Opinion of Millennials
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:54:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Millennials
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Millennials
Freedom Generation

Horrible Generation

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Opinion of Millennials  (Read 1374 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »

Also they vote so Democratic because they're the most diverse.  I doubt older minorities are less loyal to Dems, and I doubt White millennials are overly Democratic.  All that is to say is that I don't think there's been a huge ideology shift from parents to kids, rather a change in who makes up the generation.

I think there's a bit of both, but you're mostly right.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 08:08:39 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2016, 08:21:20 PM by Virginia »

Some good, some bad obviously.

Certainly think a lot of themselves.  Also they vote so Democratic because they're the most diverse.  I doubt older minorities are less loyal to Dems, and I doubt White millennials are overly Democratic.  All that is to say is that I don't think there's been a huge ideology shift from parents to kids, rather a change in who makes up the generation.

White Millennials are definitely more Democratic than the older generations, and not just by a little. In 2008, 54% of white Millennials voted Democratic, as opposed to 41% for white voters ages 30+. 13 points higher difference is pretty big. In 2012, on account of the recession and PPACA, that number dropped to roughly 44% - 45% of white Millennials voting for Obama. That's still 5 - 6 points higher than the national average. You can really take 2 things away from this: 1) The Millennial white vote floor for Democrats is a good bit higher than GenX-Silent, and 2) the ceiling for the Millennial white vote for Democrats is much higher still.

As well, Hispanic Millennials are even more Democratic than the older generations, and African American Millennials' Democratic allegiances are more or less the same.

But worth considering is that these are national averages, so certain states will not be as supportive or uniform as the rest - Especially Southern states vs. Northern states in terms of white Millennial Democratic leanings.

And finally, given current polls for 2016, it looks to be another Millennial blowout for Republicans. Sanders has higher support among Millennials on average than Obama did in 2012, and against certain candidates (Cruz and Trump), he polls as high as 68% - 72% with them. Clinton isn't too much worse, but she looks set to get 58% - 66% against most candidates. Either way, it's clear Republicans won't be even coming close to solving their youth vote issue this cycle. Bernie's campaign has seemingly shown that Obama's youth vote drop was just about Obama and not about young voters not supporting Democrats anymore.

Sources:

http://www.pewresearch.org/2008/11/13/young-voters-in-the-2008-election/

http://www.civicyouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/CIRCLE_2012Election_GenderRace_ForWeb1.pdf
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »

What are the years of millennial births? Because that will factor my opinion.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 04:24:56 AM »

depressing
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 03:43:06 PM »

What are the years of millennial births? Because that will factor my opinion.

Everyone seems to have their own idea about what range this is, just like other generations. I think the most acceptable range would be people who were born between 1981 - 2000 (at least), though I have also seen 1981 - 1996 mentioned.

Considering a generation is roughly 20 - 25 years, the latter range I wrote above seems far too short.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 05:08:19 PM »

We're flawed, but definitely a freedom generation on balance.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »

You can't really judge a whole generation, I agree with that.

However, according to Pew Millennials top concern is being a good parent. Not being successful at their job or making a ton of money. I think we can pretty much all agree that's a good thing.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/03/09/for-millennials-parenthood-trumps-marriage/
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies