Jay Carney: Obama wants Hillary to win
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:20:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jay Carney: Obama wants Hillary to win
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jay Carney: Obama wants Hillary to win  (Read 1212 times)
psychprofessor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2016, 03:51:25 PM »

Well, I think this confirms what we already knew. Obama does Clinton a solid before South Carolina and tacitly endorses her candidacy.

Will this have an impact?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/who-does-obama-want-to-be-president-219097
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 03:53:58 PM »

NO WAY! IMPOSSIBLE! I heard Obama hates Hillary and was secretly plotting to endorse Sanders the second he became a viable candidate! Bernie's massive, crushing win in New Hampshire made him see the light and have an epiphany about the holiness and grace of St. Bernard, just like it will make the voters of South Carolina give him a 50 point win and send the old harpy into the dustbin of history!

Okay, back to reality now.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 03:54:56 PM »

Obama won't endorse either way. Both robotic groups are getting desperate.
psychprofessor

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »

Well, here's the rub: The Congressional Black Caucus PAC endorsed Hillary today; then Jay Carney says Obama wants Hillary, etc...I think these are clear signals to the African American community. It seems like Hillary's strategy is to run as the champion of AA rights and preserve Obama's legacy. Is that enough to hold her lead in places like SC, Georgia, Michigan - states with larger percentages of AA community.
madelka
United States
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »

But but but I thought Obama was going to endorse Sanders after he devastantigly defeated the evil bitch in diverse holy New Hampshire!  #BLACKS4BERNIE

NO WAY! IMPOSSIBLE! I heard Obama hates Hillary and was secretly plotting to endorse Sanders the second he became a viable candidate! Bernie's massive, crushing win in New Hampshire made him see the light and have an epiphany about the holiness and grace of St. Bernard, just like it will make the voters of South Carolina give him a 50 point win and send the old harpy into the dustbin of history!

Okay, back to reality now.

Lol so true.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 03:59:14 PM »

This is pretty obvious. I think he supports the candidate who will his legacy and believes that Hillary would be able to do it. This isn't a surprise. Obama is MUCH closer to Hillary than Sanders.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 04:05:48 PM »

Well, here's the rub: The Congressional Black Caucus PAC endorsed Hillary today; then Jay Carney says Obama wants Hillary, etc...I think these are clear signals to the African American community. It seems like Hillary's strategy is to run as the champion of AA rights and preserve Obama's legacy. Is that enough to hold her lead in places like SC, Georgia, Michigan - states with larger percentages of AA community.

You act like AAs will just vote for anyone that Obama and/or other AA leaders endorse. You do realize that AAs have free will, right?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 04:05:55 PM »

Wow! It's so unexpected that Obama prefers Hillary rather than the guy who constantly trashes his legacy and campaigns along with Obama-haters like Cornell West.
madelka
United States
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 04:12:23 PM »

You act like AAs will just vote for anyone that Obama and/or other AA leaders endorse. You do realize that AAs have free will, right?

Blacks will support the establishment candidate. If Biden was running instead of Clinton, they would support him. Even Obama had to fight hard to get their votes in 2008, this is something most people seem to forget.
psychprofessor

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 04:12:48 PM »

You have trouble reading. I asked "is this enough..." I don't pretend to know how others will vote, but all polls indicate that she has a large lead with AA voters. Is this outreach enough to hold that lead? If AA's feel that Hillary is the person to preserve and protect Obama's legacy, will that help her with her lead in South Carolina.

Sanders had breakfast with Al Sharpton today - so I guess he is trying to do his "outreach" now.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 04:14:41 PM »

You have trouble reading. I asked "is this enough..." I don't pretend to know how others will vote, but all polls indicate that she has a large lead with AA voters. Is this outreach enough to hold that lead? If AA's feel that Hillary is the person to preserve and protect Obama's legacy, will that help her with her lead in South Carolina.

Sanders had breakfast with Al Sharpton today - so I guess he is trying to do his "outreach" now.

Fair enough.

And honestly, I don't understand why he met with Al Sharpton. Nobody besides angry Tea Partiers think he is at all relevant.
psychprofessor

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »

Fair enough.

And honestly, I don't understand why he met with Al Sharpton. Nobody besides angry Tea Partiers think he is at all relevant.

Well, Sanders doesn't have a lot of AA establishment support. That's going to be an issue in places like South Carolina and Georgia, etc...Who is going to speak on his behalf in the churches? The Congressional Black Caucus PAC endorsed Hillary today and are sending 10 surrogates to South Carolina. This is the kind of push that Sanders needs to make a dent - but I'm not sure who he relies on. I don't think Cornel West is an effective surrogate for him.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »

Ugh, here they go, the establishment starting to throw their full weight into the race...

Sad to see Obama fall into this game.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 04:20:19 PM »

Another reasons to believe that Bernie is Howard Dean 2.0
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »

Well, yeah, but it's still nice to hear it confirmed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 04:51:22 PM »

Was Carney speaking at Obama's direction or free lancing? I find him quite annoying myself.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 06:21:05 PM »

It will probably help Hillary more if he endorses her a few days before one of the super Tuesdays, either March 1, March 15 or even March 8.
HillOfANight
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 07:12:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So either he could endorse her after a minor Nevada victory to propel her to a strong South Carolina, or he could endorse after a resounding South Carolina to set her up for Super Tuesday Smiley
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 07:15:10 PM »

So either he could endorse her after a minor Nevada victory to propel her to a strong South Carolina, or he could endorse after a resounding South Carolina to set her up for Super Tuesday Smiley

This might just be me, but I read that as Obama waiting until one of the candidates have a delegate majority.

Speaking of which, is Obana a superdelegate?
HillOfANight
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »

Ugh, here they go, the establishment starting to throw their full weight into the race...

Sad to see Obama fall into this game.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/obama-iowa-2016-sanders-off-message-218166
Nobody forced him to do or say anything in this interview.

"He repeatedly praised Clinton without reservation while offering more tempered praise to the surging Sanders"

"he’s clearly thumbing the scale for Hillary"
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 08:30:42 PM »

This might just be me, but I read that as Obama waiting until one of the candidates have a delegate majority.

Speaking of which, is Obana a superdelegate?
No
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 08:33:23 PM »

It's a testament to Clinton's great strength of character and people skills that she was able to build a strong working relationship with the man who so narrowly denied her presidential bid.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 08:40:31 PM »

Can Obama make it any more obvious that he's backing Clinton without outwardly endorsing her? Everyone at this point should know he's supporting her.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 08:54:36 PM »

Good. We need to exercise this left-wing teabagger cancer from the Democratic Party ASAP. I'm glad that President Obama is making this clear. Let's hope the people listen.
Nichlemn

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 09:09:47 PM »

Has any incumbent President explicitly endorsed his successor when they weren't the party's presumptive nominee? I feel it would be terribly endorsement if he endorsed Clinton, yet Sanders won anyway.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies