Is Trump a libertarian?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:07:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Trump a libertarian?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Well?
Ya

Nope

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Is Trump a libertarian?  (Read 2874 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »

Does Trump have an ideology? That's open to debate. The only thing I know for sure is that he believes in himself. He is promoting himself rather than a set of ideas. The only thing he is good at is entertaining.   
That isn't what being POTUS is all about.
youngohioan216
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 09:05:46 PM »

Is Ron Paul a neocon? Is the pope Muslim?
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »

Is Trump anything other than narcissistic? Nope, how stupid can a person possibly be??
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »

Eric are you done raging yet?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 09:52:47 PM »

This is basically how you look all the time btw lol
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 09:54:28 PM »

This is basically how you look all the time btw lol

My reasons are legit though, his is mass hysteria for no reason.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 10:00:53 PM »

What would Trump be on the political compass?  Relative to Cruz he'd be like two notches to the left and two notches upward, at like +9 authoritarian, +7 economic?

The only issues he's remotely "libertarian" on socially speaking are gun control, the Iraq War.  Dude is fascist in that he's mostly right wing with a few left wing things like protectionism and healthcare, and extremely nationalist militaristic.  

I mean this is the dude that wants an even bigger military and wants to bomb countries and take their oil, he's hardly a dove.  His big shtick is also that he believes that white American culture is better than everything else, which is not really libertarian.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 10:02:04 PM »

My reasons are legit though, his is mass hysteria for no reason.

You guys are literally saying the same thing though lol
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 11:08:05 PM »

What would Trump be on the political compass?  Relative to Cruz he'd be like two notches to the left and two notches upward, at like +9 authoritarian, +7 economic?

The only issues he's remotely "libertarian" on socially speaking are gun control, the Iraq War.  Dude is fascist in that he's mostly right wing with a few left wing things like protectionism and healthcare, and extremely nationalist militaristic. 

I mean this is the dude that wants an even bigger military and wants to bomb countries and take their oil, he's hardly a dove.  His big shtick is also that he believes that white American culture is better than everything else, which is not really libertarian.

No he said take their oil after we had gotten in, but that we should never have gotten in to begin with. It is not the same as starting a war for oil.

Protectionism is not left-wing historically. It has a hundred plus years of history in the GOP and has historically been associated with the right.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 11:13:56 PM »

What would Trump be on the political compass?  Relative to Cruz he'd be like two notches to the left and two notches upward, at like +9 authoritarian, +7 economic?

The only issues he's remotely "libertarian" on socially speaking are gun control, the Iraq War.  Dude is fascist in that he's mostly right wing with a few left wing things like protectionism and healthcare, and extremely nationalist militaristic. 

I mean this is the dude that wants an even bigger military and wants to bomb countries and take their oil, he's hardly a dove.  His big shtick is also that he believes that white American culture is better than everything else, which is not really libertarian.

No he said take their oil after we had gotten in, but that we should never have gotten in to begin with. It is not the same as starting a war for oil.

Protectionism is not left-wing historically. It has a hundred plus years of history in the GOP and has historically been associated with the right.

Sure, but on things like the political matrix you definitely get left wing points because it is a decidedly anti-free market policy.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 11:18:05 PM »

Sure, but on things like the political matrix you definitely get left wing points because it is a decidedly anti-free market policy.

I took the quiz and answered the questions the way Donald Trump would. Here were my results:
Economic score: +0.26
Social score: +6.26
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 11:35:43 PM »

Conservatism is not libertarianism. The whole notion of an embrace of smaller government by Conservatism is a Progressive Era reaction to the growth in gov't as people began to find it inconvenient, their you had a newborn conservative. Whether it is a taxed business or a guy whose farm got regulated by a gov't agency, or an oil well that got shut down for not meeting EPA standards.

Conservatism has historically been associated with strengthening the country (Northern) or cultural preservationism (Southern). Neither were too concerned with government until it got up in their grill (I also have issues with assigning any ideological label to the latter group since their politics were so incoherent and inconsistent by necessity, but I will set that aside for right now). Trump appeals to both, but on the military and economy it is decidely of that northern, Hamiltonian approach. Strong military and Economy in the face of foreign competitors. And you see that on issues like trade, eminent domain and so forth. That is why it is not quite accurate to use the term Paleocon because a large number of them are anti-growth and anti-development coming from that more Southern heritage, whereas Trump gets aroused by big buildings and big factories.

With the rise of the sunbelt GOP and the success of people like Reagan, you had an embrace of free trade and immigration because the business interests of the sunbelt (like everywhere, were those first to support the party) preferred those policies.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 11:40:09 PM »

I took the quiz and answered the questions the way Donald Trump would. Here were my results:

Isn't that what MasterJedi's score used to be?

We once had a fascist on here whose score was like 0.25 and 0.54. Horshoe theory, much?

Mine was +4, +3 and that was with supporting a minimum wage hike and heavy regulations on banks.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 11:40:31 PM »

Conservatism is not libertarianism. The whole notion of an embrace of smaller government by Conservatism is a Progressive Era reaction to the growth in gov't as people began to find it inconvenient, their you had a newborn conservative. Whether it is a taxed business or a guy whose farm got regulated by a gov't agency, or an oil well that got shut down for not meeting EPA standards.

Conservatism has historically been associated with strengthening the country (Northern) or cultural preservationism (Southern). Neither were too concerned with government until it got up in their grill (I also have issues with assigning any ideological label to the latter group since their politics were so incoherent and inconsistent by necessity, but I will set that aside for right now). Trump appeals to both, but on the military and economy it is decidely of that northern, Hamiltonian approach. Strong military and Economy in the face of foreign competitors. And you see that on issues like trade, eminent domain and so forth. That is why it is not quite accurate to use the term Paleocon because a large number of them are anti-growth and anti-development coming from that more Southern heritage, whereas Trump gets aroused by big buildings and big factories.

With the rise of the sunbelt GOP and the success of people like Reagan, you had an embrace of free trade and immigration because the business interests of the sunbelt (like everywhere, were those first to support the party) preferred those policies.

Yeah, well, I don't disagree with anything that you said and you described several strains of ideology in America typically called "conservative" quite well.  If I had used the word "conservative" than what you said would be relevant.  I said "right-wing," which mostly has an economic connotation and can like you said can be libertarian or authoritarian.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 11:43:53 PM »

Yeah, well, I don't disagree with anything that you said and you described several strains of ideology in America typically called "conservative" quite well.  If I had used the word "conservative" than what you said would be relevant.  I said "right-wing," which mostly has an economic connotation and can like you said can be libertarian or authoritarian.

Not really, because the biggest fish that the right wing umbrella brings in is fascism. Conservatism is more free market then some of the strains of right wingery.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 11:44:54 PM »

No; Trump is farther to the left economically than he is socially.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 11:45:30 PM »

Conservatism also has an application model or method bearing its name that brings with it a degree of restrain and legalism, that is also not implied or fundamental if someone is just right wing.

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2016, 12:35:08 AM »

Interesting. I took the quiz too and answered the questions the way TRUMP would. Here are my results:
Economic score: -0.32
Social score: +0.61

I think you didn't answer all questions the way TRUMP would.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2016, 12:37:41 AM »

No; Trump is farther to the left economically than he is socially.

Exactly, but not too far left.
As you can see from my score which I got answering the questions in the way TRUMP would, he is clearly a moderate (slightly left economically and slightly right socially).
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2016, 12:39:52 AM »

He's not, but he draws a lot of his support from those who supported Ron Paul in 2012.

Absolutely true. I was a Ron Paul supporter, but ended up being a Romney supporter. Now, I am a TRUMP supporter. True libertarian, that's my name.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2016, 01:35:45 AM »

I got this for Trump:
Economic score: -0.45
Social score: +2.52
Your score pegs you as economically centrist and socially center-authoritarian.

He's quite vague a lot of the time, so that may explain the huge  differences
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2016, 01:38:25 AM »

I got this for Trump:
Economic score: -0.45
Social score: +2.52
Your score pegs you as economically centrist and socially center-authoritarian.

He's quite vague a lot of the time, so that may explain the YUGE differences

Fixed. Smiley
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2016, 04:38:47 AM »

No. You can tell he's not a libertarian because he's ahead in the polls.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2016, 08:46:10 AM »

Does Trump have an ideology? That's open to debate. The only thing I know for sure is that he believes in himself. He is promoting himself rather than a set of ideas. The only thing he is good at is entertaining.   
That isn't what being POTUS is all about.
^ This, exactly.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:05 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2016, 09:59:05 AM by RR1997 »

It looks we have some disagreements on what Trump's PM score would be.
This is how I think Trump would answer the questions:

1. The right to individual autonomy is important, even if it threatens collective security.
Trump's answer: Disagree
He called people who complain about free speech 'foolish' when proposing 'closing down the Internet'.

2. The government should penalize organizations that practice outsourcing.
Trump's answer: Agree
He's a pretty standard protectionist.

3. Giving faith-based charities the same government resources as secular organizations is a good idea.
Trump's answer: Neutral
He's never commented on this issue before and it's idiot to just assume what position he'd take.

4. We should increase foreign aid to countries struggling with poverty.
He wants to cut foreign aid.

5. We should increase funding for education.

6. Heterosexual couples should receive higher marital recognition than same-sex couples.

7. Overall, free trade hurts more than it helps.

8. We should reduce the number of government programs substantially.
Trump's answer: Usually disagree

9. Abortion should be illegal or very heavily restricted.

10. The government should fund museums, theaters, and other cultural institutions that are unable to survive independently.
Trump's answer: Neutral

11. The government should subsidize health insurance for those who cannot easily afford it.
Trump's answer: Usually agree

12. The government should work to reduce children's exposure to offensive radio and television content.
His whole compaign is based around ending political correctness

13. It is unfair that wealthier people pay higher tax rates.
Trump's answer: Usually disagree
His plan does include raising capital gains tax for the rich, but it also includes deeply cutting income taxes for the rich too. He also claimed that it's a good thing that the wealthy pay more in taxes than other classes. Usually disagree is the most appropriate answer here. I could also choose usually agree if you guys want me to.

14. The minimum wage should be raised.
Trump's answer: Usally agree

15. Marijuana should be legalized.

16. Society focuses too much on forcing equality at the expense of real merit.

17. Violating individual rights is acceptable when it comes to fighting terrorism.
For the same reasons as I mentioned on number 1

18. Current levels of government regulation on industry are excessive.

19. The government should provide basic needs for all people.

20. The death penalty should be an option for serious crimes.

21. We should reduce the difficulty of immigration.

22. Union workers should be protected against being fired during strikes.
He expressed support for this back in 2000, and he hasn't commented on it since, so I chose usually agree.

23. Prostitution should be legalized.

24. Flag burning should be banned.
He recently expressed support for banning flag burning

25. I support affirmative action.
Yes, he supports AA. He stated a couple of months ago that he's 'fine' with AA. He also criticized Scalia for her anti-AA comments. He called those comments 'racist'.

26. The government should impose tariffs to protect industries from foreign competition.

27. Physician-assisted suicide should be legal if the patient is capable of informed, rational consent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies