February Federalist Convention (Leadership Elections)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:53:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  February Federalist Convention (Leadership Elections)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: February Federalist Convention (Leadership Elections)  (Read 3490 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 05:38:46 PM »

I tend to agree with Potus.

My recommendation: The chair, with consultation from the Vice Chair, selects the convention city. Let's not overthink this, friends.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 07:08:20 PM »

Why is our convention debating what city we put in the headline of the next convention thread? Our priorities are a little bit off.

Actually, I proposed an amendment that will make it quicker and easier to select the convention city. Both Yankee and Pingvin agreed with this via IRC, so this isn't pedantic Leinad clutching his lapels just for the heck of it.

If you want the process to be any different, I think the proper course of action would still be an amendment in the bylaws. Otherwise this will all be purely on precedent--a rule only in Yankee's mind, not on the page for us all to see. And that will lead to conflict when Yankee leaves, if not before.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2016, 07:44:42 PM by President Griffin »

I nominate Philadelphia, MS.

Seriously, why don't you just look at the SUPERIOR way in which Labor does it? It takes all of 48 hours and allows everyone to have a say.

III. ESTABLISHMENT & MANAGEMENT OF CONVENTIONS

1. The Labor Party Convention will start one month before the Atlasia Presidential Election, with the location of the convention rotating among the five regions of Atlasia in the following order: Mideast, Imperial Dominion, Pacific, Northeast and Midwest.

2. Establishing the next Labor Party Convention shall employ the following process: Each Member is given 24 hours to nominate one city in the given region assigned for the next convention, with the top three (3) nominations being placed on the ballot. Members will be given 24 hours to select their choice.

EDIT: LMAO it'll always be "the Imperial Dominion" to Labor. That just proves how tried, tested and true our by-laws are!
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 07:59:53 PM »

1. The Labor Party Convention will start one month before the Atlasia Presidential Election, with the location of the convention rotating among the five regions of Atlasia in the following order: Mideast, Imperial Dominion, Pacific, Northeast and Midwest.

2. Establishing the next Labor Party Convention shall employ the following process: Each Member is given 24 hours to nominate one city in the given region assigned for the next convention, with the top three (3) nominations being placed on the ballot. Members will be given 24 hours to select their choice.

Well, this is basically what I'm proposing: rotation of regions, and everyone gets to nominate one city in whichever region it is. Midwest first, since it's been the longest since we've been there.

The only difference is the "top three" thing, which is confusing: top three according to who?

Mine is less vague and more democratic.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 08:19:46 PM »

Well, this is basically what I'm proposing: rotation of regions, and everyone gets to nominate one city in whichever region it is. Midwest first, since it's been the longest since we've been there.

The only difference is the "top three" thing, which is confusing: top three according to who?

The three with the most votes; in case of tie, we go on chronological order of submission/nomination. It's quick, easy, and painless. Nobody really cares where a convention is held - no need to drag it out for days and days.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 10:25:30 PM »

The three with the most votes; in case of tie, we go on chronological order of submission/nomination. It's quick, easy, and painless. Nobody really cares where a convention is held - no need to drag it out for days and days.

True, although my amendment does nothing to drag it out. It can easily be done in 24 hours.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2016, 10:40:14 AM »

NO ONE CARES. All convention city votes are is a waste of time. Let's not make this too difficult, folks...

I propose an amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The chair has little power. Give them this - if they don't listen to our suggestions and keep having the convention in places that members don't like, there is a democratic process in place to select a new chair.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2016, 11:01:42 AM »

NO ONE CARES. All convention city votes are is a waste of time. Let's not make this too difficult, folks...

I propose an amendment:

The chair has little power. Give them this - if they don't listen to our suggestions and keep having the convention in places that members don't like, there is a democratic process in place to select a new chair.

I second this, no one cares where we have the convention.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »

Alright, alright. Maybe Yankee could have us vote on both amendments at the same time. Sort of like: Leinad's Amendment vs. Tmth's Amendment vs. Status Quo. Ranked ballot it, too, although I'd imagine one of ours would get a majority (no one seems to want the status quo, obviously).
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2016, 09:27:15 PM »

I personally prefer Leinad's amendment, but Tmth has a point...
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2016, 04:27:00 AM »

I personally prefer Leinad's amendment, but Tmth has a point...

Indeed he does, which is why I'm not writing an essay on why we should go with my way.

But I will make a quick point: this should be something everyone in the party can have a say in. It's supposed to be fun, guys! Fun! If this took a week to do, I'd be with you, but it shouldn't take all that long.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 04:58:11 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Quote from: Restricted

Official Ballot:
[  ] Proposal A
[  ] Proposal B
[  ] Status Quo

This vote will run for 48 hours.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 05:14:19 AM »

Guys, we had to hope and pray turnout would be low enough to put our last minute write-in candidate would win the Midwest. We didn't compete for the NE or ME, which there is little reason not to try.

Why is our convention debating what city we put in the headline of the next convention thread? Our priorities are a little bit off.

There is nothing in this convention that will material impact efforts with regards to candidate and member recruitment in the NE and ME. Those processes are proceeding apace and have been on a continual basis for a long time.

I would love to know why people are getting so worked up over this matter, if no one truly cares about it, then no one should truly care that we vote on it. For that matter, aside from contested nominations and speeches, the convention is a mere formality anyways, except when it comes to matters of the bylaws, platforms and leadership.

I am hessitant to wave the bloody shirt, but I will note that it was not result of a bylaw or platform change that this party continues to endure in spite of the best efforts of some of Atlasia's strongest players to see it be otherwise. It's survival and recovery is the result of determination. It has been my experience that no one indeed cares about the city, but the same is true of the bylaws and the platform. That said, we need objectives to pursue, processes for selecting candidates and determinging those objectives and a structured event to carry out those procedures. Pomp, circumstance and location help to add to the fun of the experience as well as boost participation, which impacts turnout for the election. 

The convention city selection process has been broken for a simple reason. I have put it off in order to make way for promised bylaw and platform amendments but the interest in such always died off so nothing ever happened. This necessitates a hurried last minute selection, which occured in October and February. Prior to that, we didn't have such breakdowns, at least not on a regular basis.   
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 06:09:38 AM »

Official Ballot:
[X] Proposal A
[  ] Proposal B
[  ] Status Quo

Pomp, circumstance and location help to add to the fun of the experience as well as boost participation, which impacts turnout for the election.

This a million times.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:53 AM »

Proposal B
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »

Official Ballot:
[1] Proposal A
[2] Proposal B
[3] Status Quo
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »

Official Ballot:
[ X ] Proposal A
[  ] Proposal B
[  ] Status Quo

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »

Proposal B
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 01:39:10 PM »

Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »

[1] Proposal A
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2016, 07:49:47 PM »

It was a 48 hour vote, correct?

Either way, Proposal A wins, and it's time for Yankee to take us to the next phase of the Convention.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2016, 12:26:14 AM »

Sorry, but Proposal A doesn't even make sense to me. How can you only go 4 conventions without hosting when there are presently 5 regions? We shouldn't be setting our rules based on the assumption that a new constitution will be ratified.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 12:48:58 AM »

Sorry, but Proposal A doesn't even make sense to me. How can you only go 4 conventions without hosting when there are presently 5 regions? We shouldn't be setting our rules based on the assumption that a new constitution will be ratified.

Crap, I meant more than 4.

I really wish someone would've noticed that, maybe, BEFORE we voted on it. (And I'm reprimanding myself mostly.)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2016, 05:05:51 AM »

Yea Proposal A wins regardless of the count including the late votes or not.

4-3 including, 3-1 without.

Federalist have 48 hours to nominate a city within the present confines of the Midwest Region.

Yes, I am not ignoring the absence of the "more than in the text".

I am not sure if someone would object to doing like this, but it is a gramatical error, not a content change.

So, I move to adjust the text to insert the words, "more than" in front of the number of conventions. Federalists have 48 hours to object and request a vote on this motion.

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2016, 03:53:38 PM »

Alright, more than 48 hours have elapsed and no one has objected, so my omission of "more than" is reversed. Thanks, Yankee!

Now, we've also had more than 48 hours and no one has nominated a city. I guess this is kind of everyone's fault...

I move to nominate Lincoln, Nebraska.

Two reasons: 1) what better way to win back the Presidency than going to a city that shares the name of one of our predecessor country's most well-known Presidents? 2) it's close to the center of the country, which matters less in the days of airplanes, but whatever.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies