black men with the aid of the MSM who twists the actual facts.  Blacks simply don't realize that the same liberal politicians push pollices that do nothing but hurt black advancement(illegal immigration).

Black advancement into what? Construction and landscaping? (I won't say agriculture, seeing as we're talking about Baltimore here. Though, not that there is any evidence at all that black people would love to fill in those agriculture jobs any more than a white guy would). You're trivializing a complex matter. Illegal immigration is Trump's scapegoat but it isn't quite the boogeyman he is making out to be. Building that wall and deporting those people won't lift blacks nationwide from poverty.

Crime in the city is a systemic problem that goes beyond what each party has to offer. You think Republicans would be better in administering these population centers with their unsympathetic tough-on-crime bs? Locking up a huge amount of the country's black men and labeling them criminals is the problem, not the solution!. The war on drugs has helped cripple inner cities even further, and Republicans remain the most staunch defenders of this. Democrats have had no real sustaining ability to change these drug laws locally, because it has to start at the federal level, where Republicans have been in firm control of either legislating or obstructing since the mid 90s. And please don't mention things like marijuana, or states' rights stuff, because any city that tried to legalize or even decriminalize hard drugs would experience hell from the federal government on a biblical scale.

Another radical thought is that the current Republican party agenda doesn't fit well with the interests of African Americans. Policies on education, healthcare and social programs runs counter to the desires of non-white voters in general. The GOP has made basically zero effort to try and formulate policies that appeal to these voters, and yet still some want to instead call blacks "brainwashed" or "hoodwinked". The classic argument of "I don't need to work to appeal to them, they are stupid if they don't like our agenda and eventually they will come around when they wise up!"[/i]

Of course this plays well with blacks because real or perceived the police are out to kill black men with the aid of the MSM who twists the actual facts.

Funny, these black communities seem to have a different opinion on this matter, seeing as they actually live through these issues and aren't just spectating from a far - Or maybe you live right in a bad neighborhood, I dunno, but you're still trying to say that they just don't understand, and that the police who frequently imprison and murder them are just helping them...

This whole 'they don't know what's good for them' argument needs to die already. The vast majority of police aren't racist or even terrible people, but for numerous reasons they unfairly target black people far, far more often than whites and they destroy their communities as a result. They use overwhelmingly force as if it's the only f**king option, ever. This has been going on for far too long and has essentially destroyed the African American family unit. No one is saying take a chainsaw to police departments, but let's not be ignorant and deny that they have gone off the rails for decades now. There should be nothing wrong with admitting that our police and criminal laws aren't nearly as fair, unbiased and helpful as we need them to be.

How about we listen to the concerns of the African American community and implement some of their ideas, instead of just brushing them off and calling them hoodwinked? After all, they constitute a large part of this country and they deserve to be heard.

Exactly.

Seriously what policies incentives have the GOP pushed in the last twenty years that would give Blacks(and other minority groups for that matter) any reason to vote for them? Some Republicans need to stop treating blacks as if they are gullible children, as a voting bloc they are no different then rich old guys who vote Republican, AKA they vote for who will help their own self-interest.

Until the GOP drops this entitlement attitude when it comes to votes, then they will never make in-roads with not only Blacks, but any other non-white group in America.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »

Because they've been brainwashed by Democrats into believing that they were the good guys in the civil rights movement and that the GOP is racist.  Democrats have taken a century-plus of their racist history supporting slavery, the Confederacy, the KKK, and Jim Crow, and pinned it on Republicans, the party that abolished slavery and fought to end racial discrimination against blacks.

idk, because if racism is an issue in this, then blacks may be wary/not trusting the states/regions and people/descendants of racist people, who are all more or less now represented by Republicans. Republicans are the party of the South now, and some even going back as far as Eisenhower, all those racist Democrats started voting either Republican or 3rd party for president since Dwight or Goldwater, with just one break for Carter and a few misc. states breaking for Clinton due to his regional origins.

And you're acting like the entire Democratic party was one big racist, segregationist jamboree. It wasn't like that. Whether anyone likes it or not, Republicans now represent the old confederacy and consist of people who were either raised by, or are, old racist assholes. I'm not even saying most current Republicans are racist - Definitely not. But, especially when you consider states like Alabama - you can't honestly believe all those old Alabama folks were, what, airlifted out of there and replaced by non-racists?, or something.

Finally, let's not forget dear old Ronald Reagan's (Republican) campaign announcement speech in Mississippi, where he talked about the virtues of state's rights (cough cough segregation cough), only miles away from where civil rights workers were killed in 1964.

That bullsh**t is what the Republican party accepted and encouraged in order to claw back power in the federal government/state legislatures Squinting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan's_Neshoba_County_Fair_%22states'_rights%22_speech
Oh boy...where to begin?

Ike campaigned as a strong supporter of civil rights, and his record as president shows that, from the appointment of Earl Warren as Chief Justice, the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1960, and his sending of federal marshals to Little Rock Central.  Stevenson was the one who had a segregationist running mate in 1952 (John Sparkman).  Democrats may not have been uniformly racist or segregationist by the 50s and 60s, but Democrat presidents throughout the 20th century dragged their feet on civil rights in an attempt to appease the Southern segregationist wing.  When Truman and Johnson tried to move forward, the segregationists revolted and formed a third party (the Dixiecrats in 1948 and the American Independent party in 1968).   

Most of the segregationists in the Democratic party NEVER joined the GOP.  They either died, renounced racism (e.g. George Wallace), and/or retired from politics.  Robert Byrd, the former Klansman who filibustered against the Civil Rights Act in 1964, was still a Democrat when he died in 2010.  Fritz Hollings, the former South Carolina governor who first flew the Confederate flag over the state Capitol, opposed the integration of lunch counters, and voted against confirming Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, was still a Democrat in 2004.  Yes, you are right that the segregationists did split ticket to vote for Goldwater in 1964, but after that, most of them went straight back to the Democrats.  The few Dixiecrats who did join the GOP did so for political expediency--they were seeking to challenge incumbent Democrats or wanted to throw their support behind Goldwater.  At the state and local level, Dems continued to dominate much of the South until the 80s and 90s.  (Case in point: Mississippi Democrats did not lose control of the state legislature until 2011, and Georgia's first post-Reconstruction GOP governor was not elected until 2002.)

And as for the Reagan "states' rights" issue, this was long after the big battles of the civil rights movement had ended (CRA, VRA, etc.)  States' rights was not always used as a code for segregation, and even when it was, it was abused and distorted by the Dixiecrats.  You can give states all the rights you want now, and Jim Crow is never coming back (good riddance).  In his personal life, Reagan proved himself to be anything but a racist.  When he played football at Eureka College, he refused to stay in a segregated hotel with the team and took one of his black teammates to stay with his parents.  This story was confirmed by a left-wing reported and even published by the NYT.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 02:11:18 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2016, 02:34:04 PM by Virginia »

I mean, I'm aware of party control at the state level in the South. I went out of my way to empathize for president. After all, when a party is slowly replaced in states, sometimes the first things to go tend to be the party's presidential prospects, which can flip long before the state government flips. I did also go out of my way to empathize that 1) most contemporary republican politicians aren't racists, and 2) Republicans now represent the people, and their descendants that make up the region responsible for slavery/confederacy/Jim Crow. This is 100% undeniable. I also wasn't specifically talking about segregationists, but racists in general. In numerous presidential elections post-1960, registered Democrats did vote, sometimes overwhelmingly, Republican or 3rd party (Wallace/Goldwater).

I actually tried here to avoid any sort of debate about "parties switching" or what not. I'm not sure you got what I was trying to say. Maybe you thought I was dredging up the party-switch idea, but I was not, at least in any sense larger than that the governing party of the region is no longer the Democratic party.

Also, regarding Reagan - I didn't even say he was racist, but he had no problem playing to racism to win. This is, regardless of how you want to try and frame this, a good example of the direction the Republican party went in their search for power. "States rights" has been a dog whistle for basically anything conservatives want to do that most of the country disapproves of. Gay marriage ruled constitutional? States rights! Abortion? States rights! Religious freedom? states rights! It doesn't have to be entirely race related at this point, but it has evolved to try and support any things they want that they can't really get, including discrimination (eg, 'religious freedom'). It's a common tactic in other situations - Delegitimize the power of the actual authorities to try and justify support for potentially unsavory ideas (coincidentally this has been the GOP strategy against all things Obama for basically 6 - 8 years)

But the gist of my argument here is that your castigation of the Democratic party while seemingly revering the Republican party, in terms of racism/the South, is equally unfair. You seem to be operating on party labels and not the actual people (or descendants of those people) who were/are responsible for those things.

(I feel obliged to say I'm not really trying to attack you or anything but such a lashing out against my party, I felt, deserved a heated response)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »

Because they've been brainwashed by Democrats into believing that they were the good guys in the civil rights movement and that the GOP is racist.  Democrats have taken a century-plus of their racist history supporting slavery, the Confederacy, the KKK, and Jim Crow, and pinned it on Republicans, the party that abolished slavery and fought to end racial discrimination against blacks.  And whenever someone dares to bring up these facts, they will resort to lies and excuses like, "Oh, well the Dixiecrats all joined the GOP after Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act,"(hello, Robert Byrd!?) or "Nixon and Reagan used racist dog whistles to win the Southern vote," or my favorite, "but Republicans were the liberals back then."  I dare you to ask the average American, black or white, which party formed the KKK, passed Jim Crow laws, and supported slavery and the Confederacy during the Civil War.  I bet at least 90% of them would say “Republicans.”  Likewise, if you asked them which party was formed to end slavery, a similar percentage would say, “Democrats.”  That’s how brilliant the left-wing Freaky Friday deception has been on race and civil rights.

Plus, Democrats are the party of entitlements, and they win the black vote by scaring them with smears about how Republicans are the party of evil, greedy rich people who want to privatize Social Security and leave poor blacks starving in alleys.  It’s not that blacks are stupid; it’s that Democrats have done such a masterful job at keeping them in their fold with these scare tactics.  The ads that the Missouri Democrats ran in 1998 warning that electing Republicans would lead to cross burnings and church bombings are a classic example of this.  Democrats thrive on this sort of racial identity politics, and have from the very beginning of their party.  The only difference is which race they're using.  For most of their history, they were a white identity party; now they use non-white identity instead, teaching minorities to blame all their problems on "racist white people."

At the moment it's the Republicans passing repressive voting rights bills, it's republican appointed judges who are dismantling the voting rights act it's republicans but yeah the democrat party is the 'blame the white guy party'-if that makes you sleep better at night keep believing it, and we'll be more than happy when Hillary goes to the White House in November
hopper
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 07:46:10 PM »

The Republicans gave up on this vote 40 years ago as they realized they didn't need it to win elections.  Its prudent to do when you think about it.   If you are a White male conservative candidate is it worth losing white votes to gain a small percentage of black votes?   When this happened Republicans no longer cared about policies that helped blacks. Some of them actually ran against the very ideal.   Like that code word "welfare reform" used in the 1990s and early 00's

Now today with the older white electrote getting older and fading  and the upcoming generation more aphatipic to libreal views the GOP needs every vote they can get or should i say steal from the dems.   They wanted to pander for the Latino votes , but still the same issue .. you will lose more of your white vote to gain a few minority votes. Mr Trump has surly figured this out.   One thing about the Black voting block is that they will reward you if you show/prove prosperity real or perceived econonmially.   
No "Welfare Reform" was signed into law by Bill Clinton(a Democrat) in 1996.

True "The Black Voting Block" will reward you look at John Kasich in Ohio he won 23%-27% of the Black Vote in Ohio in 2014. Mitch Daniels as well in Indiana he won 23% of the Black Vote in 2008 with Obama at the top of the ticket.
hopper
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 09:39:29 PM »

I mean, I'm aware of party control at the state level in the South. I went out of my way to empathize for president. After all, when a party is slowly replaced in states, sometimes the first things to go tend to be the party's presidential prospects, which can flip long before the state government flips. I did also go out of my way to empathize that 1) most contemporary republican politicians aren't racists, and 2) Republicans now represent the people, and their descendants that make up the region responsible for slavery/confederacy/Jim Crow. This is 100% undeniable. I also wasn't specifically talking about segregationists, but racists in general. In numerous presidential elections post-1960, registered Democrats did vote, sometimes overwhelmingly, Republican or 3rd party (Wallace/Goldwater).

I actually tried here to avoid any sort of debate about "parties switching" or what not. I'm not sure you got what I was trying to say. Maybe you thought I was dredging up the party-switch idea, but I was not, at least in any sense larger than that the governing party of the region is no longer the Democratic party.

Also, regarding Reagan - I didn't even say he was racist, but he had no problem playing to racism to win. This is, regardless of how you want to try and frame this, a good example of the direction the Republican party went in their search for power. "States rights" has been a dog whistle for basically anything conservatives want to do that most of the country disapproves of. Gay marriage ruled constitutional? States rights! Abortion? States rights! Religious freedom? states rights! It doesn't have to be entirely race related at this point, but it has evolved to try and support any things they want that they can't really get, including discrimination (eg, 'religious freedom'). It's a common tactic in other situations - Delegitimize the power of the actual authorities to try and justify support for potentially unsavory ideas (coincidentally this has been the GOP strategy against all things Obama for basically 6 - 8 years)

But the gist of my argument here is that your castigation of the Democratic party while seemingly revering the Republican party, in terms of racism/the South, is equally unfair. You seem to be operating on party labels and not the actual people (or descendants of those people) who were/are responsible for those things.

(I feel obliged to say I'm not really trying to attack you or anything but such a lashing out against my party, I felt, deserved a heated response)

Abortion-That has been hotly debated for awhile.

Gay Marriage-"The South" doesn't like the court ruling because "The South" is full of evangelicals who don't like Gay Marriage.

Religious Freedom-Its just my opinion that "Hobby Lobby" and a Bakery isn't a church. I know I would called a RINO up and down just for having that opinion.
hopper
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 01:03:12 AM »

2) Republicans now represent the people, and their descendants that make up the region responsible for slavery/confederacy/Jim Crow. This is 100% undeniable. I also wasn't specifically talking about segregationists, but racists in general. In numerous presidential elections post-1960, registered Democrats did vote, sometimes overwhelmingly, Republican or 3rd party (Wallace/Goldwater).

Republicans weren't a Southern Party till like 1998. I don't see how having a presence in the Deep South has to do with Black People voting Dem after 1962.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 01:12:51 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2016, 04:11:41 AM by Virginia »

Republicans weren't a Southern Party till like 1998. I don't see how having a presence in the Deep South has to do with Black People voting Dem after 1962.

I explained before.

The discussion was about why black people shy away from the Republican party, and Oldies went on a rant about how this and that, and how Republicans freed the slaves and Democrats oppressed the blacks, and I went on to say that in this context, it's irrelevant what the parties were and what they did many, many decades ago, because Democrats no longer represent the people responsible for the terrible treatment of blacks / things like Jim Crow. In states like Mississippi and Alabama, notorious for segregation and discrimination, racial partisanship is so deep that Democrats are essentially the black party now. Simply not the same anymore at all.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 03:21:13 AM »

There's safety in numbers, you see.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 10:26:07 AM »

Oldiesfreak, if Trump is the nominee and continues to refuse to renounce David Duke and the KKK's support, do you still plan on voting him because a bunch of Democrats used to be segregationists before you were born?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2016, 11:54:37 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2016, 05:04:13 AM by oreomilkshake »

whitey has to pay

serious answer:

the main issue here is more class than race. outside of the south its not like working class whites have become any less democratic. and for broadly the same reasons as blacks, mexicans, etc. it's just very hard to make tax and program cuts appealing to people outside a certain upper-middle class demographic. not that i really disagree with what you're saying
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2016, 12:22:38 PM »

Note that blacks have a considerably higher unionization rate than whites and are disproportionately represented in the public sector.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »

Because 1/3rd of Blacks live near poverty line, and immigrants are entrepreneurs and Blacks rely heavily on being hired and minimum wage and other races arent so reliable.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »

To be honest, most African American voters I know are not that monolithic.  Some are pretty big, and I know a few short ones, but the vast majority are just average height.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »

Before the Scalia vacancy, alot conservative blacks, especially in Cincinnati, Miami, and Richmond, in pink battleground states were open to a Trump presidency.

Again, in terms of 14th Amendment and restrictions on Voter ID Laws, even in pink battleground states, they arent willing to risk Trump, even in Ohio.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies