If Democrats became the pro-life party, and Republicans became the pro-choice...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:08:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If Democrats became the pro-life party, and Republicans became the pro-choice...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If Democrats became the pro-life party, and Republicans became the pro-choice...  (Read 2206 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 05:40:15 PM »

Far from hard to imagine. In the 1950's in Connecticut, it was Prescott Bush running as the candidate of Planned Parenthood, and Nelson Rockefeller was the New York Governor to push for abortion legalization in, what, 1970? In 1976, while Carter was obviously pro-choice, he had a certain benefit from running against a pro-choice, Yankee, Washington insider. To my knowledge, Republicans on the East Coast were early-ish supporters of abortion for reasons related to immigrant populations. It's not hard to imagine a modern-day Wall Street, bourgeois party that eschews "troglodytic" beliefs like a large welfare state or abortion restrictions. What RINO Tom refers to as "natural" is not in the conservative sense--my perspective, anyway--but in the sense of the GOP now representing the zenith of liberalism: atomization of the populace, triumph of individualism, secularization, and so on.

As much as it would pain me to separate from GOP icons like Nixon, it's relatively easy to see myself as a Democrat in this version of events.

In a scenario like this, I'd be independent or still GOP. There would still be a pro-life faction in the party led by folks like Ron/Rand Paul.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 03:20:04 PM »

I'd change from unenthusiastic GOP to unenthusiastic Dem Squinting

It would cause some interesting results in the socon world assuming the parties somehow stayed the same on other issues. It would be interesting to see how many Evangelicals would jump solely on abortion issues.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 03:37:18 PM »

With a PoD before 1980, I don't find it hard to imagine a modern-day general election between Hillary Rodham (R-IL) and Mike Huckabee (D-AR).* George H.W. Bush would be a well-regarded President who oversaw the economic resurgence of the 1980's and the late President Casey would be fondly remembered despite his budget deficits.

*With a PoD after 1980, I could still see Huckabee as a Democrat, though Hillary might be stuck in the same party as him by that point.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies