Bernie could win New York (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:00:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie could win New York (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bernie could win New York  (Read 5956 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:58:29 AM »
« edited: February 12, 2016, 01:00:52 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Sure, if everyone in the state outside of Williamsburg, Park Slope and Lower Manhattan forgets to vote. Roll Eyes

edit: And when I say Lower Manhattan I'm obviously not including the Financial District and Chinatown.

You're being too generous to Bernie, I doubt that he'll do much better than break even in Park Slope.

I'd expect him to do better than expected in some of the gentrifying neighborhoods, where white gentrifier turnout might outpace Black turnout. Maybe he could come close to winning Bushwick or "Bed-stuy"?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 01:08:40 AM »

Wonder who the Upper West/East sides vote for in a Clinton/Sanders matchup. Probably splits down age lines again. A lot of the old money/old jewish communities are more mainstream Hillary type people while Sanders could do well with the younger liberals in Manhattan.

Are white Manhattanites actually that left-wing, or are they mostly "social liberals"?  

What's the ratio of business-oriented professionals to "creative class" professionals and educators in Manhattan?  Brooklyn?

In Brooklyn, I presume that Blacks are the plurality of Democratic primary voters.

Manhattan is filled with "creative class" professionals but they tend to be wealthy or upper middle class and, thus, not all that amenable to Sanders' message, which is partially why the reaction to his campaign from the New Yorker or the Atlantic has been one of bafflement/bemusement. It's noteworthy that venerable publications that are read by liberals seem to be "in the tank" for Hillary Clinton, even while they publish great in-depth articles about social problems that Bernie discusses. There's no reason to believe that the wealthiest "creative class" types, who tend to be left-leaning through the West, would break for Bernie, who if he was running elsewhere, would be red and not green.

I imagine that large swathes of New York might be more amenable to Bernie than we might think but they're probably in unexpected quarters of the city. If someone knew where so-called "gentrifiers" live/tend to live or where lower middle class/middle class creative class types tend to live, I think that's where Bernie would find his support imo.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies