Would Kasich accept an offer to be TRUMP's running mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:07:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Would Kasich accept an offer to be TRUMP's running mate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Kasich accept an offer to be TRUMP's running mate?  (Read 879 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »

I know, most Kasich supporters don't like the idea at this time. So please forgive me.

But a Trump/Kasich ticket would be, without any question, my favorite. I like them both in different ways. They both have very different personalities and different kinds of experience that appeal to lots of different voter groups. I think it would preserve peace within the party and be a very very strong ticket for the general election. Would Kasich accept such an offer? And might TRUMP really consider to pick the Ohio governor?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:58:33 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking about this a few days ago, and I think TRUMP/Kasich would be a very strong ticket. They seem to have a decent relationship. But I think Kasich said in a recent interview he doesn't want to be VP. Not sure if he really meant it though.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »

If John Kasich ever hopes to be President, he will not turn down a VP offer from anyone. Being the VP nominee has kept Sarah Palin semi-relevant for the better part of a decade, it could only do wonders for someone with a functioning brain.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 03:58:55 PM »

Yes i think he would without question accept as would anyone. This notion that somebody would turn down the chance to be on a national ticket no matter who the candidate is at the top is absurd IMO.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 03:59:40 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking about this a few days ago, and I think TRUMP/Kasich would be a very strong ticket. They seem to have a decent relationship. But I think Kasich said in a recent interview he doesn't want to be VP. Not sure if he really meant it though.

How could he run with a guy who said all those outrageous things? It would be humiliating for Kasich to hook up with such a man.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »

Why are people writing "Trump" in all caps?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 04:01:01 PM »

Here's a very well written article on it from Jan. 16th: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/429877/trump-kasich-2016
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 04:01:11 PM »

He would probably accept, but I'm not sure he would be Trump's first choice.

The concept of TRUMP is too awesome to be contained in puny lower-case letters.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »

He already said he would make a bad Veep. If anyone, he would rather be Rubio. Trump isnt a strong candidate.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 04:03:13 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2016, 04:09:19 PM by Torie »

To annoy his detractors of course.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 04:04:17 PM »

Because they still seem to think that it's funny.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 04:04:38 PM »

How could he run with a guy who said all those outrageous things? It would be humiliating for Kasich to hook up with such a man.

Eh, any small bit of humiliation is worth the opportunity to be a heartbeat (and considering Trump's red meat-dominated diet, not a very strong heartbeat) away from the presidency. I would think.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 04:04:45 PM »

To annoy his detractors or course.
Tell them it's working and they can stop now.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »

To annoy his detractors or course.
Tell them it's working and they can stop now.

They'll just put it in bold/italics/underlined then.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 04:08:42 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2016, 04:11:20 PM by President Johnson »

He would probably accept, but I'm not sure he would be Trump's first choice.

He actually has to pick an establishment guy to preserve party unity. He won't pick either the low-energy ¿Jeb? nor Christie (neighboor state). Rubio is not really establishment and he has no record/experience to promote in the campaign (he would a better running mate for Kasich himself). The other establishment candidates have too little profile (Graham, Pataki). Nikki Haley would be another option, but I'm not sure about that. Kasich dennounced some of The Donald's proposal, but they didn't insult one other yet. So they might develop a working relationship.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 04:09:23 PM »

Kasich is 63 years old, and he will be almost 64.5 years old on election day. If he takes a job as Vice President and somehow Trump got 2 terms, Kasich's aspirations would end after that. He would likely be too old to want to try again (yes, I'm aware of Sanders' age, but not everyone is capable of doing that @ at 74+, nor would some even want to)

So considering how useless the office of the Vice President can be, I wouldn't blame him for thinking it is a waste of his precious, limited time.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 04:09:37 PM »

Eh, any small bit of humiliation is worth the opportunity to be a heartbeat (and considering Trump's red meat-dominated diet, not a very strong heartbeat) away from the presidency. I would think.

And I would think that dishonorable.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 04:16:27 PM »

Kasich is 63 years old, and he will be almost 64.5 years old on election day. If he takes a job as Vice President and somehow Trump got 2 terms, Kasich's aspirations would end after that. He would likely be too old to want to try again (yes, I'm aware of Sanders' age, but not everyone is capable of doing that @ at 74+, nor would some even want to)

So considering how useless the office of the Vice President can be, I wouldn't blame him for thinking it is a waste of his precious, limited time.

Well, Kasich doesn't look like he has any desire to retire. His gubernatorial term expires in January 2019. So what's he doing afterwards?

However, TRUMP will also be 70 if he takes office and we hadn't a succeding vice president for the longest time in US history except the time until John Tyler in 1841. I wish The Donald well, but who knows?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »

Won't happen. How can Kasich talk about his qualifications and record, when Trump is on tape saying "John got lucky with a thing called fracking. That's why Ohio is doing so well"?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 04:52:12 PM »

Won't happen. How can Kasich talk about his qualifications and record, when Trump is on tape saying "John got lucky with a thing called fracking. That's why Ohio is doing so well"?

Why not? The fight between Bush 41 and Reagan was tougher than that (vodoo econmics,...). They haven't really insulted each other yet and Kasich agreed with The Donald when he spoke about China.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 07:32:43 AM »

Republicans in 2012 said the exact same thing to dispel the notion that the success in Ohio was more because of Obama and less because of Kasich. Kasich may have even said it himself. Of course that means little in this day and age.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 08:08:30 AM »

I don't think he'd agree to be vetted for Trump's short list.  For that matter, should Trump be nominated, the list of people who refuse to be vetted for Trump's short list will be rather long.  Most of the "establishment" guys just are not going to want to spends several months talking about how much they love Trump, nor defending whatever outrageous comments he makes.

Plus, most of them don't think Trump can win.  They'll figure that they have a better shot of being president if they avoid Trump, wait for him to lose, and then run again in 2020.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »

I don't think he'd agree to be vetted for Trump's short list.  For that matter, should Trump be nominated, the list of people who refuse to be vetted for Trump's short list will be rather long.  Most of the "establishment" guys just are not going to want to spends several months talking about how much they love Trump, nor defending whatever outrageous comments he makes.

Plus, most of them don't think Trump can win.  They'll figure that they have a better shot of being president if they avoid Trump, wait for him to lose, and then run again in 2020.

I imagine the vetting process for vice president will heavily take into account how sycophantic the potential VP nominee is, just like the show the apprentice.  There's a potential SNL skit somewhere in there...
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 02:44:11 PM »

nobody wants to be on a ticket that will struggle to get 100 electoral votes
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 03:27:59 PM »

It goes against his whole campaign for President. But that wouldn't matter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies