Milk_and_Cereal gun speech at Richmond, Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:44:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Milk_and_Cereal gun speech at Richmond, Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Milk_and_Cereal gun speech at Richmond, Virginia  (Read 978 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2005, 10:14:43 PM »

Hello my fellow mideasterners, I have come here to discuss a vitally important issue-gun ownership.  Although I may bend to accomodate some issues brought up in the senate, one issue I will never stray from is the Atlasian's right to keep and bear arms.

Gun ownership is a right.  It is not a privilege.  What this means is that nothing can revoke this right since it is protected under the Constitution.  You do not need a permit to carry a gun.  If this happens, your right becomes a privilege given to you under the Atlasian government.

One concern of gun control advocates is that guns have the power to kill somebody and therefore should be outlawed.  I would tell them that it may not necessarily be a bad thing if somebody tries to deprive your right to life or property. 

The fact of the matter is depriving people of guns has two main consequences:
1) it renders victims defenseless against their attackers:
Now if guns were ever completely banned, this would empower criminals to take advantage of the fact that citizens cannot protect themselves.  A criminal isn't going to think "oh, I guess guns are outlawed, I'm not going to use one". NO! He's going to ignore the law because he's a criminal and will use the gun to commit a crime against those whom he targets.  You don't even need to carry a gun, or a knife.  Just the simple fact that you COULD be carrying a weapon is enough to scare off many dangerous criminals.
2) it's another opportunity for government to gain control and citizens to lose control of their lives.  How can we trust government to know that this course of action is right for us? 

As a given rule, the looser the gun restrictions in an area, the lower the crime rate.  Even those who disagree with me, cannot deny the evidence of the direct relation to gun control and high crime rates.

Many people are concerned with terrorism.  I say the best thing we can do to prevent terrorism is to allow for an armed populous.  If terrorists launch an assault to invade America, they should expect a bloody welcome by Atlasians who will fight to keep our great nation safe.

My opponent voted for the right to own firearms and small explosives.  I agree with him on this one.  I think we can do more, however.  If elected, I will propose a bill to nullify any gun-free zone in public.  Private property is another matter.  I respect the rights of individuals who own an establishment to care for it as they see fit.  However, there is no reason to keep schools or airplanes unsafe.

Vote for individual liberty!
Vote for absolute gun rights!
Vote for Milk_and_Cereal for senator of the Mideast!

Good night, and God bless.

(cheering, applause)
(Milk and Cereal song playing as I exit)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 10:17:41 PM »

Do you think kids should be able to bring guns to school?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 10:34:02 PM »

yes, and it's a parents responsiblity to teach kids respect for firearms.  I can only imagine how many deaths would be prevented in cases like Columbine if a student in the hall intercepted the ones who started the trouble.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 10:44:42 PM »

maybe the government should give out guns for free to every rational and law-abaiding citizen. Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 10:52:07 PM »

yes, and it's a parents responsiblity to teach kids respect for firearms.  I can only imagine how many deaths would be prevented in cases like Columbine if a student in the hall intercepted the ones who started the trouble.

Wouldn't that just result in an even deadlier fight, since now more people are firing?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 12:12:15 AM »

If someone acted quickly, it would result in less deaths.  Consider not every kid would have a gun, rare it would be that parents would ever allow it.  In this case however, the one in a hundred people who are armed could confront the killers and would be less deadly than having fourteen kids as sitting ducks
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 12:25:00 AM »

Woah woah woah. I'm a public school student and having guns at school would be a horrible, horrible, horrible idea. Some kids just would never learn responsible guncare. Adding guns to the mix in an environment like that is not a good idea. I would no longer feel safe at school.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 07:46:39 AM »

Everyone allowed to have guns? Yes that's a very good idea.

Taking guns to school? Terrible TERRIBLE idea! Do you have any ideas how many deaths would and could start happening a year?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 10:55:37 AM »

Taking guns to school? Terrible TERRIBLE idea! Do you have any ideas how many deaths would and could start happening a year?

You imagine the shootings that would start in the safe envorinment our schools have been until now... oh, wait.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 01:26:23 PM »

from my stance on ____ thread:
pro free market education:  this is not the same as a voucher system where allowances are doled out by the state and you still must choose their schools.  I think that schools should run like a business and in a capitalistic society a need is met where it is found.  Rather than the government monopoly we currently have, schools should compete for academic excellence.  Children graduate smarter because their not just being passed along and the standards of learning are not state controlled.

If we abolish public schools and they become private, that sets up terms for which the owners of the schools can decide the weapons policy.  It would be extremely rare that any business official would allow for more than a handgun by someone in the administration.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 01:31:49 PM »

maybe the government should give out guns for free to every rational and law-abaiding citizen. Smiley

We tried that here, and it failed.  I don't think many libertarians will see the point in extending government taxes to cover socialized gun distribution.  Except Philip, that is.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 01:47:53 PM »

WTF? Since when do I support socialized gun distribution?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 01:51:32 PM »

WTF? Since when do I support socialized gun distribution?

Since you voted to keep the socialized gun distribution clause in our concealed carry law last weekend.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 01:52:59 PM »

Damn, I didn't read that carefully enough. I thought it was the right to carry a handgun.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 01:56:09 PM »

Heh heh, that's why I called it the "Read the Whole Damn Bill Before Voting" Statute. Tongue
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2005, 02:02:37 PM »

I would assume that before bringing a gun to school, parental permission and lengthy training would be required in addition to pyschological exams. 
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2005, 09:44:45 PM »

I would assume that before bringing a gun to school, parental permission and lengthy training would be required in addition to pyschological exams. 
Who pays for all of that?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2005, 12:33:46 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2005, 12:35:17 AM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

You imagine the shootings that would start in the safe envorinment our schools have been until now... oh, wait.

Uncontrolled school shootings would maybe cease, but wouldn't having guns as completely permissable kind of make bullying even worse?  The people who are targets of bullying are likely not the type to want to defend themselves with a gun.  It seems to me that the only way that guns would made the schoolyard safer is if every single kid was completely comfortable with using one.

I know that I would not feel safe at all if I knew that any guy next to me in the school hallway might have a gun on him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies