Generation Z begins to vote in 2020... how will that change things? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:44:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Generation Z begins to vote in 2020... how will that change things? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Generation Z begins to vote in 2020... how will that change things?  (Read 15096 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 02, 2017, 06:38:17 PM »

1. The absolute earliest that this generation will be defined as down the line will be the year 2000. 96ers and others like myself are definitely not members of Generation Z.

2. If Millenials are similar to the GI generation (born roughly 1905-1927) in that we came of age and entered the workforce in a post financial crisis economy and vote more strongly for the Democratic Party as a result of that then Generation Z will be similar to the Silent Generation. Like them, they came of age just slightly too young to navigate through the worst that a post financial crisis economy had to offer. The Silent Generation was second only to GI's in their strong support for the Democratic Party so I would expect Generation Z to be more closely aligned with the Democratic Party, but not quite as strongly as millennials.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 07:09:42 PM »

1. The absolute earliest that this generation will be defined as down the line will be the year 2000. 96ers and others like myself are definitely not members of Generation Z.
Gallup, among many others, disagrees.

I've been called a millennial my whole life. All of my friends (born in 96' or 97' usually) have been called millennials. We all remember the sh**t show that was George Bush, we came of age during the Obama administration, and as a result almost all of us are liberals in one form or another. We're just as liberal as our older siblings born in the 1980's and there's no reason to think we're any different. I share a lot in common with my 32 year old brother and there's no single event that separates us.

As for the start date, there's no agreed upon start date. But plenty of sources say 2000-onwards.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »

I've been called a millennial my whole life. All of my friends (born in 96' or 97' usually) have been called millennials. We all remember the sh**t show that was George Bush, we came of age during the Obama administration, and as a result almost all of us are liberals in one form or another. We're just as liberal as our older siblings born in the 1980's and there's no reason to think we're any different. I share a lot in common with my 32 year old brother and there's no single event that separates us.

As for the start date, there's no agreed upon start date. But plenty of sources say 2000-onwards.
Being a Millennial isn't about being born near the millennium, it's about December 31st, 1999 being a defining moment in your life time. Similarly, being a member of Gen Z/the iGeneration is about coming up with smart devices and being a "neo-digital native." A lot of people are wrong, but that doesn't make them right.

9/11 was a far far more important event than people getting excessively hammered on one New Years Eve. Same goes for the Iraq war or the 2008 financial crisis.

Also by your logic even some elderly people who lived long enough to survive into the next century would consider that a defining moment in their lives. So how's that a cutoff?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »

Being a Millennial isn't about being born near the millennium, it's about December 31st, 1999 being a defining moment in your life time. Similarly, being a member of Gen Z/the iGeneration is about coming up with smart devices and being a "neo-digital native." A lot of people are wrong, but that doesn't make them right.
9/11 was a far far more important event than people getting excessively hammered on one New Years Eve. Same goes for the Iraq war or the 2008 financial crisis.

Also by your logic even some elderly people who lived long enough to survive into the next century would consider that a defining moment in their lives. So how's that a cutoff?

This is why you aren't a Millennial.

Amend the statement to early life. Still stands. Gallup got around to defining Millennial/Gen Z before the Census Bureau, and their definition makes more sense.

Yes I am a millennial and the overwhelming majority of my peers call themselves that. One polling agency ain't gonna convince the millions of people my age to change their minds. Why are you so fixated on Gallup?

Hell I could claim that generation Z doesn't start til 2005 because the authors of the infamous 1991 book "Generations" coined the term millennials and defined them as being born from 1982-2004. Given that their work largely influenced the names of certain generations they would certainly have more credibility than one polling agency.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »

I don't want to quote and all but aside to Virginia: the college educated vote will rise in this country as a neccesity of the economic trends thus accelerating Democratic gains. See Georgia, which is 50-50 college educated / non.

I think the reason why we're seeing a fairly strong conservative streak in Gen Z (when compared to millennials; not the general populace) is because virtually none of them have gone to college yet.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies