Black NYT columnist: Stop Bernie-Splaining to Black Voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:24:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Black NYT columnist: Stop Bernie-Splaining to Black Voters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Black NYT columnist: Stop Bernie-Splaining to Black Voters  (Read 3499 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »
« edited: February 11, 2016, 08:44:18 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

If he doesn't explicitly mention African Americans in every speech, he's ignoring Black issues. If he explicitly mentions African Americans in every speech, he's "Bernie-splaining". It's clear Bernie could do nothing to please the people who write articles like this, so he shouldn't try.

I hate to empty-quote Mortimer but he's right. While some articles written about Black voters' love of Hillary are quite condescending, this is true of progressives in general, who have the tendency to make claims about "interests". "If only Group X could see where their interest would lie, they would vote for Candidate Y." Articles in this vein have been written about the white working class time and time again. This has nothing to do with racism, it's related to a certain tone-deafness that exists in certain quarters of the left.

That said, it is fairly accurate that Black voters know little about Bernie Sanders. There's nothing condescending about stating this; they tend to make less money and to have lower levels of education. They're also concentrated in states where Sanders has run little advertising or radio ads. They might know his name and understand his positions on a few issues but I don't think that, for the most part, they have been paying much attention to the primary. Does this mean that they will ultimately end up backing him in large numbers? I doubt it but I don't think that Clinton-luvrs can afford to be so complacent.
HillOfANight
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 08:45:03 PM »

I think Ta Nehisi Coates endorsing Sanders will have a much more desired effect on the black community.

The truth of the matter is, Sanders has a better record and better policy proposals regarding the issues that blacks care about.  And the article is right... nobody should be condescending.  But encouraging black people to research the candidates and decide for themselves is certainly not wrong in and of itself.

First of all, most people unless they watch CNN or read the New York Times don't know Ta Nehisi Coates.

Secondly, why do black people specifically need to be proactively sought to Feel the Bern? Why do BernieSplainers think they are ignorant by default?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:43 PM »

Dumb article. I don't see why it's more important that Sanders is less engaged with the black vote than it is what Hillary is unengaged with the youth vote, as the latter is equally as important. Yet she seems to get a lot less crap over it than Sanders gets over his underperformance among blacks. You can't win every demographic.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:54 PM »

I'd argue that both Berniebots and Hillbots are equally guilty. The majority of both groups are just fine. However, there are some Berniebots who think AAs are ignorant, just as there are some Hillbots who think that they are entitled to the AA vote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 08:51:52 PM »

Nowhere as bad as the Hillary-Splaining to young women voters
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 02:52:48 AM »

Dumb article. I don't see why it's more important that Sanders is less engaged with the black vote than it is what Hillary is unengaged with the youth vote, as the latter is equally as important. Yet she seems to get a lot less crap over it than Sanders gets over his underperformance among blacks. You can't win every demographic.

At this point, Bernie is working much harder than Hillary to get the Black vote, it's just not working.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 03:05:26 AM »

Nowhere as bad as the Hillary-Splaining to young women voters

I know right?

Stuff like this combined with Hillary's idea that even though her entire political career is based upon her husband's last name she shouldn't have to take any responsibility for the things he did are pushing me to Sanders.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies