Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:59:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 77
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 115767 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2016, 04:34:41 PM »

Just registered myself at the local uni, so barring something unforeseen, I will be studying a program called "International Economics" - basically a hybrid of business and economy with a special emphasis on English and a second foreign language (Italian for me) - at the university of Innsbruck in autumn.

I'm now wondering on whether to do a second studies as well, and if so (probably), what exactly. I've been thinking about pol-sci, Maths, or maybe also anglistics or any other language studies. Anyone got any advice for me? Tongue

Something completely unrelated, friends and I also booked some accomodations + bus tickets for our Iceland trip in July this week. So godamn excited and pumped about that! Cheesy

Not sure if it's the same but as someone who does a combined degree (History and Politics) I can assure you that it's worth it purely because it balances out if you're not enjoying a certain topic.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2016, 04:42:21 PM »

Just registered myself at the local uni, so barring something unforeseen, I will be studying a program called "International Economics" - basically a hybrid of business and economy with a special emphasis on English and a second foreign language (Italian for me) - at the university of Innsbruck in autumn.

I'm now wondering on whether to do a second studies as well, and if so (probably), what exactly. I've been thinking about pol-sci, Maths, or maybe also anglistics or any other language studies. Anyone got any advice for me? Tongue

Something completely unrelated, friends and I also booked some accomodations + bus tickets for our Iceland trip in July this week. So godamn excited and pumped about that! Cheesy

Linguistics is a lot of fun.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »

As a math/CS major, I'd highly recommend studying either one as a second major. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2016, 05:34:47 PM »

Linguistics is a lot of fun.

نعم يا صديقي
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2016, 05:35:30 PM »

Just registered myself at the local uni

Dude, you can't attend a university in a country that Atlas proven nonexistent.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »

Wait, you're still in high school? Also, why Innsbruck and not Vienna?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2016, 07:28:54 PM »

I got into American U's three-year politics/policy/law program and got a boatload of money from them, so that is looking like a more significant draw.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2016, 08:49:22 PM »

I agree that math/cs would make a good second with intl econ as the first. Of course you could always go with physics and warm my heart. Smiley
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2016, 10:01:46 PM »

I had kind of a crappy Easter, but I'm still grateful that I was able to make it to church.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2016, 03:31:18 AM »

Wait, you're still in high school? Also, why Innsbruck and not Vienna?

Yes, I'm currently going through the phase of the final exams of high school (the Matura, the Austrian version of the German Abi, if you have heard of that).
I never really thought of studying in Vienna, tbh. Innsbruck is close enough to home that at least in the first year I can still live at home (it's just so much cheaper Tongue), so that's probably the reason why.

I agree that math/cs would make a good second with intl econ as the first. Of course you could always go with physics and warm my heart. Smiley

Would you, from your experiences, think that Maths and Econ go together well? There is not really a possibility for me to combine those two into one programme, so I would have the workload of two full-time studies, and I'm honestly a bit afraid of putting too much on my plate with that, if you get what you mean.

While I like Maths a lot, I definetely detest physics, so I will have to disappoint you with that, muon Tongue
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »

Would you, from your experiences, think that Maths and Econ go together well? There is not really a possibility for me to combine those two into one programme, so I would have the workload of two full-time studies, and I'm honestly a bit afraid of putting too much on my plate with that, if you get what you mean.

The whole area of econometrics is based on the combination of economics with mathematics and statistics. Actuarial science is another area that combines those fields, but with more emphasis on the mathematical side. I'm not sure about Austria, but in the US you could do a double major, but you might also pick an economics major with a minor in mathematics or statistics and a couple of computer science courses.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »

Cory Booker is my school's commencement speaker this year!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2016, 02:45:40 PM »

The whole area of econometrics is based on the combination of economics with mathematics and statistics. Actuarial science is another area that combines those fields, but with more emphasis on the mathematical side. I'm not sure about Austria, but in the US you could do a double major, but you might also pick an economics major with a minor in mathematics or statistics and a couple of computer science courses.

Okay. Thanks a lot for your (and the others') advice, it has been really helpful!

The major / minor system as it is in the US doesn't really exist in Austria (and the rest of Europe, as far as I'm aware). Most people just do one program, and if they decide for a second, it's always largely independent from the first.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2016, 11:03:22 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2016, 12:19:42 PM by Torie »

My cousin just sent me two photos The first is of the house that my great grandparents lived in after they retired from working the farm, and moved to Winterset. The stone house is on the national historic register (known as the Vawter House), built in from 1854 to 1856.  We sold it to these two gay antique dealers, one of whom grew up in Winterset, and wanted to move back. He had always loved the house, and told me his mother remembered my great grandmother sitting in her rocking chair on the front porch (great grand mother lived to be 101, and died in that house). Anyway, the guys have now fixed up and lovingly restored the original stone portion of the house, and seem to be working on the garage addition in back, with a studio unit above, that my grandmother built in the 1950’s (so that she and my grandfather could stay in the studio unit when in Winterset to manage the farm that my grandmother grew up on just south of town). It’s gratifying to us to see that we put the house in good hands.

The second pic is of the fancy new digs of the John Wayne birthplace museum next door. It’s nice that they matched the earth tone color of the limestone façade (obtained from a local quarry) of the stone house, no?  It is hard to find such a tan colored limestone now. Most is considerably more grey.

And the pic below, is of the great grandparents standing in front of the house, in all their Sunday best. I believe that it was taken on their 50th wedding anniversary, which would have  been in 1915, since they were married right after great grandfather came back home after serving in the Union army (being part of Sherman’s march to the sea among other things). My artist partner Dan just told me that someone painted the flowers on the photo after it was taken (thus they are in color), which was a fashion of the time. I hadn't a clue until he just told me. Obviously the photo was a big production.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #214 on: March 29, 2016, 03:37:22 PM »

So this dude I kinda sorta know from down south got arrested for attempted murder.

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/205635-javier-manjarres-arrested-broward-county
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2016, 03:38:54 PM »

Damn. None of the people I kinda sorta know ever got arrested for anything bigger than public intoxication.

I guess I need to find more exciting buddies.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »

Damn. None of the people I kinda sorta know ever got arrested for anything bigger than public intoxication.

I guess I need to find more exciting buddies.
He's not my buddy, just a really annoying loser with an I-Phone and a crappy, malaware filled political blog. He just happens to run in many of the same circuits that I was involved with. Last I encountered him was around this time last year at the AFP open house, I think.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2016, 09:53:10 PM »

Clicked back to the Atlas homepage, I got this warning message that my computer had been likely infected by a virus, got asked the answers to 2+1 and 1+1. Anyone know of some good free antivirus?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2016, 10:02:09 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2016, 10:11:16 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market »

So, does anyone have any cool things to see or do down in Houston? I was thinking of going to Galveston, but that seems to be a bit far, and all the more local suggestions are like generic things I could do anywhere. I may have half a day to do whatever down there if all goes well. Considering the Waterwall but open to anything.

Clicked back to the Atlas homepage, I got this warning message that my computer had been likely infected by a virus, got asked the answers to 2+1 and 1+1. Anyone know of some good free antivirus?

This happens when you are on mobile data usually. I always get that. I think you're fine.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2016, 10:11:39 PM »

Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (which is free) in addition to some good free virus scanner like AVG.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2016, 10:48:46 AM »

Drive 80 kilometers throughout the countryside on my scooter today. The wind was annoying.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2016, 01:05:33 PM »

I'm listening to a deeply antisemitic Israel/Palestine Discourse at a community room at my school. The exchange 'He's...he's Jewish.'/'That's unfortunate.' literally happened.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »

I'm listening to a deeply antisemitic Israel/Palestine Discourse at a community room at my school. The exchange 'He's...he's Jewish.'/'That's unfortunate.' literally happened.

Somehow I've largely managed to avoid those "debates" in university, both in France in the US.

Are all American Universities like that, or is there something specific about yours (or the area it's in)?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »

Somehow I've largely managed to avoid those "debates" in university, both in France in the US.

Are all American Universities like that, or is there something specific about yours (or the area it's in)?

I think it might be specific to the subject matter, actually. Contemporary Christian leftist theology is not proving as welcoming a world as I thought a couple years ago it would.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2016, 06:56:43 AM »

Unfortunately pretty much all theologies/philosophies suffer from groupthink. Being "liberal" is no inoculation from that problem.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies