Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:21:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 77
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 115329 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: May 14, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »

Almost wrote Hermain Cain rather than Herman Goering in an exam today. That's worrying

Was it question Nein, Nein, Nein?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #376 on: May 15, 2016, 08:06:52 AM »

Going to an Arab festival today
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #377 on: May 15, 2016, 01:26:27 PM »

A crisis with my girlfriend and subsequent prayer have convinced me that I need to return to my roots as a religious, pro-life, vintage-vibe leftist, not the weird embittered quasi-reactionary I've been slowly sliding towards being.

Yes. This iteration of Natheline was the most annoying of the past six.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #378 on: May 15, 2016, 01:45:13 PM »

Got a cold and my paranasal sinuses are killing me.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #379 on: May 15, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »

The Arab festival staff just subtly told us to vote against Trump and everyone got up and gab a standing ovation for that and cheered wildly
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #380 on: May 15, 2016, 07:49:49 PM »

monday is tomorrow Sad
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #381 on: May 15, 2016, 07:52:30 PM »

Got a cold and my paranasal sinuses are killing me.
I have the flu and I can say I COMPLETELY empathize with you.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #382 on: May 16, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »

Got in the background of Billy on the Street! Hopefully that segment of "For a Dollar" airs =]
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #383 on: May 16, 2016, 05:31:22 PM »

Got my new glasses today, they make my eyes feel strained like hell though.....the joys of new glasses.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #384 on: May 16, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »

One week left of this nearly four month quagmire.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #385 on: May 16, 2016, 06:40:58 PM »

i don't want to talk about it
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #386 on: May 16, 2016, 06:42:47 PM »

...about what?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #387 on: May 16, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »

About the past day of my life. Serious illness of multiple loved ones is only the beginning.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #388 on: May 16, 2016, 09:57:01 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2016, 09:58:47 PM by When do you think it will all become clear? »

A crisis with my girlfriend and subsequent prayer have convinced me that I need to return to my roots as a religious, pro-life, vintage-vibe leftist, not the weird embittered quasi-reactionary I've been slowly sliding towards being.

"Natheline"? Seriously? And I bet you're the kind of guy who (rightfully) gets outraged when conservative assholes misgender trans people, aren't you? Do you even see the contradiction? Or is not respecting people's basic personal choices perfectly OK as long as it suits your cultural agenda (whatever that even is)?

Also, this forum has multiple people who went from libertarian to communist, from mainstream Democrat to North Korea apologist, from centrist Republican to fundie and then to right-populist, and countless other combinations of random ideologies. Heck, weren't you a Thatcherite until a couple years ago? Pretty sure all of Nathan's "iterations" have been far more consistent than the random phases most posters have gone through.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #389 on: May 16, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »

Sad Sorry to hear that. I hope they can get better.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #390 on: May 16, 2016, 10:11:15 PM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #391 on: May 17, 2016, 12:34:34 AM »

What prompted this? Huh
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #392 on: May 17, 2016, 03:11:22 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2016, 03:14:58 AM by afleitch »

"Natheline"? Seriously? And I bet you're the kind of guy who (rightfully) gets outraged when conservative assholes misgender trans people, aren't you? Do you even see the contradiction? Or is not respecting people's basic personal choices perfectly OK as long as it suits your cultural agenda (whatever that even is)?

Also, this forum has multiple people who went from libertarian to communist, from mainstream Democrat to North Korea apologist, from centrist Republican to fundie and then to right-populist, and countless other combinations of random ideologies. Heck, weren't you a Thatcherite until a couple years ago? Pretty sure all of Nathan's "iterations" have been far more consistent than the random phases most posters have gone through.

Nathan for the past few weeks has been f-cking annoying. I’m, not saying that as someone who doesn’t like him; quite the contrary I can assure you. He has he admitted himself he’s been putting on the air of a strange ‘embittered quasi reactionary’. It showed and it sucked.

I have no idea why he went down this path (and it coincided with his return to Nathan) because it’s was so dull and so disengaging and so patently forced that it’s a great relief he’s finally noticed. ‘Natheline’ was a barb. I accept that, but if you think it’s somehow anti trans or anti queer or against whatever banner of indignation you’re hoisting today then the point has flown over your head and hit the ground a hundred yards behind you.

Sometimes people are better than who they think they are or should be. Sometimes you want someone who’s smart, engaged, thoughtful and clearly capable of complex thinking that exists outside of basic regurgitation that counts for discussion these days to not rhetorically gut themselves. Nathan knows enough about the world and everything  wrenchingly painful or exhaustingly beautiful not to be publically embittered by it.

I don’t care what journey someone goes through. This is nothing to do with identity or politics; I hate people who cheapen themselves
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #393 on: May 17, 2016, 04:25:12 AM »

Nathan for the past few weeks has been f-cking annoying. I’m, not saying that as someone who doesn’t like him; quite the contrary I can assure you. He has he admitted himself he’s been putting on the air of a strange ‘embittered quasi reactionary’. It showed and it sucked.

I have no idea why he went down this path (and it coincided with his return to Nathan) because it’s was so dull and so disengaging and so patently forced that it’s a great relief he’s finally noticed. ‘Natheline’ was a barb. I accept that, but if you think it’s somehow anti trans or anti queer or against whatever banner of indignation you’re hoisting today then the point has flown over your head and hit the ground a hundred yards behind you.

Sometimes people are better than who they think they are or should be. Sometimes you want someone who’s smart, engaged, thoughtful and clearly capable of complex thinking that exists outside of basic regurgitation that counts for discussion these days to not rhetorically gut themselves. Nathan knows enough about the world and everything  wrenchingly painful or exhaustingly beautiful not to be publically embittered by it.

I don’t care what journey someone goes through. This is nothing to do with identity or politics; I hate people who cheapen themselves

I can't speak for Antonio, but for me the "Natheline" thing was the main thing that was horribly wrong with your post. It's not that it's "anti-trans" or "politically incorrect"; it just violates human decency to not refer to people by their preferred name, regardless of what their reason for preferring that name is. In this particular case it gives off the impression (rightly or wrongly) that you care about trans people primarily because they fit your ideology. You seem like a decent enough person so I'm sure that isn't actually how you feel, but that's what's coming across here.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #394 on: May 17, 2016, 05:47:04 AM »

I can't speak for Antonio, but for me the "Natheline" thing was the main thing that was horribly wrong with your post. It's not that it's "anti-trans" or "politically incorrect"; it just violates human decency to not refer to people by their preferred name, regardless of what their reason for preferring that name is. In this particular case it gives off the impression (rightly or wrongly) that you care about trans people primarily because they fit your ideology. You seem like a decent enough person so I'm sure that isn't actually how you feel, but that's what's coming across here.

I used ‘Natheline’ as a stupid portmanteau for various iterations of the one poster. I will accept a flogging for that

However, the idea that I only care about trans people (why is this even the topic being discussed?) for ideologically reasons is something I’m struggling to even see in the one line response I gave earlier. However I’ll answer the charge that everyone else seems to be making. I care about trans people because they are human beings. If you like or dislike the inherent nature of a person or yourself ‘ideological’ reasons then there’s something wrong with you. I think that’s been something I’ve been consistent about for the 13 years I’ve been on this forum. I don't think there's anything remotely ideological about basic humanism.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #395 on: May 17, 2016, 02:58:03 PM »

Sometimes people are better than who they think they are or should be. Sometimes you want someone who’s smart, engaged, thoughtful and clearly capable of complex thinking that exists outside of basic regurgitation that counts for discussion these days to not rhetorically gut themselves. Nathan knows enough about the world and everything  wrenchingly painful or exhaustingly beautiful not to be publically embittered by it.

First of all I really haven't seen the change you describe (of course I haven't been here for the last couple weeks, but I assume you're talking about a larger time span). As far back as I remember Nathan's perspective was always marked by religion and an attachment to tradition in ways that contrast with modern leftist politics. Maybe he's become a bit more vocal about some of these contrasts recently, but if so I don't see what's "patently forced" about it. If anything it suggests he's being more honest about where he stands despite the pressure to "fit in". I shouldn't and don't want to speak for him, but I really don't think he meant what you thought he meant by that "embittered quasi reactionary" comment.

But let's say you're right, and all you want truly is to help him not "rhetorically gut himself" or "cheapen himself". Did you really think that the best way to go about that was to make a snarky comment where, all within a single sentence, you call him annoying, imply that he's a hypocrite, and disrespect the name and identity he chose for himself right after he announced that he's having troubles with his girlfriend? Do you realize just how dickish that is? And look, if someone as emotionally inept as me (as this forum well knows) can see that, then surely you can too. If you genuinely care about Nathan's best interest, you should actually try to understand what he's going through and have some basic respect.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2016, 09:11:31 AM »

I'm having a really bad case of food poisoning does anyone know how long it usually last because I can't take too many sick days off of work
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »

I'm having a really bad case of food poisoning does anyone know how long it usually last because I can't take too many sick days off of work

Depends on how bad the poisoning is and the strength of your immune system. Usually a day should suffice, but I do know of people that went into hospitals for a week, and this was off the same virus at a Christmas party.

Good luck.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #398 on: May 20, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »

God do I hate math.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #399 on: May 20, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »

What're you hoping to do after school, college major & career-wise?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies