Update for Everyone IV - Hungover (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:24:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 115794 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 17, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »

How funny, Texas A&M is actually on my list of places to go for my Masters.

My current list looks like:

Texas A&M (Education) [-in progress-]
Oregon State University-Cascades (MFA Creative Writing) [April 1st]
Oakland University (MA in English) [May]
Eastern Michigan University (MA in English) [May]
Belmont University (Education) [July]
Mary Baylor-Hardin (Education) [no deadline]

DELAYED
New England College (MFA in Creative Writing)
Queen's University of Charlotte (MFA in Creative Writing)
Oregon State University (MFA in Creative Writing...may switch to Education)

I had two applications I was working on, but car troubles [that Nebraskan wasn't the only one to get a stick-shift this month] and employment troubles forced me to pull back things a bit. It also forced me to reconsider registering for the Virginia primaries, but since my residency is all over the place and I'll be voting as an absentee Californian in the general anyway...meh.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »

How funny, Texas A&M is actually on my list of places to go for my Masters.

My current list looks like:

Texas A&M (Education) [-in progress-]
Oregon State University-Cascades (MFA Creative Writing) [April 1st]
Oakland University (MA in English) [May]
Eastern Michigan University (MA in English) [May]
Belmont University (Education) [July]
Mary Baylor-Hardin (Education) [no deadline]

DELAYED
New England College (MFA in Creative Writing)
Queen's University of Charlotte (MFA in Creative Writing)
Oregon State University (MFA in Creative Writing...may switch to Education)

I had two applications I was working on, but car troubles [that Nebraskan wasn't the only one to get a stick-shift this month] and employment troubles forced me to pull back things a bit. It also forced me to reconsider registering for the Virginia primaries, but since my residency is all over the place and I'll be voting as an absentee Californian in the general anyway...meh.

Update: May be forced to delay Texas A&M application because of the huge time crunch on getting the letters of recommendation and transcript in.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 11:25:19 PM »

Welp, Tuesday happened.

I found out that I'm shorter on money than I expected.

I wasted time, effort, and transcript space [thank heavens not money] applying to a place far out of my league just because of miscommunication...I can't even do the online program until I live in Texas.

Also, while trying to figure out something embarrassingly minor on my phone, I ended up erasing the ability to read my own texts or see my calls going out in the log. I can see texts coming in, and I reckon I should be able to get calls...but wow, this is bad.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 06:30:31 PM »

Ugh, Texas A&M, why? Why must you be such a pain to apply for. Ugh!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:45:17 PM »

Ugh, Texas A&M, why? Why must you be such a pain to apply for. Ugh!

I don't get it though, didn't you just move Sad?

The move back to my alma mater's town was temporary so I could my clutter out that didn't make it back to the folks, and yes to escape the clutches of a of dead-end job to folks routine. It wasn't meant to be permanent, honestly no living situation is going to be anywhere close to stable until I've figured out where I'm going for my Masters. Texas A&M just happens to be the first on the list that's due.

But there's been a lot of miscommunication and confusion regarding what needs to be done until just a few days ago, so now I'm scrambling like mad trying to make it to the deadline.

Yeah, this has been a crazy month. You can PM me for more details on the insanity.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 11:28:38 AM »

Well, I just realized that I literally have to find a job within this month, or completely regress back to my folks and probably my old job.

1 month out, and all I have to show for it is a car...

@darthebearnc: Kid, there are two Mormons right under your freaking nose on this bleeping site. You coulda' just asked.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 06:32:10 PM »

Trying to find a job, it's really difficult.

Indeed.

But then I landed one, too bad I ended up murdering the car battery (good thing the manager seems to understand.).

Another $100+ down the train for my own stupidity to replace the thing.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 07:00:55 PM »

I got accepted to Texas A&M.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 03:01:38 AM »

Because of my own desperation in a moment of stupidity, I am now fighting to recover my possibly impounded/stolen car which has a defective alternator anyway.

Basically, I was driving to a temporary gig when at a random stoplight, the car depowered, I managed to get it to the side. But desperate to get to work, I hitched a ride the rest of the way and called up towing...but I forgot to leave the key, which forced me to return to the scene anyway.

When I got back to the scene, the car was gone, and when I called the towing company to see if they had it, they did not.

I called the police, but they had no impound records at all.

....What the hell is my life anymore?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 06:29:01 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2016, 06:32:13 PM by L.D. Smith »

...And I'm forced to spend the rest of my Undergrad-Grad gap with the folks back in California.

3 jobs that wouldn't hold, and a car that I can't afford to keep running to keep running anymore make it so yeah.

A real shame, because I was really starting to like Lynchburg.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »

WHy would anyone live in a town called Lynchburg?

There's a playground around 15 minutes away from my house called Lynch Park. The implications are rather unfortunate.

A few months ago, I was going to visit friends, and my usual route was under construction.  I got lost, and I wound up at Raper Park.

When I lived in Virginia years ago, one of my co-workers mentioned a misconception he had growing up.  He thought Black people lived in Blacksburg and Christian people lived in Christiansburg, and he knew he didn't ever want to go to Lynchburg.

To be fair, Liberty University usually scares off lots of people, but besides that, it's pretty cool.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 08:50:26 AM »

Welp, it's over! Despite my attempts to hang in there, it seems I have little choice but to go back to my old job and *ugh* move in with the folks for the remainder of the Summer.

I couldn't get a hold of anything seasonal, and anything else "disposable" asks a year out of me, which I cannot commit to if I'm going to Texas A&M. Sure I could apply for Lynchburg College itself...

But I've already gone through three jobs which all hilariously backfired, and in the meantime I'm living off savings.  I've done nothing but take 90% of chance of working gamble after 90% chance of working gamble, only to get the 10% chance of failure each time...like a big comedy of errors.

Much as I may like my neighborhood, much as the odds of ever finding anything so affordable on paper again being 'nil, I just can't do this stuff anymore and I'm done with taking chances.

So yeah, I'll be a D-CA avvie again...at least until the semester starts off and I move to College Station.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »

One week left of this nearly four month quagmire.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 06:42:47 PM »

...about what?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »

I'm having a really bad case of food poisoning does anyone know how long it usually last because I can't take too many sick days off of work

Depends on how bad the poisoning is and the strength of your immune system. Usually a day should suffice, but I do know of people that went into hospitals for a week, and this was off the same virus at a Christmas party.

Good luck.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »

Finally returned to the Bay Area...the good part, not Stanford. Took more than 12 hours, $75 in rebooking fees, and I didn't get home until 2 in the morning, but it is done.

And I returned to my old job like nothing happened at all...

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 10:20:38 PM »

Just came back from work, went to vote early before the shift.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 10:33:01 PM »

Just came back from work, went to vote early before the shift.

Who did you vote for?

Sanders, less out of enthusiasm [which died out in March], and more just for the shiggles since usually the state never gets choices, Super Tuesdays almost kick out everyone else before we get a chance.

And for Senate, while I had considered a shiggles Sanchez vote, for now, I cannot betray the native daughter.

There was a little hassle to all this because I forgot to change my mailing address to match the permanent one, justified because I thought I would be voting absentee from Lynchburg,Virginia and haphazardly moved back.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 02:15:49 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2016, 02:19:05 AM by L.D. Smith »

Just got back from Lake Tahoe where some much richer relatives of mine had a timeshare.

Glad I voted when I did, pity I backed the wrong horse [especially given my ambivalence to either Clinton or Sanders at this point], but at least the native kid got 40%

Unfortunately, I won't get to enjoy too much downtime since I'm literally off to Utah on Friday to visit some other relatives.

EDIT: And I just received a wedding invitation from an old college friend.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 11:38:42 PM »

I will be heading off to Utah to visit some family.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 10:59:43 PM »

And the minute I decide to commit to something and do something decisive, I get f*&ked.

In short, I only just got the fine-print regarding tuition for my Masters Program of choice...to put it lightly, it's out of affordability.

In short this is a bit of an existential moment.

Sure I've got other tricks up my sleeve, but this is like getting into an Ivy League (as an undergrad) only to come up short because of money.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 03:02:12 PM »

I got a shift moved behind my back, so I slept through and lost 4 hours out of my week.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 01:37:30 AM »

Just got back from a kickass DEWM concert off a marina, they had The Magnificent Seven theme going (there's always something from an iconic movie being played) as well as Star Trek stuff.

The fireworks were good for the first half, the fog rolled in and ruined the other half.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 11:36:32 PM »

Went to the beach for the whole morning and afternoon, dipped into some steep woods, then returned for a quick 3 hr shift at work [Holiday Bonus]...and topped it off with some Independence Day.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 05:11:12 PM »

Lost a classmate this week to a shooting...5 years out...
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies