Are Republicans in Congress blowing our best chance to fund infrastructure dev?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:36:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are Republicans in Congress blowing our best chance to fund infrastructure dev?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: As title says, are Republicans in Congress blowing the best chance in a generation to fund the maintenance and expansion of our infrastructure, by not increasing the gas tax while gas prices are at almost historically low levels?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Are Republicans in Congress blowing our best chance to fund infrastructure dev?  (Read 865 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2016, 03:16:04 PM »
« edited: February 11, 2016, 03:17:57 PM by Virginia »

Something I was thinking of today was that, as we all know, in such a short period of time the price of gasoline has plummeted and we now have a great opportunity to temporarily raise the gas tax without any significant problems for the people. I pay $1.62/gallon in my area as of today as opposed to over $3.20 not much longer than a year ago. Gas prices are expected to stay relatively low for at least a couple years now, and could fall even further still.

So my problem here is, Republicans are completing and ignorantly squandering the one chance they will have in probably decades more to raise the gasoline tax substantially with very little negative effects or blowback from the public. All because of this almost religious position of no new taxes, no matter what. Gas taxes could be raised by anywhere from 20 - 30 cents, which would raise many hundreds of billions over a ten year period. Our infrastructure is crumbling and requires over 1 - 2 trillion dollars in the next 10 years to just bring it up to code across the country. We simply cannot cut the federal budget by over $100 - $200 million a year to fund this. It just won't happen, no matter how much anyone wants it, and even if we did, it would have far more harmful effects on the country than a temporary gas tax increase.

As much as anyone hates taxes, I think we should all be able to agree that gas prices are so low right now across most of the country that a temporary new tax to repair and expand our infrastructure would be well worth it, as it has to be done eventually, or else it will cost even more in the future. We can't ignore this problem and expect it to go away. I mean, seriously, who can have a real objection to paying, say, $1.92 vs $1.62 right now, just for a couple years until prices go back up, given how badly we need to fix our infrastructure across the board?

Thoughts?

Just for clarification purposes, I didn't really mention Democrats here because they are already on board with raising gas taxes

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »

The gas tax should be high enough to pay for what those who use gas wear out. In the past, the pool of money from gas taxes that went into funding highways, was looted. Beyond that, the gas tax is regressive, similar to the property tax (so in theory it should not be funding non property related services). So it is less about taking advantage of the dip in petroleum prices, and more about folks paying their own way for what they use in the nature of public services. And then there is the issue of funding public transit, which does not use much gas. I think that should be funded more out of general revenues, because the positive externalities economically are so high in encouraging its use.

That's my opinion. Since the gas tax has not gone up with inflation, it probably is indeed too low, irrespective of the cost of petroleum at the moment.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:39 PM »

That's my opinion. Since the gas tax has not gone up with inflation, it probably is indeed too low, irrespective of the cost of petroleum at the moment.

It definitely is. It was created to serve a purpose and it has been left to atrophy for so long that it can no longer pay for even basic maintenance. It just seems like such a shame to let this opportunity go to waste. Gas prices are so low right now that I'm not even sure anyone would really realize the gas tax was raised unless someone flat out told them. Otherwise, it's cheap enough where no one would really complain.

I just don't get why Republicans won't work with Democrats to solve the infrastructure problem. If others weren't constantly pushing the issue, they seem content to just let it crumble and break down around them, as long as it means they don't have to break their no taxes pledge. It's insanely reckless because no matter what, eventually the bill is going to come due. There is no avoiding it, unless we simply want to do away with roads, trains, our water systems, and so on.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:45:26 PM »

For once I am in complete agreement with Torie. And while it is disappointing the GOP won't help out, you bold the word temporary - as ideal as that would be, taxes are rarely temporary even when prescribed to be. But I'd agree to it, doesn't halt my support. The only thing that would make me second think it would be if it seriously hurt the already damaged industry beyond its current state, but that won't happen - I have no reason to believe this would have that effect.

Just an observation which may have little truth to it - why does it seen that the Mid-Atlantic is fine (presumably taking care of these needs itself) while the rest of the country is in disarray, infrastructure in decay. Extremely dated statistic, but I remember at the time of the Minnesota bridge collapse, the bridges that were 'dated' beyond their repair date or whatever were completely outside of this area. Does the population/money just keep federal grants here first before putting it elsewhere?
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:48:38 PM »

For once I am in complete agreement with Torie. And while it is disappointing the GOP won't help out, you bold the word temporary - as ideal as that would be, taxes are rarely temporary even when prescribed to be. But I'd agree to it, doesn't halt my support. The only thing that would make me second think it would be if it seriously hurt the already damaged industry beyond its current state, but that won't happen - I have no reason to believe this would have that effect.

Just an observation which may have little truth to it - why does it seen that the Mid-Atlantic is fine (presumably taking care of these needs itself) while the rest of the country is in disarray, infrastructure in decay. Extremely dated statistic, but I remember at the time of the Minnesota bridge collapse, the bridges that were 'dated' beyond their repair date or whatever were completely outside of this area. Does the population/money just keep federal grants here first before putting it elsewhere?

For once I am in total agreement with you Tongue.

It's just bizarre in Cali, because if you drive to Nevada the roads improve exponentially the literal moment you cross the state line.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 11:58:16 PM »

South Carolina's roads are bad enuf that we actually have Republicans seeking to increase the gas tax, tho only if some other tax is cut at the same time of course.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:05:26 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2016, 12:07:08 AM by Virginia »

South Carolina's roads are bad enuf that we actually have Republicans seeking to increase the gas tax, tho only if some other tax is cut at the same time of course.

That seems so pointless and typical of them. The whole point is to raise more money, and instead they are trying to play some sort of shell game with the budget.

Honestly, it's beginning to appear a bit comical to me how insanely devoted Republicans have become to avoiding any and all new taxes, no matter how important and necessary. Their rationale at this point is not based in any logic whatsoever. It's just become an automatic, knee-jerk response to say NOPE, independent of any reason or decent justification.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 12:19:52 AM »

That seems so pointless and typical of them. The whole point is to raise more money, and instead they are trying to play some sort of shell game with the budget.

Honestly, it's beginning to appear a bit comical to me how insanely devoted Republicans have become to avoiding any and all new taxes, no matter how important and necessary. Their rationale at this point is not based in any logic whatsoever. It's just become an automatic, knee-jerk response to say NOPE, independent of any reason or decent justification.

Unfortunately, this is true. It would mean trouble in the primary for them to accept tax increases of any kind in the Republican party of this day and age.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 08:12:40 PM »

Maybe this might stand a better chance in Congress?

CBO: Use tolls, mileage fees to fund roads

By Keith Laing - 02/16/16 05:57 PM EST

You must be logged in to read this quote.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 08:46:48 PM »

The reason for higher cost per mile of travel of rural roads is due to the fact that some costs are going to be per mile of road rather than per mile of travel.  A road system that is all main highways and no byways is not particularly useful.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies