Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:50:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 77
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 115627 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: November 24, 2016, 10:00:38 AM »

We just put the turkey in the oven. 

Glad to know you're not soft on turkeys.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1576 on: November 24, 2016, 10:25:22 AM »

no pardons here.

just a few really bad puns.  

This morning we tried to make a frittata but it ended up being a soufflé.  Six eggs, one big yellow onion, two green onions, two mushrooms, a half of a bulb of garlic, one vietnamese sausage, one half of one green bell pepper, some grated mozzarella cheese, copious freshly-ground black pepper, and some parsley, all finely diced and mixed together in a bowl.  We broiled it for five minutes in the oven but only the outside cooked, so we microwaved it for a minute and a half.   That's when it went from being a frittata to being a soufflé.  It was tasty, though.  I put Cholula on mine.  My son had mayonnaise on his.  My wife put salty black vinegar on hers.  

I've already probably had my USDA recommended daily allowance of cholesterol by now, but I don't think this will affect my lunch choices.  I only hope the turkey is ready by lunchtime.  

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1577 on: November 24, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »

In Lithuanian, a turkey is called "kałakutas"... but you need to have basic Polish knowledge to get this.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1578 on: November 24, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »

In Lithuanian, a turkey is called "kałakutas"... but you need to have basic Polish knowledge to get this.

The only Polish I know is "dzien dobry" and "cheeki breeki iv damke" (which i'm pretty sure isn't even really Polish, but I hear it in a lot of internet memes)

I can smell food from my room, which means shyt's about to go down. I'm hungry and ready to tear it up. Also, what's up with the Detroit Lions?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1579 on: November 24, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »

happy holidays everyone!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1580 on: November 24, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »

In Spanish, a turkey is called a pavo, but in Mexican, a turkey is called a guajolote.  In guatemala, they're called Chumpe.  I'm not sure why.  What's interesting is that in the 1970s and 80s in the USA, a "turkey" is what we called someone who lacks social skills, although I haven't heard that usage for a long time.  In Mexico, a guajolote is a slang word for "idiota" or "persona tonta."  I'm not sure whether that's a homologue or an analogue, but I think it's interesting that gringos and Mexicans both stumbled upon the use of turkey as synonymous for someone who is not quite right.  

By any name, ours was delicious.  We marinate it overnight in salt, pepper, soy sauce, finely-diced garlic, more finely-diced garlic, and green onion.  Then we cook it at about 350 degrees F for three or four hours, depending upon the weight, with frequent basting.  I'm full of turkey, corn, rice, green beans, onions, potatoes, and red wine.  (We're not big dessert people.  If we have guests, we usually try to come up with a dessert, but when it's just the three of us, it's just meal and drinks.)  My son does like the cranberries.  We had opted out of it this year, but he grumbled all through lunch, so after I finish my bottle, we're going to walk to the minimarket and get some cranberries to serve with our evening meal, which will feature lunch, warmed over.  We'll probably have turkey again tomorrow.  By Saturday I'll be getting a little tired of it.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1581 on: November 24, 2016, 02:41:30 PM »

We usually eat around 4:00. My youngest brother is home for the night, middle one still is in North Carolina digging ditches on a mountain. My aunt and uncle from my mom's side are working but my dad's sister, her husband, and son are coming. My grandma, her younger sister, and her brother-in-law are here this time too.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1582 on: November 24, 2016, 04:03:29 PM »

Yesterday my mother, who turned sixty on Sunday, went to the emergency room with some pancreatic somesuch and now she's home and more or less fine but can't have anything to eat other than clear liquids. My father made her some turkey broth so she could get at least a little bit of the Thanksgiving spirit, but she's still not exactly happy.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #1583 on: November 24, 2016, 09:19:21 PM »

Yesterday my mother, who turned sixty on Sunday, went to the emergency room with some pancreatic somesuch and now she's home and more or less fine but can't have anything to eat other than clear liquids. My father made her some turkey broth so she could get at least a little bit of the Thanksgiving spirit, but she's still not exactly happy.

I had to go on Ensure once for five days.  Nothing but that and water.  And those five days included Christmas, so I decided to skip all the family functions that year, because it would have been just too awkward.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1584 on: November 24, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2016, 10:42:36 PM by Victorious Deplorable »

My 13 year old dog had three seizures during dinner and another four afterwards. We had to put him down tonight. I almost lost it as they injected "the Michael Jackson juice" (that is literally what the nurse called it! Made me laugh though) but he went peacefully. Even in death, he still made me laugh when he pissed on my shoe as he took his last breaths. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but my youngest brother has been crying on and off all night and every time I hear his choked sobs in the other room I start crying too.

On a lighter note, Roseanne Barr retweeted me. I guess we have a Twitter correspondence now? This is like the tenth time. I love her.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1585 on: November 24, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that, Sanchez.  This is a really awful time for that to happen.  I'm glad you're taking it okay, though.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1586 on: November 24, 2016, 11:31:31 PM »

I'm sorry as well, Max. It's good that you were still able to find things to laugh at through it all. I know I'll be devastated when my dog passes. I'd rather not be home when she does, honestly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1587 on: November 25, 2016, 10:02:27 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that, Sanchez.  This is a really awful time for that to happen.  I'm glad you're taking it okay, though.
Is there ever a good time to be retweeted by Roseanne Barr?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1588 on: November 25, 2016, 06:01:10 PM »

Yes, of course: always.

(I took a peak at her Twitter feed and it's full of pro-Trump/right-wing retweets.  Is Roseanne trolling us or something?)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1589 on: November 26, 2016, 06:33:16 AM »

Yes, of course: always.

(I took a peak at her Twitter feed and it's full of pro-Trump/right-wing retweets.  Is Roseanne trolling us or something?)
She's still a leftist but she's apparently a super Zionist now and she hates Clinton (and especially Jill Stein) more than anyone.

Thanks for the kind wishes, guys. My youngest brother, one violent temper tantrum that resulted in him clawing me something fierce aside, since calmed down and returned to the group home yesterday evening practically unphased. We're hoping he'll be ok on Sunday but I'll be in Tallahassee anyway by then.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1590 on: November 26, 2016, 06:48:53 AM »

My apartment has apparently been the victim of a medium sized act of vandalism. I'm not in town to deal with it and am barely awake anyway.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1591 on: November 26, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »

bad gas tonight.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1592 on: November 27, 2016, 05:47:51 AM »

Angus, are you all right? This post is way too short for you.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1593 on: November 27, 2016, 06:01:34 AM »

Going to pick up my new glasses that I ordered on wednesday- have never had to wear them but Specsavers told me I need it for large amounts of reading- seeing that I have 3 essays and about 25 books to get through in the next week that's probably a good idea
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1594 on: November 27, 2016, 10:20:32 PM »

I am flying out to Washington on Wednesday for the conference in NoVa I speak at (I may not post here Wednesday through Friday).  Looking forward to it, have some sightseeing planned.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1595 on: November 27, 2016, 10:47:12 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I meant to respond earlier. Just got home from the "five hour" drive. The shorter trip from my Aunt and Uncle's place was actually an eight hour nightmare, the worst drive yet. The good news is that the window my friend reported as broken was barely even scratched. That at least is not nearly the problem I was lead to believe it was. Thank God.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1596 on: November 27, 2016, 11:15:06 PM »

Things are happening in my life.....................romantically
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1597 on: November 27, 2016, 11:49:19 PM »

My 13 year old dog had three seizures during dinner and another four afterwards. We had to put him down tonight. I almost lost it as they injected "the Michael Jackson juice" (that is literally what the nurse called it! Made me laugh though) but he went peacefully. Even in death, he still made me laugh when he pissed on my shoe as he took his last breaths. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but my youngest brother has been crying on and off all night and every time I hear his choked sobs in the other room I start crying too.

On a lighter note, Roseanne Barr retweeted me. I guess we have a Twitter correspondence now? This is like the tenth time. I love her.

I'm sorry to hear, Chairman Sad
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1598 on: November 30, 2016, 06:01:17 PM »

Just ate 8 of these cinnabon delight thingies and now my stomach hurts bigly.

Why do I do this to myself
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1599 on: November 30, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »

I'm projected to get all A's this semester! This was a tough semester with my (almost) full-time job and the stresses of this election season but I managed to pull through!

Just 2 more semester left then I get my BSIT degree!
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies