Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:13:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 77
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 115452 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: September 05, 2016, 05:47:53 PM »

My wife is pregnant. Did you know you can still be surprised at the news even if you are actively trying to have a baby?
Congrats to you and your wife!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1051 on: September 05, 2016, 06:38:44 PM »

My wife is pregnant. Did you know you can still be surprised at the news even if you are actively trying to have a baby?

Congratulations, DC!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1052 on: September 05, 2016, 07:48:02 PM »

congrats on the babyyyy! He/she will make a fine liberal one day Wink
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1053 on: September 05, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »

Thanks everyone Smiley

Congratulations, that's wonderful! Do you know how far along she is?

We're not sure actually. We have an appointment to confirm that and the due date in a few weeks.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1054 on: September 06, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »

My uncle got a letter from the Trump/Pence RNC Joint Victory Fund that had like a survey and a donation request and he's donating some money to the JVF
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1055 on: September 06, 2016, 05:44:38 PM »

Lol, so I asked out one of my close friends, who said yes, only to be officially ghosted by this person two days later.

Ayyyy #SunriseGotNoGame #OrFriends #BasicAtlasPost
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1056 on: September 06, 2016, 06:08:19 PM »

Lol, so I asked out one of my close friends, who said yes, only to be officially ghosted by this person two days later.

Happens to the best of us Cry
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1057 on: September 06, 2016, 06:12:01 PM »

Happens to the best of us Cry

I just hate that there was not a solid rejection. Like, I can deal with rejection fairly easily. No need to be an ass ghost people - especially friends.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1058 on: September 06, 2016, 06:12:24 PM »

Today I learned that staring at a screen for eight hours straight working on a digital painting can be hazardous to one's health.

(Also, congrats, DC!)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1059 on: September 06, 2016, 06:13:49 PM »

Also, what's "ghosting?" Huh
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1060 on: September 06, 2016, 06:30:16 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-ghosting-2015-8

"...It's the act of ghosting: cutting off contact with them completely, ignoring their texts and their calls, and not providing an explanation for ending the relationship."

Doesn't have to be a relationship, either, could be as simple as bailing on a friendship (which is what happened to me).
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1061 on: September 06, 2016, 06:35:18 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-ghosting-2015-8

"...It's the act of ghosting: cutting off contact with them completely, ignoring their texts and their calls, and not providing an explanation for ending the relationship."

Doesn't have to be a relationship, either, could be as simple as bailing on a friendship (which is what happened to me).

Oh, wow.  That... sums up a great deal of my past relationships, actually.

Feels.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1062 on: September 06, 2016, 07:17:36 PM »

Sorry to hear about that. I've been crushing majorly hard on my best friend for about a year now, and while she knows and all of our mutual friends agree that we act like a couple, she has consistently gone for one night stands with shallow boys, only to text me in the morning about how much she regretted doing it and "if only boys liked me" blah blah blah. Shit sucks.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1063 on: September 06, 2016, 07:29:03 PM »

Sorry to hear about that. I've been crushing majorly hard on my best friend for about a year now, and while she knows and all of our mutual friends agree that we act like a couple, she has consistently gone for one night stands with shallow boys, only to text me in the morning about how much she regretted doing it and "if only boys liked me" blah blah blah. Shit sucks.

That sucks.

For me, I don't really care anymore what happens. This person has toyed with me for a while and I've hit my breaking point. If this person wants to end a friendship because of non-existent nonsense, than so be it.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1064 on: September 06, 2016, 07:42:31 PM »

I find that, whilst the 'friendzone' is mostly just a jokey concept, once you form a relationship with someone else (and by that I mean any kind of relationship, not boyfriend/girlfriend) it can be pretty hard to break out of the 'paradigm' of that relationship once it's been going for even a month or so. Like, before I met my girlfriend, I had a crush of sorts on a girl on my course who I struck up a friendship with in my first week at uni, but after a while it was pretty clear to me that she was not attracted to me so I attempted to let it slide (although I did do a couple of unfortunately creepy things like checking out her Facebook timeline from years past Tongue ). I had a couple of other 'romantic' dalliances (ugh), but, I never really got her off my mind. Then I met my girlfriend outside a kebab van at 2 in the morning and since then I've thought of this other girl as nothing but a friend. Point is, I guess, eventually something will turn up, and you've just got to keep your eyes open for potential opportunities.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1065 on: September 06, 2016, 11:45:01 PM »

Yea, that's true. I've always had an active social life, but, honestly, for the longest time I wasn't interested in romantic relationships, so I think I'll be fine long-term. Hopefully something pops up in the future but I'll try just to keep living my life until then.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1066 on: September 07, 2016, 06:29:03 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2016, 06:36:58 AM by Antonio V »

If this person was willing to do that to you, she/he was never a true friend to begin with. Even if he/she didn't feel comfortable being friends with you anymore (which is their right), she/he should at least have told you so upfront. Ghosting is just plain cruel.

(Have never been ghosted myself, thankfully.)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1067 on: September 07, 2016, 06:32:55 AM »

I was ghosted once earlier this August.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1068 on: September 07, 2016, 07:57:34 AM »

A word of advice to the single over thinking types:

There are two unfortunate facts of life that make it important to make a decision quickly or move on:

1) As Cassius noted, it's very difficult to change an established relationship
2) Some women are happy to get comfort from a male friend without any of the sacrifice that comes with a relationship.

Ask girls out quickly. If you wait a long time and she's interested, she'll be frustrated and might move on while you work up your courage. If you wait and she's not interested, you're only prolonging the inevitable and wasting time that could be spent pursuing girls who actually like you.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1069 on: September 07, 2016, 03:22:50 PM »

in this thread: nice guys
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1070 on: September 07, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »

If this person was willing to do that to you, she/he was never a true friend to begin with. Even if he/she didn't feel comfortable being friends with you anymore (which is their right), she/he should at least have told you so upfront. Ghosting is just plain cruel.

(Have never been ghosted myself, thankfully.)

That's true
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1071 on: September 07, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »

I hope you're not referring to me here. You know I'm the first to call out Nice Guys on their crap.

Speaking of, there's quite a bit of implications in DC's post I really don't like, first off it the idea that there's anything wrong with a girl appreciating emotional support but not wanting a relationship.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1072 on: September 07, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »

When the term "nice guy" becomes derogatory there's something wrong with the world tbh.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1073 on: September 07, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2016, 01:39:45 AM by Signora Ophelia Maraschina, Mafia courtesan »

A couple observations--not really advice as such--on Sunrise's situation and how it relates or doesn't relate to my own experiences:

1. The first girl I had serious feelings for (I say 'girl'; she was a young woman five years older than me, but that's another story) ghosted me, and what was worst about it was that I didn't realize until after the fact that I'd had feelings for her. I think the fact that the emotional order of events here seems more or less clear and linear might make it easier for you to deal with.
2. It hasn't been my experience that moving from a friendship to a relationship is as hard as many people think it is. I don't think I'd be comfortable dating someone I wasn't friends with first (although I certainly try not to befriend people just for the chance to date them later).

_______

As for me, I've started classes, and one of the first-year master's students who I saw across a room the other night is a dead ringer for someone I have wicked bad blood with dating way back. I've developed an irrational fear that she might actually be this person. I certainly hope not, since she's one of like three people in the world whom I flat-out cannot share space with.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1074 on: September 08, 2016, 04:11:18 AM »

I am in Istanbul Airport on a layover right now. The seat pocket on my flight here had a pamphlet called "FETO's coup attempt in Turkey" which was an 80-page government account of the coup and why the US should extradite Gulen - of course entirely in English.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies