PBS Milwaukee, WI Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:32:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  PBS Milwaukee, WI Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: PBS Milwaukee, WI Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**  (Read 7225 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2016, 10:09:35 PM »

I do think Hillary has a good point on financial regulation and the need to take a broader perspective. Bernie should take her to her word on that.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2016, 10:09:58 PM »

Looks like foreign policy is coming up next. Let's see if Sanders studied up.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2016, 10:10:41 PM »

THERE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE A BREAK
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2016, 10:10:45 PM »

I liked Sanders "Why does the _____ industry donate?" Line that he repeated with various industries. It's a very good point.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »

I liked Sanders "Why does the _____ industry donate?" Line that he repeated with various industries. It's a very good point.

Indeed. It says a lot that Hillary has NO response to that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #155 on: February 11, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »

Women announcers, women questioners, women analysts, lol.

That was the weakness of Clinton's whole image and she failed to address it head on. If she loses the campaign, it'll be because of this.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2016, 10:13:18 PM »

A break?!  Didn't I read that there would be no break?

Either Sanders has to change his diaper or Clinton has to change her sanitary napkin.  Who said that there's no break?  I think I read it on this forum.  It was the OP, as I recall.  Or am I getting as senile as these two ancient Americans running for president?

Well, that's okay, I'm getting to the point of an empty glass anyway.  A break is welcome.

I haven't heard anything new from either one of them tonight, to be honest, and I heard lots of agreement.  In fact, "vigorous agreement" according to Clinton.  I hope Sanders finds a way to actually distinguish himself after his laxative break.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2016, 10:13:23 PM »

Sanders is sure to have many adverbs and adjectives prepared for the foreign policy questions.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2016, 10:13:57 PM »

LOL, the PBS pundits are ridiculously biased.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2016, 10:14:17 PM »

Here is the proper response:
"Senator Sanders, I ran against President Obama in 2008 and found him a formidable opponent.  HE took money from the pharmaceutical industry!  HE took money from billionaires!  For heaven's sake, he took twice as much money from Wall Street as I have!  [misleading statistic, use the general election numbers]  So I ask you Senator Sanders, since you appear to be claiming that our President was bought and paid for by those industries, what did they get out of it?  What did he give them for all the money they gave him?"
Maybe she could start listing things AGAINST those industries' interests that Obama did and claiming she was partly responsible for them.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2016, 10:14:52 PM »

Remember to take a shot when Bernie mentions the "hero King Abdullah of Jordan".
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »

At least that's the part where all the viewers get up to go to the bathroom.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2016, 10:15:37 PM »

Sanders is sure to have many adverbs and adjectives prepared for the foreign policy questions.

He thinks it would be pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good if we didn't get more involved in the Middle East quagmire.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2016, 10:15:53 PM »

"Senator Sanders, I ran against President Obama in 2008 and found him a formidable opponent.  HE took money from the pharmaceutical industry!  HE took money from billionaires!  For heaven's sake, he took twice as much money from Wall Street as I have!  [misleading statistic, use the general election numbers]  So I ask you Senator Sanders, since you appear to be claiming that our President was bought and paid for by those industries, what did they get out of it?  What did he give them for all the money they gave him?"
Maybe she could start listing things AGAINST those industries' interests that Obama did and claiming she was partly responsible for them.

Yeah, she can shut this line of attack down, but never does.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:04 PM »

"Senator Sanders, I ran against President Obama in 2008 and found him a formidable opponent.  HE took money from the pharmaceutical industry!  HE took money from billionaires!  For heaven's sake, he took twice as much money from Wall Street as I have!  [misleading statistic, use the general election numbers]  So I ask you Senator Sanders, since you appear to be claiming that our President was bought and paid for by those industries, what did they get out of it?  What did he give them for all the money they gave him?"

This doesn't answer the question. Is she arguing that the corporations that donated to Obama did so for no good reason? Out of the goodness of their heart? Or do they just like to waste their money?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:48 PM »

Hillary's suit just keeps looking worse and worse. It's something someone from Panem would wear.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »

Here she goes again on "government reform". Roll Eyes

A Clinton is always a Clinton...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2016, 10:19:15 PM »

Jeezus H. Christ.  The first question after "the break" was from a 55-year-old Ohio musician who asked, "what government programs might be reduced" and the best either of them could come up with was "I am very knowledgeable and I think that we should reduce some government programs because it's all very inefficient.  I'd start a study to see what could be reduced..."

Really?  This was tailor-made for "The bloated military budget!!!"  WTF was Sanders thinking?  I could see Clinton evading that.  She's all for World War Three, but I'm deeply disappointed in Sanders for his strike-out-looking answer to that softball question.

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2016, 10:19:46 PM »

My answer to 'why?', would be that industry donates to who they think will win.  They don't want to waste their money on a loser.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2016, 10:21:17 PM »

My answer to 'why?', would be that industry donates to who they think will win.  They don't want to waste their money on a loser.

But why? Why do they feel the need to donate to the winner? This still doesn't answer the question.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »

Again with the Iraq War speech...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2016, 10:21:54 PM »

This doesn't answer the question. Is she arguing that the corporations that donated to Obama did so for no good reason? Out of the goodness of their heart? Or do they just like to waste their money?

The correct answer is 1) employees of industries are not the same as industries themselves, and 2) only 7% of Clinton's donations were from Wall Street employees. In a small, local election a single industry can dominate a politician, but with a national figure like Hillary, she doesn't really need them. Bernie's own campaign (as well as Obama's in 2008) proved that huge numbers of smaller donors are more important for national candidates.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2016, 10:23:09 PM »

"Senator Sanders, I ran against President Obama in 2008 and found him a formidable opponent.  HE took money from the pharmaceutical industry!  HE took money from billionaires!  For heaven's sake, he took twice as much money from Wall Street as I have!  [misleading statistic, use the general election numbers]  So I ask you Senator Sanders, since you appear to be claiming that our President was bought and paid for by those industries, what did they get out of it?  What did he give them for all the money they gave him?"

The reasons that corporations donate to politicians are complicated.  The primary reason is that if politicians have 200 laws they need to pass, but only 100 can get passed this session, the company wants the law that pertains to be one of those 100.  Or they just want the politician to think about issues related to that company.  "We have a problem, this douchebag chemical plant upriver keeps dumping pollutants in the stream and we have to throw away fish all the time because of it.  I know you'll have a lot on your plate in congress but if you could look into some regulations to solve this problem we'd really appreciate it."
A lot of the time they just want a particular politician to get elected over another politician.  There are plenty of democrats on Wall Street who just want to make sure Clinton gets elected because they like her more than Sanders, or they like her more than Trump.  So they give money without expecting any quid pro quo or issue advocacy.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »

Bringing up Mossadegh…I think he's developing this point better than he has before.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2016, 10:23:41 PM »

OMG, Bernie's a hero for bringing up Mossadegh.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies