Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:29:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 77
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 115601 times)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: October 27, 2016, 03:19:14 PM »

I just got humiliated on Twitter by a semi-prominent #NeverTrumper because I made a two-tweet thread, realized how stupid it was, and deleted tweet one but forgot tweet two, which looked even stupider without tweet one, and she replied and totally cucked me, and I tweeted at her like five times in an attempt to correct it, and blearrgh

The first step in correcting that is avoiding use of the term "stupider."

I'm just going to apologize for that trainwreck of a post right now -- at the same time that the Twitter fiasco was going on, there was other IRL stuff freaking me out, and I wasn't even close to thinking straight.

It's alright, bro.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1476 on: October 27, 2016, 07:37:56 PM »

Currently grading my students' midterms. 56 down, 100 or so to go.

This is hell.

141 down. 24 left for tomorrow. Still have all the other stuff to get done this week. Ugh.

Yes, same here. I just graded my load of 40ish midterms. My main takeaway is that the results were absolutely brutal, a bloodbath - over half the students in both classes failed (less than 50%) and the best group's class average was barely a D. To make matters worse, I was rather generous in my grading, seeking to maximize their grade. Just 7 out of like 37 students got over a 10 (/15) grade (I am really not surprised these students did well). They're very lucky that I was overly generous in grading their papers a few weeks ago and that they'll probably get the bulk of their 25% participation mark by just continuing to show up and not saying huevonadas in my groups.

I haven't seen anything this bad since a midterm in a class of dumb Colombian first years last spring, but at least they had the excuse of not speaking English (although given a few of the midterms here, seems like a few of mine don't speak English either).

Not good!*

* The girl who got the best grade (14/15) is some contrarian leftish who plays devil's advocate for TRUMP

The average ended up being 14.9 out of 30 for the question I graded. It's significantly lower than for the other TAs, but that's party because many ran out of time and couldn't finish. Still, I feel bad for giving out grades like that.

And I'm going to have to hold extended office hours to deal with all the complaints. Gonna be fun...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1477 on: October 28, 2016, 03:06:58 AM »

Work is extremely boring today, especially considering I have a MEGA weekend with 4 days off ...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1478 on: October 28, 2016, 04:34:47 AM »

If nailing lost its charm to you, then I really pity you.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1479 on: October 28, 2016, 06:20:57 AM »

Currently grading my students' midterms. 56 down, 100 or so to go.

This is hell.

141 down. 24 left for tomorrow. Still have all the other stuff to get done this week. Ugh.

Yes, same here. I just graded my load of 40ish midterms. My main takeaway is that the results were absolutely brutal, a bloodbath - over half the students in both classes failed (less than 50%) and the best group's class average was barely a D. To make matters worse, I was rather generous in my grading, seeking to maximize their grade. Just 7 out of like 37 students got over a 10 (/15) grade (I am really not surprised these students did well). They're very lucky that I was overly generous in grading their papers a few weeks ago and that they'll probably get the bulk of their 25% participation mark by just continuing to show up and not saying huevonadas in my groups.

I haven't seen anything this bad since a midterm in a class of dumb Colombian first years last spring, but at least they had the excuse of not speaking English (although given a few of the midterms here, seems like a few of mine don't speak English either).

Not good!*

* The girl who got the best grade (14/15) is some contrarian leftish who plays devil's advocate for TRUMP

The average ended up being 14.9 out of 30 for the question I graded. It's significantly lower than for the other TAs, but that's party because many ran out of time and couldn't finish. Still, I feel bad for giving out grades like that.

And I'm going to have to hold extended office hours to deal with all the complaints. Gonna be fun...

One of the great challenges I had as a professor was balancing the results of as many as 7 TA's for a large class. It was clearly unfair to punish or reward students solely on the basis of which TA they got since they nominally all were subject to my grading scale. After many years I worked out a system that converted raw scores into adjusted scores so that the median student in each TA section got the same grade.

However, as automatic electronic reporting of grades (eg Blackboard) become the norm students pushed back on my adjustments. Of course the students with a strict TA like to be boosted, but the students with a soft TA complained that they couldn't tell how they were doing since they knew their raw scores overstated their actual totals. In response for the last couple of years I created a more detailed rubric for the TAs. That kept the medians for the TAs closer to each other and reduced the need to adjust raw scores.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1480 on: October 28, 2016, 12:44:58 PM »

One of the great challenges I had as a professor was balancing the results of as many as 7 TA's for a large class. It was clearly unfair to punish or reward students solely on the basis of which TA they got since they nominally all were subject to my grading scale. After many years I worked out a system that converted raw scores into adjusted scores so that the median student in each TA section got the same grade.

Thankfully that wasn't an issue for me, since each TA graded one of the question for all exams.

Although it DOES mean that students are more likely to come to see me to complain about their grades, rather than the other TAs. My next office hours are Monday, so I'm bracing myself.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1481 on: October 28, 2016, 01:00:27 PM »

Thankfully my students knew that they were going to fail, and I'll shoo them off with the suggestion that they pester the prof instead (besides I can't answer their inevitable questions about the "bell curve")

if that doesn't work, i'm willing to drop a "be thankful you have electricity unlike certain schools"
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1482 on: October 28, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »

So while I was at my friend's apartment upstairs, Tim Kaine apparently drove by building and had a rally at FSU's Oglesby Union, which is in eyesight of where I live. Ironically, I think I might have seen the tail end of his motorcade go by a few hours back.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1483 on: October 28, 2016, 09:42:30 PM »

I'm trying to get my 97 year old great great uncle who lives in Tampa to vote in this election. He doesn't want to vote at all but I'm convinced, I am going to get him.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1484 on: October 29, 2016, 12:20:14 AM »

Best week in several years. Apparently fun doesn't end after college -- it just begins Smiley

Hold the faith.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1485 on: October 29, 2016, 07:23:08 AM »

I bought myself a new bed, a big cupboard, a new TV shelf, a couch and couch table today for about 5000$.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1486 on: October 29, 2016, 07:27:28 AM »

I bought myself a new bed, a big cupboard, a new TV shelf, a couch and couch table today for about 5000$.

No new cuffs or leather masks?

Disappointing.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1487 on: October 29, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »

Disappointing.

I think his basement already is well appointed.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1488 on: October 29, 2016, 12:39:03 PM »

Disappointing.

I think his basement already is well appointed.

It's hygienic to change your cuffs once five years.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1489 on: October 29, 2016, 01:19:06 PM »

I'm going as Brexit. Maybe sexy Brexit if I can figure out how...
Go as Sexy Theresa May. Or sexy Boris Johnson?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1490 on: October 29, 2016, 01:45:04 PM »

this guy is a Mexican state governor and he is my new hero

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1491 on: October 29, 2016, 01:45:10 PM »

Currently in New Hampshire making sure the angry women turn out in full force for Clinton and Climbing Maggie. Cheesy
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1492 on: October 29, 2016, 01:46:44 PM »

PRI?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1493 on: October 29, 2016, 01:56:39 PM »

Weird things are happening.

No, I'm not about to make my own update.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1494 on: October 29, 2016, 01:57:54 PM »

You've never seen a Mexican guy in a cowboy hat?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1495 on: October 29, 2016, 02:30:34 PM »

You've never seen a Mexican guy in a cowboy hat?

Not in official government promotional videos, no.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1496 on: October 29, 2016, 02:36:43 PM »

Yep
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1497 on: October 29, 2016, 04:32:31 PM »

Just came back from Hillary's rally here in Daytona Beach, got to shake her hand but sadly couldn't get my phone to work for pictures UGH.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1498 on: October 29, 2016, 04:41:35 PM »

Just came back from Hillary's rally here in Daytona Beach, got to shake her hand

I'm sorry. Been nice knowing you Sad
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1499 on: October 29, 2016, 08:49:27 PM »

Bought a bag of 3 musketeers at the store "just in case" I get trick or treaters this year.  Won't have any sad children on my watch!
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies