Opinion of the Atlas Forum community as a whole?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:08:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the Atlas Forum community as a whole?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Freedom Community

Horrible Community

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Opinion of the Atlas Forum community as a whole?  (Read 2288 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 04:18:10 PM »

Why come here if you think it is a horrible community?

Have you been to other online "communities"?  Most of them are somehow even worse.

I mean, it's pretty simple: regardless of how horrible it is, if they don't bully you, you can come in, say your bit, and then escape. If there are things you don't or can't discuss in the Real WorldTM, it can be a great place to vent and join in discussion here or in other communities, while the overall quality might be atrocious.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »

It depends on your perspective.  You've been registered here 2 months.  Unless you're a sock you've missed a lot over time.   I'm here 10 1/2 years.  Not the longest poster......long enough though.  The place goes through good and bad times, but yes, your point that if you don't like it don't participate is valid.  Many of us have taken leave for a period of time.  I left for a year once.  The establishment of the death point system was a dark time for Atlas.  You'd get your pee pee whacked 5 points or so because some prudish mod thought you were inappropriate (one prude especially).  The thought police were out.  Even sarcasm was death pointed because some prudes don't get the technique of sarcasm. Certain posters who were long timers got fed up and left, a few banned.  People didn't go off the deep end "back then", like recent years.  Lots of people just moved on because life keeps you too busy to stay......we've lost more good posters that way than any other way.

I'm happy to be here most of the time and I have an alternative I enjoy as well........so all is good now.  

Those are some good points. I'll admit, at least once in the very distant past I did some forum hating of my own despite still posting there, but now I like to think that I just went overboard on criticism but did still enjoy the board a lot, or enough to continue posting for awhile.

I think people sometimes get overwhelmed with the negative aspects of a place (such as this forum), and tend to focus more on that despite them still enjoying a lot of the other parts of said place. So I'd like to imagine that people who voted HC are just peeved about certain things but still appreciate a good deal of select content on here.

I do still think people should not be so quick to denigrate Atlas or label it negatively as a whole if they still post here, though.

My favorites are the one who post an attention whoring thread that says "I'm leaving.........." or some other such nonsense.  99% can't leave for more than a week.  Many have tried, few succeed.  This place is like heroin for some.  Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »

If there is a better political discussion forum out there (putting aside the "other place" which feeds off this one, for those into that place), which entertains and tolerates a wide range of views, in a  reasonably civil manner, while allowing anyone to join and post, while still having some quite knowledgable posters, I would like to know what that place is. It is not easy to do that. To my knowledge, this place is unique.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »

It depends on your perspective.  You've been registered here 2 months.  Unless you're a sock you've missed a lot over time.   I'm here 10 1/2 years.  Not the longest poster......long enough though.  The place goes through good and bad times, but yes, your point that if you don't like it don't participate is valid.  Many of us have taken leave for a period of time.  I left for a year once.  The establishment of the death point system was a dark time for Atlas.  You'd get your pee pee whacked 5 points or so because some prudish mod thought you were inappropriate (one prude especially).  The thought police were out.  Even sarcasm was death pointed because some prudes don't get the technique of sarcasm. Certain posters who were long timers got fed up and left, a few banned.  People didn't go off the deep end "back then", like recent years.  Lots of people just moved on because life keeps you too busy to stay......we've lost more good posters that way than any other way.

I'm happy to be here most of the time and I have an alternative I enjoy as well........so all is good now.  

Those are some good points. I'll admit, at least once in the very distant past I did some forum hating of my own despite still posting there, but now I like to think that I just went overboard on criticism but did still enjoy the board a lot, or enough to continue posting for awhile.

I think people sometimes get overwhelmed with the negative aspects of a place (such as this forum), and tend to focus more on that despite them still enjoying a lot of the other parts of said place. So I'd like to imagine that people who voted HC are just peeved about certain things but still appreciate a good deal of select content on here.

I do still think people should not be so quick to denigrate Atlas or label it negatively as a whole if they still post here, though.

My favorites are the one who post an attention whoring thread that says "I'm leaving.........." or some other such nonsense.  99% can't leave for more than a week.  Many have tried, few succeed.  This place is like heroin for some.  Smiley

Or use the "ignore" button. Tongue
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 11:38:12 PM »

It's a great place unless you take it seriously. That's the key to probably every internet community. I've over-serious'd myself out of some places in the past--I've had a better time with this forum due to taking it less seriously.

Also, I'd say that "don't feed the trolls" is an important piece of advice, too. But I often don't follow it. For some reason feeding trolls is often a cathartic experience for me.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 11:45:40 PM »

FC. We're all political and social oddballs, of course, but in a good way. And unlike most other forums, we're small enough that you can actually sort of know most of the posters.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 05:06:37 AM »

Mixed. Before May 2015 it was probably a Lean FC, since then it hasn't been so good.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 07:21:05 AM »

A definite Freedom Forum in all its neckbeard, Paul tarde, obnoxious, sausage fest, bubble world glory.

And let's not get jealous about aad. There are good posters over there, but it's a hole that forum sucks. It's gotten worse since its foundation. Even the posters who left have to a sad degree gotten noticeably worse over there. Le check it out now a days when there's literally everything of interest exhausted here on classic forum, because surfing the friends over there can be occasionally and lightning, but it's mostly just painful.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 07:49:23 AM »

And unlike most other forums, we're small enough that you can actually sort of know most of the posters.

Yep, this is another good thing. Everyone who's here often knows everyone else who's here often--at least as a passing acquaintance, if not a friend.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 08:29:44 AM »

Oh yeah!  I remember that now, you guys were lucky enough to run into a polite admin.  Doesn't change the fact that you still did it and it doesn't matter that it was as terrible place.  Still a dick move no matter how you spin it.

Not denying that we were asshats or that it was stupid, just that it was a big deal! It's still dumb to point to that instance is one indicative of AAD's propensity for shenanigans - AAD's community doesn't exactly align with those of us who engaged in that "dick move" nor did AAD's community exist as a somewhat distinct thing. It has more than earned its own reputation since then and you are free to misunderstand it.

If anything you should be grateful that by separating ourselves you have been given more room to make your views known without as much backlash. Now, my friend, now - what joy is brought into my life whenever I read a dead0man post! Bless you for keeping them only here, where I can truly savour and appreciate the distinct flavours. On AAD it is easy to find sweet, savoury, and artfully sour. But when I need salty and bitter I can always count on you. Here. Away. You must appreciate the separation now for similar reasons, I must imagine. Or is your unwarranted bile coming from a place of separation anxiety?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 08:39:45 AM »

If anything you should be grateful that by separating ourselves you have been given more room to make your views known without as much backlash.

The "separation" does not appear to be very advanced.  Lief, for example, has made more than 500 posts here in the last month(!).  When AAD started, there was all this talk of boycotts, yet there still appears to be an awful lot of frequent AAD posters who keep posting here.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 09:21:01 AM »

Jerks, although there are a few good ones.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »

Freedom Forum because its the only place in the world where I can get excited with other people about precinct level results in the Iowa Caucus and can talk about obscure political geography that literally everyone I know in the 'real world' would find boring.

I really enjoy talking about the politics and most people on here are a cut above other political forums on an intellectual level and seem to respect each others ideologies.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »

Jerks, although there are a few good ones.

When the Internet sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing dank memes. They're bringing idiots. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 05:01:24 PM »

Freedom Community, even when I'm forced to educate the ignorant masses on here.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 10:55:44 AM »

Mainly freedom. Including GOPers.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies