Nevada Democratic Caucus Result
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:50:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Nevada Democratic Caucus Result
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Huh
Clinton 65% and up

Clinton 60-64%

Clinton 55-59%

Clinton 50-54%

Sanders wins

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Nevada Democratic Caucus Result  (Read 6839 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 12:05:10 AM »

Will they actually have vote totals or are they stupid like Iowa

They're stupid like Iowa.  Here's an explanation of the 2008 Democratic process in Nevada, which as I understand is basically the same as the 2016 process:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_Democratic_caucuses,_2008#Results

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 12:06:10 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2016, 12:14:26 AM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

I think there's a pill that can help you with that.  Or maybe a 12 step program.

I'm too far gone, friend. First it was just ARG, now it's Gravis, Zogby, Reuters, even Overtime. All of them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 12:13:43 AM »

Will they actually have vote totals or are they stupid like Iowa

They're stupid like Iowa.  Here's an explanation of the 2008 Democratic process in Nevada, which as I understand is basically the same as the 2016 process:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_Democratic_caucuses,_2008#Results

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Even worse, Nevada didn't report by congressional district in 2008, and the estimates of national delegates was wrong, Obama ended up winning them despite losing the state.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 12:14:34 AM »

What are you talking about? We have Gravis and Overtime.

I'm seriously craving some ARG rn. Don't know if they poll Nevada, but the entertainment factor would multiply by ten if they started.

You're in luck, we have a new poll out. The results came in quickly because it's an Undertime Politics poll.

Clinton 49
Sanders 45

Trump 39
Rubio 21
Cruz 14
Bush 9
Carson 6
Kasich 4

How?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 12:26:17 AM »

I'm seriously craving some ARG rn. Don't know if they poll Nevada, but the entertainment factor would multiply by ten if they started.

You're in luck, we have a new poll out. The results came in quickly because it's an Undertime Politics poll.

Clinton 49
Sanders 45

Trump 39
Rubio 21
Cruz 14
Bush 9
Carson 6
Kasich 4

I'd prefer an actual poll as opposed to imaginary numbers.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 12:33:09 AM »

As a followup to my post about the Nevada Democratic caucus process, for the benefit of those of you not following Erc's delegate thread, here's what he says about the process there:

Voter Eligibility

Only registered Democrats may vote in the caucus, though voters may reaffiliate as Democrats on the day.

At the Caucus

Nevada is a caucus state, just like Iowa, and it works in much the same fashion (though one distinction is that those who voted for viable candidates are not allowed to recaucus; this diminishes the possibility of weird tactical voting for Uncommitted).  Each precinct elects some number of delegates to a County Convention.  These are allocated among the candidates receiving 15% support in each precinct (or higher in precincts with a small number of delegates).  As in Iowa, voters supporting a candidate which does not meet the threshold may recaucus to support a different candidate.

The numbers reported to the media at the end of the day will be quite literally the number of delegates to County Conventions won by each candidate.  The apportionment favors the smaller, rural counties over the larger ones--i.e. Clark, Washoe, Carson City, Douglas, Lyon, Nye, and Elko will be slightly underrepresented, though they will obviously still dominate proceedings.  Extremely small precincts are also favored.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 12:34:31 AM »

Clinton 49
Sanders 45

Trump 39
Rubio 21
Cruz 14
Bush 9
Carson 6
Kasich 4

We'd do imaginary numbers, but that would be too complex, so we're keeping it real.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 12:49:58 AM »

Clinton 49
Sanders 45

Trump 39
Rubio 21
Cruz 14
Bush 9
Carson 6
Kasich 4

Clinton 49
Sanders 45

Trump 39
Rubio 21
Cruz 14
Bush 9
Carson 6
Kasich 4

Ya know, Overtime has been... actually pretty good in both of the first two contests, unless you want to kill them for the IA GOP caucus which even Selzer got wrong.  So who the hell knows?  Wasn't PPP a newbie on the scene in 2008, and pretty much torn to shreds around here due to that D next to the name, but turned out to be really good?  Nevada, or any MST state for that matter, isn't nor has ever been what one would call "Clinton-country".  And wouldn't the Dem electorate in NV skew younger?  I don't think 49-45 Clinton is terribly far off from reality.  I'd going to bullish and say it's quite close to reality. 
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 12:53:43 AM »

I think Bernie has a fantastic Nevada operation and will perform very well on caucus day, winning narrowly. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 12:57:52 AM »

Clinton 49
Sanders 45

Trump 39
Rubio 21
Cruz 14
Bush 9
Carson 6
Kasich 4

Clinton 49
Sanders 45

Trump 39
Rubio 21
Cruz 14
Bush 9
Carson 6
Kasich 4

Ya know, Overtime has been... actually pretty good in both of the first two contests, unless you want to kill them for the IA GOP caucus which even Selzer got wrong.  So who the hell knows?  Wasn't PPP a newbie on the scene in 2008, and pretty much torn to shreds around here due to that D next to the name, but turned out to be really good?  Nevada, or any MST state for that matter, isn't nor has ever been what one would call "Clinton-country".  And wouldn't the Dem electorate in NV skew younger?  I don't think 49-45 Clinton is terribly far off from reality.  I'd going to bullish and say it's quite close to reality.  

No, this isn't Overtime. They're too slow. Undertime gets results quick. Real quick.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 12:59:04 AM »

I still haven't seen any evidence that suggests that Overtime is a real pollster.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 01:01:29 AM »

I still haven't seen any evidence that suggests that Overtime is a real pollster.

Do they release crosstabs, methodology, anything? 
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 01:02:50 AM »

NV is a must-win for Sanders, but I think Clinton wins by 8 or so. I think NV will be her comeback state.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »

NV is a must-win for Sanders, but I think Clinton wins by 8 or so. I think NV will be her comeback state.

How many angry women tend to caucus in Nevada?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 01:07:06 AM »

I don't know if it's a must win, but he needs to at least make it pretty close.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 01:07:48 AM »

Idk, probably too many. Tongue Don't think they will be a factor in NV, though.
psychprofessor

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 01:12:04 AM »

This is going to be close - but they will both end up with the same amount of delegates. In 2008, Clinton won the state but Obama gained more delegates.

According to the 2008 entrance poll, the electorate was 80% DEM; 15% IND and 4% REP.

The racial breakdown was 65% white, 15% AA and 15% Hispanic, 5% Asian/Other. I think this is pretty reasonable to assume in 2016 - roughly 2/3 white and 1/3 non-white.

From the last poll from Overtime, Clinton was running 70/30 with AA and 60/40 with Hispanics. That seems reasonable as of now - I think this really depends on whether Sanders makes inroads. I would expect Clinton to hit him on his vote against comp immigration reform and highlight her endorsements from Dreamers. But I think this state can go either way - the caucus procedure is just too funky to predict.
Trapsy

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 01:43:27 AM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 02:32:08 AM »

Idk, probably too many. Tongue Don't think they will be a factor in NV, though.

It won't be the angry women, but the wise Latinas, who will win it for Clinton.
RBH

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 05:41:25 AM »

Clinton 49
Sanders 45

Trump 39
Rubio 21
Cruz 14
Bush 9
Carson 6
Kasich 4

How?

Rubio lived in Nevada for 6 years as a child. So, if he's gonna do well anywhere this month, it should be Nevada.

That being said, Overtime probably isn't real.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 05:49:20 AM »

Clinton 49
Sanders 45

Trump 39
Rubio 21
Cruz 14
Bush 9
Carson 6
Kasich 4

How?

Rubio lived in Nevada for 6 years as a child. So, if he's gonna do well anywhere this month, it should be Nevada.

That being said, Overtime probably isn't real.

jfern's post said Undertime, not Overtime. I'm confident (or at least more than I am in Overtime) that jfern pulled it out of... thin air... as a joke.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 05:54:20 AM »

This is going to be close - but they will both end up with the same amount of delegates. In 2008, Clinton won the state but Obama gained more delegates.

According to the 2008 entrance poll, the electorate was 80% DEM; 15% IND and 4% REP.

The racial breakdown was 65% white, 15% AA and 15% Hispanic, 5% Asian/Other. I think this is pretty reasonable to assume in 2016 - roughly 2/3 white and 1/3 non-white.

From the last poll from Overtime, Clinton was running 70/30 with AA and 60/40 with Hispanics. That seems reasonable as of now - I think this really depends on whether Sanders makes inroads. I would expect Clinton to hit him on his vote against comp immigration reform and highlight her endorsements from Dreamers. But I think this state can go either way - the caucus procedure is just too funky to predict.

Jon Ralston predicts that more than 40% of caucusgoers will be minorities this time, which makes his assertion that the Clinton campaign is in panic mode somewhat mystifying. If indeed there is such a surge in Hispanics and blacks then she will have a relatively easy win.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 06:16:07 AM »

Jon Ralston predicts that more than 40% of caucusgoers will be minorities this time, which makes his assertion that the Clinton campaign is in panic mode somewhat mystifying. If indeed there is such a surge in Hispanics and blacks then she will have a relatively easy win.

There is potentially a decline or status quo with blacks & a surge among Hispanics & ground reports suggests Sanders is doing well with Hispanics especially young Latinos.

I predicted weeks back that Sanders would atleast tie the hispanic votes if he does well in NH & Iowa, it is probably the main reason why Hillary is worried
defe07

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 11:07:15 AM »

I predict either a slight Bernie win or a dead heat a la Iowa. Smiley
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »

At this point, it would only be fair for Sanders to eke out a tiny win so that, going into Super Tuesday, both Clinton and Sanders have a narrow win and a 60%+ win.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies