Generation Z begins to vote in 2020... how will that change things?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:22:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Generation Z begins to vote in 2020... how will that change things?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Generation Z begins to vote in 2020... how will that change things?  (Read 15073 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »

The oldest of Generation Z, those born in 2001 and later, will be able to vote in the next presidential election.

There's already been some academic research talking about tensions between Generation Y and Generation Z and the different values and backgrounds they have. I could post a summary of one I received at work later.

Having a childhood in the relative peace/prosperity/optimism of the 80's/90's versus having a childhood during the War on Terror, Katrina, Financial Crash, and being told they won't have things as well as their parents, using smart phones practically since they were in kindergarten, etc.

What do you think the impact of their generation will be?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:29 PM »

As a Gen. Z-er, I can confirm that it will be horrifying.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:31:30 PM »

Maybe better than the Millennial generation (Y).
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:49:32 PM »

I could post a summary of one I received at work later.

Could you? I'm rather interested.

Can't say for sure since I don't really know what their views are. If I had to guess, though, maybe they will be more Republican due to growing up under the weight of the Great Recession with a Democratic president to blame.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:50:51 PM »

Most Gen. Z-ers I know pay very little to no attention to politics. The ones who do are mostly center to center-left, with a few exceptions.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 11:56:34 PM »

Most Gen. Z-ers I know pay very little to no attention to politics. The ones who do are mostly center to center-left, with a few exceptions.

Well, given their age I didn't expect them too, but rather that people tend to associate the good times and bad, and their/their family's well-being with the top dog of the country. High school years would be the most formative for political views, I think, so there is a chance they might not see things so badly. However, given everything that has happened, it's probably still likely that they might lean more Republican, or at least 50/50, even if their views don't quite match up with the party. It really depends on how they see the US and what role they perceive Democrats as having in the current status of the country.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 12:46:55 AM »

The electorate will continue to get more racially diverse and older as the last of the Silent Generation is replaced by the smaller and more diverse Z people.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 01:56:54 AM »

Could you elaborate? I have this nagging fear that the politics of Generation  Z will be defined by Tumblr-type SJWs vs increasingly openly racist Alt Right types, though the meteoric rise and popularity of Bernie Sanders with our nation's youth gives me hope that an actual Left-Wing Movement that prioritizes building a social safety net and reducing the inequality brought on by globalization may yet emerge.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 02:38:19 AM »

June 16, 2020:

The White House Chief of Staff walks into the oval office and says in a grating voice, "President Trump, what do you say about the youngest voters' energy level?"

President Trump: It's...

Considering what comes afterwards, probably bring the apocalpyse.

cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 04:32:17 AM »

Could you elaborate? I have this nagging fear that the politics of Generation  Z will be defined by Tumblr-type SJWs vs increasingly openly racist Alt Right types, though the meteoric rise and popularity of Bernie Sanders with our nation's youth gives me hope that an actual Left-Wing Movement that prioritizes building a social safety net and reducing the inequality brought on by globalization may yet emerge.

More than half of my age group has already decided that it's funny to support Deez Nuts in 2016 and Kanye West in 2020. There are some moderates, but the moderate ones tend to be less politically involved. As for your fear, don't worry about it. I've never met any SJWs, and although there are a few alt-right people who probably spend a bit too much time on r/theredpill, I seriously doubt they'll continue to hold said views.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 06:20:20 AM »

More than half of my age group has already decided that it's funny to support Deez Nuts in 2016 and Kanye West in 2020. There are some moderates, but the moderate ones tend to be less politically involved. As for your fear, don't worry about it. I've never met any SJWs, and although there are a few alt-right people who probably spend a bit too much time on r/theredpill, I seriously doubt they'll continue to hold said views.

That's called being a teenager. Kids were the same way when I was in high school.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »

The electorate will continue to get more racially diverse and older as the last of the Silent Generation is replaced by the smaller and more diverse Z people.

This is probably the most important fact about them, and the only one we can really use to make guesses about their politics.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2016, 04:56:38 PM by Blue3 »

I could post a summary of one I received at work later.

Could you? I'm rather interested.

Can't say for sure since I don't really know what their views are. If I had to guess, though, maybe they will be more Republican due to growing up under the weight of the Great Recession with a Democratic president to blame.
This is from the "generational trends" section of a training I had on community engagement at work. It has the same format for previous generations too, but I'll just focus on the last two.

Millennials, Generation Y, Echo Boomers
1981-2000
The Millennials at the fastest growing segment of today's workforce.

Tech Savvy: Millennials are plugged-in 24/7. This generations prefers to communicate through email and text messaging rather than face-to-face contact and prefers webinars and online technology to traditional lecture-based presentations.

Family-Centric: The fast-track has lost much of its appeal for Millennials who are willing to trade high pay for fewer hours, flexible schedules, and a better work/life balance.

Achievement-Oriented: Millennials are confident, ambitious, and achievement-oriented. They have high expectations of their employers, seek out new challenges and are not afraid to question authority. They want meaningful work and a solid learning curve.

Team-Oriented:
Part of a no-person-left-behind generation, they are loyal, committed and want to be included and involved. They may benefit from mentors who can help guide and develop their careers.

Generation Z, Net Generation, Digital Natives
2001-present
This tech-savvy, multiethnic generation has grown up entirely in the post-Cold War world.

Highly Connected: Members of Generation Z have never known a world without the Internet, cell phones/smartphones, MP3 players, text messaging, and other communication and media technologies.

Diverse: Generation Z's ethnic composition is the most diverse of any generation in America: 54% Caucasian, 24% Hispanic, 14% African-American, 4% Asian, and 4% mixed race/other. They welcome and celebrate this diversity.

Lowered Economic Expectations: With the lingering effects of the Great Recession, Generation Z is the first generation expected to earn less than their parents. However, having gone through such difficult economic times, they have developed a sense of social justice, philanthropy, and maturity, and are more likely to pursue careers they think will help society.

Empowered:
The combination of the independence gained from powerful, mobile technology and the constant sense of affirmation from their parents has produced a sense of entitlement in Generation Z that can be seen as a double-edged sword. They have the resources and initiative to make positive changes where they see the need, but may not have the experience with the failure necessary to know what it takes to persevere.

It also has a similar format for other generations, I just took the pictures in case anyone is interested:

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 05:05:33 PM »

This is probably the most important fact about them, and the only one we can really use to make guesses about their politics.

The interracial vote? It's probably with a slight Republican tilt in Generation Z. That's the only thing I can see in my generation. I'd like to note the first Generation Z politicians could become President in 2037.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 07:06:14 PM »

The interracial vote? It's probably with a slight Republican tilt in Generation Z. That's the only thing I can see in my generation.

No
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »

They aren't as large as the Millennials and thus won't have as large of an influence.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 07:59:11 PM »

They aren't as large as the Millennials and thus won't have as large of an influence.
The count of US births (not the birth rate) didn't peak till 2007, so there may be more Gen Z influence, just as the previous baby boom didn't peak until 1957 giving more early Gen-Xers (born 1961-64) than early baby boomers (born 1947-50).
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 12:54:31 PM »

I'm in generation Z. Here's are some paraphrased things people at my high school have said (or posted on Facebook)
"Say no to Trump."
"Deez Nuts for president."
"Like if you support Trump."
"Bernie Sanders will win."
"Sanders isn't going to win."
"Sanders seems more logical than Clinton."
"Bernie Sanders for president."
"Clinton is an ugly liar."
"I liked Carson until he turned out to be crazy."
"Both parties are corrupt."
"How can you not believe in global warming?"
"Marijuana should be legalized."
"Republicans are too obviously religious."
"Obamacare's a train wreck."
"Obama's the reason my dad doesn't have a job. That's what he says."
"My parent like Donald Trump. I trust their judgement."
"I like some of Trump's ideas."
"Why are you all talking about politics? We're not even old enough to vote."
James Monroe

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »

The count of US births (not the birth rate) didn't peak till 2007, so there may be more Gen Z influence, just as the previous baby boom didn't peak until 1957 giving more early Gen-Xers (born 1961-64) than early baby boomers (born 1947-50).
1961-1964 is late boomer territory.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 05:51:03 PM »

I assume that Generation Z will be mostly Democratic because this group is more ethnically diverse than the last one.

I could also see this group being moderately more Republican than Millennials (but still overwhelmingly Democratic overall) because these people were too young to remember Bush, so they'll hate GOPers significantly less.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 06:03:14 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2016, 06:25:25 PM by RR1997 »

The fact that you live in MA is  probably a factor as to why most of your peers are center-left.

This is why I'm excited for the 2020/2024/2028 elections. I can't wait to see how Generation Z votes. I'm going to stick with my prediction that Generation Z will still be overwhelmingly Democratic, but moderately less so than Millennials (since they're too young to remember Bush, so they'll hate the GOP less).

Someone should bump this in 2028 or so to see if our predictions are correct Tongue
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »

We don't know what the birth rate will be like in the next few years, and we don't know when the media will declare that Gen Z is over (presumably in the next few years).
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »

They (we) grew up under Dubya. Most Z-ers I know are leftist, but that's probably just to do with my location/background
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 11:46:29 AM »

No you didn't.  Even going by the most liberal definition, the oldest Z people were born in the late 90's, and would have about as much memory of the Bush administration as I do of Clinton, i.e. very little in the way of anything substantial.  The Obama and TRUMP (or Hillary) Presidencies are likely to have a much bigger influence on the voting habits and attitudes of Generation Z.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 08:17:46 PM »

I assume that Generation Z will be mostly Democratic because this group is more ethnically diverse than the last one.

I could also see this group being moderately more Republican than Millennials (but still overwhelmingly Democratic overall) because these people were too young to remember Bush, so they'll hate GOPers significantly less.

What do you define as "overwhelmingly Democratic"?  In 2012, millenials (age 18-29) voted 60-37.  I don't consider anything less than a 20-point margin to truly be overwhelming.  Do you think Gen Z will be 55-45, or 58-42, etc.?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies