Who won Bush vs. Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who won Bush vs. Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Bush

Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Who won Bush vs. Trump  (Read 4318 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »

Bush looks mad
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 09:32:13 PM »

Jeb is a mess
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:38:58 PM »

They both lost.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:39:20 PM »

LOL. Trump just got destroyed.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:39:39 PM »

Definitely Jeb. Republicans will not like Trump's argument that Bush is responsible for 9/11
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 09:39:54 PM »

Neither.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 09:51:24 PM »

This, but it is unclear whether it will have been worth it.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 09:53:43 PM »

Hard to say... may be 51-49 (Trump over Bush).
SC is still Bush country as evidence by the crowd tonight, but we'll know better this time next week...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »

TRUMP gave the now energy guy hell.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »

The nasty squabbling between the two, did neither any good. And Jeb! complaining about attacks on his family, made him seem like he was using his family as a shield. He can't seem to convey that he is his own man.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »

IMO Trump looked very stupid in the exchange & Jeb actually did well considering he had no leg to stand & should have been decimated. But then Jeb is not that good & low energy so who knows!

I don't see Trump gaining anything positive out of this

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 12:48:18 PM »

I was 13 years old when 9/11 and the aftermath occurred. Anybody who was there knows that the country was so shocked, so rallied to the President, that nothing Donald Trump said makes any sense. Bush was a new President faced with the biggest crisis since Pearl Harbor and he delivered. You saw it in his historic making approval ratings which held above 70% into late 2003. You saw it with the country rallying to his side.

Never...never did anyone come out on 9/12/2001 and say "It's Bush's fault". In fact, while neither President was really blamed, it became more of an off-color discussion about the foreign policy failures of Bill Clinton than George W. Bush. Remember the distasteful humor "Clinton was busy with Monica while OBL was planning 9/11". The attacks were planned for 5 1/2 years. Bush was only President seven months of them. The hijackers were in his country flight training before Election 2000.

So when Trump uses that 9/11 happened on Bush's watch thing, he's stepping into territory even liberals didn't go into.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 12:49:51 PM »

I was 13 years old when 9/11 and the aftermath occurred. Anybody who was there knows that the country was so shocked, so rallied to the President, that nothing Donald Trump said makes any sense. Bush was a new President faced with the biggest crisis since Pearl Harbor and he delivered. You saw it in his historic making approval ratings which held above 70% into late 2003. You saw it with the country rallying to his side.

Never...never did anyone come out on 9/12/2001 and say "It's Bush's fault". In fact, while neither President was really blamed, it became more of an off-color discussion about the foreign policy failures of Bill Clinton than George W. Bush. Remember the distasteful humor "Clinton was busy with Monica while OBL was planning 9/11". The attacks were planned for 5 1/2 years. Bush was only President seven months of them. The hijackers were in his country flight training before Election 2000.

So when Trump uses that 9/11 happened on Bush's watch thing, he's stepping into territory even liberals didn't go into.
^truth
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »

Conventional wisdom would have Bush as a winner but once you take into account past debates and body language, I would give this one narrowly to Trump.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »

Trump's response is right when you take into account that Jeb's argument is "my brother kept us safe." Sorry, but when the biggest attack on the US mainland occurs under the watch of your brother, it's pretty difficult to claim that he kept anyone safe. Doesn't mean Dubya is (primarily) responsible for 9/11 just that he didn't exactly do a particularly good job on that front.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 12:56:19 PM »

Trump basically flew two metaphorical aeroplanes into Jeb and his brother.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »

Trump's response is right when you take into account that Jeb's argument is "my brother kept us safe." Sorry, but when the biggest attack on the US mainland occurs under the watch of your brother, it's pretty difficult to claim that he kept anyone safe. Doesn't mean Dubya is (primarily) responsible for 9/11 just that he didn't exactly do a particularly good job on that front.

It was always an after-9/11 safeness. During the 2004 campaign it was that Bush is "keeping us safe". To be honest, no attacks happened on Bush's watch following 9/11.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 01:02:31 PM »

Conventional wisdom would have Bush as a winner but once you take into account past debates and body language, I would give this one narrowly to Trump.

I do have to admit I laughed when Bush said, "This is the same guy who gets his foreign policy experience from 'the shows'". That was a good line.
Angel of Death
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »

It was always an after-9/11 safeness. During the 2004 campaign it was that Bush is "keeping us safe". To be honest, no attacks happened on Bush's watch following 9/11.

Which is also a lie, but enjoy your bubble.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »

Trump helped himself by helping Bush, who could be knocked out by a poor South Carolina performance. That said, I don't think it's some brilliant strategic maneuver by Trump. I think Trump is more of an instant gratification candidate who tries to look strong by attacking the weakest, most vulnerable member of the establishment herd, but in doing so, might get lucky, by driving mainstreamers to rally to W's defense which will leverage his campaigning for Jeb next week and give him a shot at topping Kasich and Rubio. I think Trump bumbled his way to a smart strategy.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 02:55:50 PM »

Trump helped himself by helping Bush, who could be knocked out by a poor South Carolina performance. That said, I don't think it's some brilliant strategic maneuver by Trump. I think Trump is more of an instant gratification candidate who tries to look strong by attacking the weakest, most vulnerable member of the establishment herd, but in doing so, might get lucky, by driving mainstreamers to rally to W's defense which will leverage his campaigning for Jeb next week and give him a shot at topping Kasich and Rubio. I think Trump bumbled his way to a smart strategy.

Folks will vote for Jeb for the sole reason they thought Trump went too far in embracing left wing kookery about Dubya, so they will vote for Jeb to affirm Dubya?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 02:57:58 PM »

Trump demolished Bush. But he sounded like Michael Moore in the process. South Carolina's conservative base will punish him accordingly.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 03:01:50 PM »

Folks will vote for Jeb for the sole reason they thought Trump went too far in embracing left wing kookery about Dubya, so they will vote for Jeb to affirm Dubya?

Exactly. It'll make mainstream voters feel that old, familiar feeling about W. It'll be like the mirror image of Hillary using Sanders's past criticisms of Obama and partisans' protectiveness of him to her advantage.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 03:10:54 PM »

The nasty squabbling between the two, did neither any good. And Jeb! complaining about attacks on his family, made him seem like he was using his family as a shield. He can't seem to convey that he is his own man.

I was thinking the same thing.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 03:21:31 PM »

Well never, never did anyone come out on 9/12/2001 and say "Thank you Bush for keeping us safe under your watch. You are doing a great job. Oh and this little incident that happened yesterday where only 3,000 died .... don't worry about it .... it was nothing really .... no really."

You say : Remember the distasteful humor "Clinton was busy with Monica while OBL was planning 9/11." No I don't remember that.
That's silly. Sounds like you have been watching too much nutty Fox News commentary.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies