The New Jim Crow Author:  Why Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:13:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The New Jim Crow Author:  Why Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The New Jim Crow Author:  Why Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote  (Read 1397 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:20:34 PM »

Michelle Williams, law professor and author of The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, states that From the crime bill to welfare reform, policies Bill Clinton enacted—and Hillary Clinton supported—decimated black America.

It's an interesting article and it should be noted that this is not an endorsement of Sanders. Just that he would be the lesser of two evils.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »

But had she and her husband not embraced policies like that, we'd be taking field trips to the Dan Quayle Presidential Library.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 12:26:47 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2016, 12:31:00 PM by Likely Voter »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's a really damning article, Wow
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow. Too bad she doesn't talk tough like this anymore.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »

But had she and her husband not embraced policies like that, we'd be taking field trips to the Dan Quayle Presidential Library.

True, but perhaps the country would have realized that the policies were crappier faster had someone stood up against them instead of cynically endorsing them (though in fairness to the Clintons, they may have sincerely thought this particular policy was the best move in this particular case)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:42:43 PM »

This ignores a lot of context - particularly the fact that many of these policies were widely supported by both the black community and law enforcement until maybe midway through the last decade. In the 90s, these were the "common sense" reforms we all bemoan aren't getting passed today. Not to mention the fact that Clinton is actively running a campaign specifically decrying these policies and acknowledging their failure. Sanders doesn't seem to be anywhere on this issue, and I'm not sure why he should "deserve" the vote any more than Hillary.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 12:44:03 PM »

You act like that'd be a bad thing. At the very least, I'm sure it'd help out the potatoe industry.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 12:47:39 PM »

This ignores a lot of context - particularly the fact that many of these policies were widely supported by both the black community and law enforcement until maybe midway through the last decade. In the 90s, these were the "common sense" reforms we all bemoan aren't getting passed today. Not to mention the fact that Clinton is actively running a campaign specifically decrying these policies and acknowledging their failure. Sanders doesn't seem to be anywhere on this issue, and I'm not sure why he should "deserve" the vote any more than Hillary.

Did you read the article? If you did you would see that she brought up many of those points.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 12:59:07 PM »

Did you read the article? If you did you would see that she brought up many of those points.

Ah, I just caught that. Thanks for pointing it out. I was like half-way through when I made my post.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 01:06:36 PM »

I think that article is a sneaky way of attempting to help Sanders. Regardless of the context, I am not a fan of these black nutjob columnists. They are annoying race baiters.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »

Ah, I just caught that. Thanks for pointing it out. I was like half-way through when I made my post.

No problem.
indysaff
reapersaff
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »

I think that article is a sneaky way of attempting to help Sanders. Regardless of the context, I am not a fan of these black nutjob columnists. They are annoying race baiters.

She doesn't really give Sanders a glowing review either, she's pretty critical of him near the end of the article.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 01:21:35 PM »

She doesn't really give Sanders a glowing review either, she's pretty critical of him near the end of the article.

B-b-but... the anti-Clinton agenda!
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2016, 01:23:59 PM by EliteLX »

Why should she? Her and her party's policies on African Americans have kept them poor, centered in unanswered violence and screwed over in literally every area where the Democrats have dominated for sixty years.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 02:50:29 PM »

Why should she? Her and her party's policies on African Americans have kept them poor, centered in unanswered violence and screwed over in literally every area where the Democrats have dominated for sixty years.

Yep. It's quite sad. I wish they could be lifted up and helped financially, but all the Democrats do is cater to instant relief instead of long-term.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »

The corporatist Democrats created a poverty trap. Good jobs are impossible to get. The only other way to get affordable housing and healthcare is to be poor. In addition to the original creators of this system, now many of the new identitarians are fighting to keep it because of their sense of white guilt.

The only solution is social democracy, benefits for all as a right, not determined by income.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »

No one "deserves" anyone's votes. Sanders supporters are really pathetically cringeworthy on this matter.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 04:35:46 PM »

Clinton betrayed progressive causes for political expediency at every turn, and if Democrats had an ounce of self-respect, this last name would be a permanent mark of infamy.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 04:41:31 PM »

Considering that the Clinton years was the last time black people saw any meaningful growth in their incomes and standards of living, I doubt many will buy into these vapid arguments that the Clintons betrayed black people at every turn.

People always make the argument that people should vote on economic self interest, not identity politics. Perhaps that is a better explanation for Clinton's popularity among black voters, since many remember the good times of the Clinton years.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 04:41:45 PM »

Fascists in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 08:23:35 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2016, 08:28:08 AM by EliteLX »

Fascists in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Hahaha oh my god shut up already, just because they aren't a flaming liberal doesn't mean they're a fascist.

At least argue back a credible point and not some more paper thin nonsense. Democrat dominated cities have literally held African Americans burdened and dependent for decades and you're a fool not to admit.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 09:12:09 AM »

As an a aside, I noticed how tone deaf Alec Ross, Clinton's senior advisor on innovation when she was Secretary of State, was the other day when flacking his new book on some public radio program. According to him, one of the things that made America great was that except for Native Americans, our ancestors (at least he didn't call them forefathers) made the choice to face the challenge of a new land far from their home. I guess the Middle Passage must not have been as fearsome as even the white-washed history books I read in elementary school said it was if their "passengers" made the "choice" to be there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies