Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:42:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 77
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 115338 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: September 21, 2016, 11:13:16 AM »

Ugh, that's beyond awful. Sorry you had to go through this Sanchez. Certainly doesn't encourage me to try having a roommate, even though it would be help my finances more than a bit.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1201 on: September 21, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »

I am currently sitting in a dark room and taking copious notes as I watch Shrek.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1202 on: September 21, 2016, 09:36:57 PM »

I am currently sitting in a dark room and taking copious notes as I watch Shrek.

SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME etc.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1203 on: September 21, 2016, 09:37:31 PM »

I'm going to NC in a few weeks for a voter registration drive with my church, so that'll be fun.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1204 on: September 21, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »

I'm going to NC in a few weeks for a voter registration drive with my church, so that'll be fun.

Where in NC?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1205 on: September 21, 2016, 10:02:45 PM »

Elaborate.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1206 on: September 21, 2016, 10:59:28 PM »

I'm looking at the deeper aspects of the film -- specifically, Shrek's "hero's journey" to "death and resurrection" as described by mythologist Joseph Campbell in a broader context, and the "hero stages" he goes through on this journey. Basically, how Shrek jumps through the same hoops on his path to self-discovery as other heroes throughout literary history.

This sounds much more lofty than it actually is. Unlike ogres, the film doesn't have many layers Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1207 on: September 21, 2016, 11:27:46 PM »

That sounds exactly as lofty as I presume it is, actually. [/shade at Joseph Campbell]

Check yourself before you Shrek yourself.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1208 on: September 21, 2016, 11:32:35 PM »

That sounds exactly as lofty as I presume it is, actually. [/shade at Joseph Campbell]

Yeah, it's just basic stuff wrapped in fancy language. I think that everyone sees those patterns in literature without actually being taught about them, even if we don't really think about it much Tongue
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1209 on: September 22, 2016, 11:57:38 AM »

Yeah, it's just basic stuff wrapped in fancy language. I think that everyone sees those patterns in literature without actually being taught about them, even if we don't really think about it much Tongue

So much to do, so much to see
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1210 on: September 22, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »

Fun fact: 'All Star' and 'Midnight City' have only a one-BPM difference.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1211 on: September 22, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »

So I taught my first three discussion sections as a TA today. It was only the most basic stuff - introductions, presentation of the class, etc.

It... exceeded my expectations, which is to say I didn't screw up too bad. Hopefully I'll get better soon though.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #1212 on: September 22, 2016, 11:36:25 PM »

So I taught my first three discussion sections as a TA today. It was only the most basic stuff - introductions, presentation of the class, etc.

It... exceeded my expectations, which is to say I didn't screw up too bad. Hopefully I'll get better soon though.

Nice! I taught my first discussion section today too. I was pretty awkward, but I seemed to be able to keep the discussion going and a few people even expressed genuine interest in office hours (which is apparently unusual for Poli Sci 101).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1213 on: September 22, 2016, 11:45:52 PM »

Nice! I taught my first discussion section today too. I was pretty awkward, but I seemed to be able to keep the discussion going and a few people even expressed genuine interest in office hours (which is apparently unusual for Poli Sci 101).

Oh wow, that's a cool coincidence! Congrats! Smiley

My class is the intro to Comparative Politics, so pretty basic too. My students weren't obnoxious, and a few of them definitely looked like they'd be interested, but this week was just introductions and I did most of the talking, so I have no idea what participation will be like. That's my biggest fear.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1214 on: September 23, 2016, 12:00:24 AM »

My class is the intro to Comparative Politics, so pretty basic too. My students weren't obnoxious, and a few of them definitely looked like they'd be interested, but this week was just introductions and I did most of the talking, so I have no idea what participation will be like. That's my biggest fear.

I loved intro to comparative politics when I took it in college. Like you said, its a basic course, but it opened up a whole new realm of policy and systems to explore afterwards.

I hope a lot of people participate in your class Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1215 on: September 23, 2016, 12:06:28 AM »

I loved intro to comparative politics when I took it in college. Like you said, its a basic course, but it opened up a whole new realm of policy and systems to explore afterwards.

I hope a lot of people participate in your class Smiley

So do I! Smiley Having students react to the class the way you did would be really fulfilling.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1216 on: September 23, 2016, 12:40:14 AM »

Fun fact: 'All Star' and 'Midnight City' have only a one-BPM difference.

And All Star has basically the same chords as Imagine.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1217 on: September 23, 2016, 12:32:44 PM »

I wrote my final CPA exams this week Cheesy
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1218 on: September 23, 2016, 01:45:31 PM »

I'll probably regret posting this...

My ex contacted me and seems very keen on reestablishing contact. My gut reaction is to run away.

Your gut reaction is right.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1219 on: September 23, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »

I'll probably regret posting this...

My ex contacted me and seems very keen on reestablishing contact. My gut reaction is to run away.

If the implication here is that a renewed relationship could be in order, well I have to say that is probably not a good idea, depending on how it previously ended. If it was not amicable and you guys had several issues driving you apart, then there is a good chance you'll wind up where you were last time, and quickly.

Some people get back together and it does work out, but many other similar relationships do fail. I've seen it happen to a couple of my friends. They got back together, were good for a number of months, and then eventually all those old problems started surfacing again and causing new ones, and because they had so much history already, they were less tolerant of each other. Eventually it fell apart, as expected (from my perspective). I don't have any friends who have rekindled old flames and are still together to this day.

However, there is nothing wrong with messing around, but if you actually want to get back together, I'd think hard on that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1220 on: September 23, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »

Or maybe she legit just wants to be friends?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1221 on: September 23, 2016, 02:23:25 PM »

Or maybe she legit just wants to be friends?

lol.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1222 on: September 23, 2016, 02:40:40 PM »

That sounds so fun. I'd die to be able to teach an introductory criminology course to my specifications.

You don't need to die, you just need to get yourself into a PhD program, as that usually where TAs are recruited. Though I guess that you might consider that a fate worse than death. Tongue

The key is to listen to that maddened, howling part of you that claims to know with utter certainty that you will die alone, and be willing to compromise everything, including your dignity, to avoid that scenario.

I find it fascinating how our worldviews are almost polar opposites yet there are one or two specific things we're in perfect agreement over.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1223 on: September 23, 2016, 02:44:16 PM »

Believe or not, but I've actually seen such things happen.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1224 on: September 23, 2016, 04:05:09 PM »

The key is to listen to that maddened, howling part of you that claims to know with utter certainty that you will die alone, and be willing to compromise everything, including your dignity, to avoid that scenario.

I've accepted long ago I'll die alone so I won't even bother to compromise my dignity Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies