Opinion of unironic TRUMP supporters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:21:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of unironic TRUMP supporters?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom fighters

Horrible people

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Opinion of unironic TRUMP supporters?  (Read 4468 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »

A lot of them don't even know his position on the issues, they just want him because he'll build a wall and he tells it like it is.

That's a better reason than he's a christian, I'm a christian, he talks about christian things, guess I'm voting for him, which is a huge part of the GOP.

Okay?  And a huge part of the Democratic Party is "I'm poor, life isn't fair, I'm voting for the party that gives me free sh*t."  If you're going to disparage large groups of each party's loyal voters (which only seems to be acceptable when a Democrat does it), you're going to get into some really nasty, impolite territory.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 03:22:19 PM »

Sanchez's post is....wow.  I never thought I'd agree with a Stormfronter lol
I do good? I DO GOOD!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »

Amen Sanchez! On top that, all these morons think Trump won't be able to govern, which is outright absurd considering that's what he's been doing all his life on a larger scale than the only other serious executive John Kasich,

Oh, so you're one of those idiots who think running a business has anything to do with governing a country. Good to know.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »

I never thought I'd agree with a Stormfronter lol

Why so surprised? You already support a racist bigot for President.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »

Amen Sanchez! On top that, all these morons think Trump won't be able to govern, which is outright absurd considering that's what he's been doing all his life on a larger scale than the only other serious executive John Kasich,

Oh, so you're one of those idiots who think running a business has anything to do with governing a country. Good to know.
You've been really sassy lately.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 04:03:12 PM »

Absolutely not Tony, but management is management. I'm not asking him to run the country like a business. I'm asking for someone who knows how to lead and make good decisions, which he has a genuinely great ability to do. He will have seriously good advisors. You've become substantially more disrespectful since you quit AAD, which I defended you until the end on.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2016, 04:03:22 PM »

You've been really sassy lately.

Guess that's what all this Trump obscenity does to me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 04:04:51 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2016, 04:06:32 PM by Californian Tony Returns »

Absolutely not Tony, but management is management. I'm not asking him to run the country like a business. I'm asking for someone who knows how to lead. You've become substantially more disrespectful since you quit AAD, which I defended you until the end on.

This has nothing to do with AAD (well, aside from the fact that it's the main base of the Trumpsters, which of course is not surprising at all). There were a lot of posters I used to respect a lot despite disagreeing with on AAD (Lief, to cite one), but Trump support is a dealbreaker.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 04:09:37 PM »

What unironic Trump supporters?  I honestly don't know of any on this forum.  I automatically assume that most pro-Trump comments on here are simply feeding into the satire of the whole thing.

"I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them."
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »

Absolutely not Tony, but management is management. I'm not asking him to run the country like a business. I'm asking for someone who knows how to lead. You've become substantially more disrespectful since you quit AAD, which I defended you until the end on.

This has nothing to do with AAD (well, aside from the fact that it's the main base of the Trumpsters, which of course is not surprising at all). There were a lot of posters I used to respect a lot despite disagreeing with on AAD (Lief, to cite one), but Trump support is a dealbreaker.

That's a shame since I'm ideologically closer to you than half the red avatars on here, but oh well. Maybe someday I'll receive an olive branch, bit I'll wait 8 years if I must.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »

What unironic Trump supporters?  I honestly don't know of any on this forum.  I automatically assume that most pro-Trump comments on here are simply feeding into the satire of the whole thing.

"I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them."

Oh I've met a few Trump supporters IRL already, and as expected their rationales were littered with factual inaccuracies and some thinly veiled racism.  I would expect to run into at least a few supporters of the GOP front runner.  But on this forum every single pro-Trump post I've read has been some form of trolling, mostly from Democrats.  And of course I get that though; the fact that he's on track to win the nomination is f[inks]ing hilarious!
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2016, 01:24:07 PM by traininthedistance »

I don't go in for the ironic Trump business myself, but it's defensible from a "ratf*ing" strategic stance, much like McCaskill's glorious work in promoting Todd Akin.

And he is, completely sincerely, better than Ted Cruz.  That man is the absolute worst.

But, at this point, it's probably moot.  He lost himself the nomination by pointing out that Bush was president on 9/11 and defending Planned Parenthood at the last debate. Tongue
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 12:49:27 PM »

I don't go in for the ironic Trump business myself, but it's defensible from a "rating" strategic stance, much like McCaskill's glorious work in promoting Todd Akin.

And he is, completely sincerely, better than Ted Cruz.  That man is the absolute worst.

But, at this point, it's probably moot.  He lost himself the nomination by pointing out that Bush was president on 9/11 and defending Planned Parenthood at the last debate. Tongue

I hope you're right, but we're seeing some minimal movement in the polling data in South Carolina (maybe Trump +18-20 down to Trump +10-12), but it seems hard to envision enough blunting to his momentum at this point.  What do you think will happen come Super Tuesday?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »

It's obvious to anyone with a brain that he's superior to Cruz (and Carson). The courageous thing is to point out that he's objectively better than Rubio, and more than likely better than Bush.

If someone wants to make a case for Kasich being better, then I suppose there is an opening for that argument, but I don't buy it. His policies would set us back decades from my perspective, but I suppose some might find him competent, capable or reasonable unlike the other 4.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2016, 01:04:25 PM by traininthedistance »

It's obvious to anyone with a brain that he's superior to Cruz (and Carson). The courageous thing is to point out that he's objectively better than Rubio, and more than likely better than Bush.

If someone wants to make a case for Kasich being better, then I suppose there is an opening for that argument, but I don't buy it. His policies would set us back decades from my perspective, but I suppose some might find him competent, capable or reasonable unlike the other 4.

Kasich is probably "better," but if you take a look at his record in Ohio it's obvious that his schtick of running as the Reasonable Adult Moderate is a facade and he's been quite effective at pushing a right-wing agenda through.  I'm honestly not sure which of the two I'd prefer to get the nomination; Trump is the risky choice for sure but there's a real argument in his favor, mostly on electability grounds but also because he's not a reliable conservative.  Best of all at this point would be Jeb Bush, but unfortunately the Republicans have figured that out. Tongue

I hope you're right, but we're seeing some minimal movement in the polling data in South Carolina (maybe Trump +18-20 down to Trump +10-12), but it seems hard to envision enough blunting to his momentum at this point.  What do you think will happen come Super Tuesday?

I was being somewhat flip.  But it has hurt him.

Before that debate, it was looking like Trump's vaunted "ceiling" was illusory and he could push over 50 percent.  Now, I think that ceiling has been re-established and he loses if it gets to a one-on-one with, most likely, Rubio.  The open question is, will it get to that one-on-one in time?  Anyone who says that they know one way or the other is lying, I think.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »

This thread depresses me. And those of us who loathe Trump are never going to change our mind about that - period. God, I really hate this election cycle. That is all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 04:30:28 PM »

This thread depresses me. And those of us who loathe Trump are never going to change our mind about that - period. God, I really hate this election cycle. That is all.
No man, you're looking at it the wrong way.  This is the best election cycle...ever?  Maybe.  Hillary, it's not impossible that she ends up a convicted felon, and she is far and away the most qualified of the likely candidates.  Her only competition in her party is Bernie motherfunking Sanders?  Awesome.  The GOP has NO idea what it's doing, has no leader, has no focus other than the handful of things each one of them picks as "the most important issue in the universe" out of the grab bag of conservative causes.  A bunch of clowns with king clown leading the march.  As a fan of neither part I find this all to be very amusing.

On the down side we have a boiling black people vs cops thing that will surely heat up as the temperature does, Muslims "invading" Europe and the ongoing backlash that causes.  You know Hamas is still circling the drain right?  You know what they do everytime they need an influx of money from useful idiots in Europe?  Throw in a tsunami or earthquake in the third world that seems to happen about every 18 months (and we're due) and we're going to have one crazy summer.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »

Turmp has better chances in the general election than Cruz and Carson at least, and possibly Bush too (not to mention a good chunk of the dropouts). There's no defensible reason to support him if you're a progressive.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »

Turmp has better chances in the general election than Cruz and Carson at least, and possibly Bush too (not to mention a good chunk of the dropouts). There's no defensible reason to support him if you're a progressive.

Why not? TRUMP is a progressive too.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 05:40:52 PM »

Carson is a nonentity at this point, and Bush is rapidly approaching that stage, with the only thing left for him is how long can he play spoiler to Rubio, and if he even is able to do that if he wants to.

So, Cruz.  Frankly you're out to lunch on Cruz, who:

* I suspect in the long run he'd be a better campaigner than Trump and thus more likely to win the general.  There's a lot of uncertainty here, but the guy is good at campaigning.
* Holds views that are to the right of Trump on almost every issue, and is significantly more intransigent/ideological about them.  Don't let Trump's boorish affect and Cruz's Ivy League pedigree fool you, dude is as much of a sh*tstain even on Trump's signature nativist blatherings
* Is just a generally nasty and disgusting person, by all accounts just as bad as Trump.

I genuinely think that a Trump nomination would be better, on both electability and substantive grounds, than a Cruz nomination.  And it would certainly be better for electability than a Rubio nomination– Rubio might be even money to win this thing, and he's a hardcore neocon who came into office in the Tea Party wave.

Another thing that occurs to me, and I don't think it excuses ironic Trump support but is worth keeping in mind as an explanatory variable, is that the whole Trump phenomenon has forced a lot of (frankly shoddy) political science into the trash. So the cynics that populate this board are welcoming that, and I kind of wonder if you're letting it screw with your perception and better judgment.  Because: don't get me wrong, Trump is a dangerous individual with crazy ideas.  But to set him apart from the Republicans as uniquely bad is, well, less reality-based than you might wish.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 05:46:12 PM »

It's pretty clear that those of us here who hate Trump aren't going to change our minds, likewise those who love Trump aren't going to change their minds either.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2016, 06:07:33 PM »

Are there racists who support him? Yes, but there are also a lot of Democrats who are sick of the elite latte-liberal class treating the working class like morons, as well as there are a lot of Republicans sick of the neocon pussys they keep throwing at us.

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2016, 06:37:14 PM »

I'm not sure what could change my opinion at this point, but I try to keep an open mind. If someone tries to convince me that Trump is the best candidate, I'm all ears.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »

Carson is a nonentity at this point, and Bush is rapidly approaching that stage, with the only thing left for him is how long can he play spoiler to Rubio, and if he even is able to do that if he wants to.

So, Cruz.  Frankly you're out to lunch on Cruz, who:

* I suspect in the long run he'd be a better campaigner than Trump and thus more likely to win the general.  There's a lot of uncertainty here, but the guy is good at campaigning.
* Holds views that are to the right of Trump on almost every issue, and is significantly more intransigent/ideological about them.  Don't let Trump's boorish affect and Cruz's Ivy League pedigree fool you, dude is as much of a sh*tstain even on Trump's signature nativist blatherings
* Is just a generally nasty and disgusting person, by all accounts just as bad as Trump.

I genuinely think that a Trump nomination would be better, on both electability and substantive grounds, than a Cruz nomination.  And it would certainly be better for electability than a Rubio nomination– Rubio might be even money to win this thing, and he's a hardcore neocon who came into office in the Tea Party wave.

Another thing that occurs to me, and I don't think it excuses ironic Trump support but is worth keeping in mind as an explanatory variable, is that the whole Trump phenomenon has forced a lot of (frankly shoddy) political science into the trash. So the cynics that populate this board are welcoming that, and I kind of wonder if you're letting it screw with your perception and better judgment.  Because: don't get me wrong, Trump is a dangerous individual with crazy ideas.  But to set him apart from the Republicans as uniquely bad is, well, less reality-based than you might wish.

I have no idea where Trump stands "on the substance". He probably doesn't have any genuine political views, aside from those that naturally emerge when you have a lot of money and are utterly selfish (which is already quite scary in its own right). Yes, Cruz is far more easily categorizable as a far-rightist, while it makes no sense to even try to assign an ideology to Trump. Does that make him better or worse though?

One thing that's clear to Trump is that he speaks to something that goes beyond the traditional Republican mantra. Something extremely deep and ugly, which, as a European, I possibly have more experience with than most Americans here. People like Cruz have been saying what they say for over three decades now: they preach to their own choir and the rest of America shrugs it off and increasingly laughs at it. Trump's public discourse has the potential to unleash a new wave of xenophobia, populism and just plain, raw hatred that, until recently, even the most hardline conservatives didn't dare to delve into.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2016, 09:50:19 PM »

Trump's "populist" economic views have been a part of his platform since the 80s. Geez, it's like you haven't even read The Art of the Deal.

That hasn't changed. What has changed are social views so he could win a GOP primary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies