Update for Everyone IV - Hungover (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:40:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 115609 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:06:46 PM »

Ugh, really? What in the world made me think that sharing so much personal stuff with Atlas was a good idea? Huh
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 04:29:26 PM »

I got my eye taken out last Thursday and I'll get a fake one in about a month or so. Good times, good times.

For real? Shocked
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 10:39:43 PM »

Really sorry to hear that, Alfred. Hope it gets better soon.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »

Ugh, arrogant close-minded professors are the worst. I haven't met any at UCLA so far, but I definitely had some bad experiences at Sciences Po (which isn't surprising considering arrogance and close-mindedness are the foundation of French culture).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 09:58:47 PM by Californian Tony Returns »

The other especially frustrating thing is that, although I'm far from alone among my classmates in being unhappy with her, she's insanely popular among the other faculty (including being personally close to my favorite professor) and every class above mine. Either she's trying out a new and dramatically worse teaching style this year or my class is unusual in our reluctance to uncritically accept whatever highly specific subvariant of liberal Protestant biblical scholarship she tells us to. Or she casts some sort of elven glamour effect that only starts taking hold once you've spent a whole semester with her.

Also, she can't pronounce any of the foreign students' names, and every time she tries she does a worse job than before.

Personally I've more often found myself in the situation of liking a professor everybody else hates, than the opposite. But in any case yeah, sometimes people react quite differently to certain kinds of teaching.

If you can afford to antagonize her without facing negative repercussions on your academic success (which I guess might be easier in your situation than in mine) then by all means speak your mind. I'd be curious to see how that goes!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 02:10:01 AM »

What would be the etymologically correct word for procrastinating when the work you're putting off is actually due tomorrow?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »

What would be the etymologically correct word for procrastinating when the work you're putting off is actually due tomorrow?

Not sure, but I write a good chunk of my papers the day they're due. Tongue

Well, the paper was due by 10AM today and I did turn it in at 4AM, so I was comfortable. I've done far worse in terms of barely meeting deadlines, but staying up so late was not a very good idea considering I still have one more week of classes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:35:09 PM »

Not sure, but I write a good chunk of my papers the day they're due. Tongue

Well, the paper was due by 10AM today and I did turn it in at 4AM, so I was comfortable. I've done far worse in terms of barely meeting deadlines, but staying up so late was not a very good idea considering I still have one more week of classes.

Interesting.  Most of my papers are due at 5 PM, so that's a little different of a situation.

UCLA seems to do things a bit differently than what I was used to at Sciences Po. There, papers tended to be long-term project you had several weeks to work on and were expected to write 15-25 pages. Deadlines were usually at midnight.

Here at UCLA, some professors seem to love the "daylong exam" model, when you get your question and have a number of hours (8 in a case, 24 in the other) to answer it. Both end up being hectic for me, though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 07:35:31 PM »

Also, thanks for the quote, Cathcon. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 09:03:37 PM »

Here at UCLA, some professors seem to love the "daylong exam" model, when you get your question and have a number of hours (8 in a case, 24 in the other) to answer it. Both end up being hectic for me, though.

How does this work?  Or do you only have one class a day?

I remember a semester as an undergraduate where I had 9 hours of class on Thursday but only 3 on Friday.  If my 7:30am class on Thursday had a 8-hour or even 24-hour deadline, that would have been impossible without skipping other classes.

Although, I guess I had something similar, but not as bad.  Lab reports were due within 48 hours of my physics lab.

He's a doctoral student, so I wouldn't be surprised at one class in a day.

Depends. This quarter is somewhat busier than normal, so I have two three-hour classes on Tuesday (9-12 and 2-5, which make it a quite exhausting day overall), one on each of Wednesday and Thursday, and a two-hour one on Friday.

However, the daylong exams I got was yesterday (Sunday) so that wasn't a problem.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 09:14:38 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2016, 11:15:55 PM by Californian Tony Returns »

UCLA seems to do things a bit differently than what I was used to at Sciences Po. There, papers tended to be long-term project you had several weeks to work on and were expected to write 15-25 pages. Deadlines were usually at midnight.

That UCLA model is utterly terrible, wow. It would just totally stress me out, even if writing papers has become my second nature (normal polsci grad student). I also don't really like papers of 20+ pages, because the focus will then often be on quantity instead of quality, but at least that's still manageable in terms of stress.

Yeah, I don't like it very much either. I prefer having the time to work on my own schedule, even if that ends up doing a bit more in terms of quantity. I actually think that some of my best papers were in the 20+ range, but you're right that quantity doesn't necessarily entail quality.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 05:31:09 PM »

Just donated to the Bernie campaign. I realized it's a bit hypocritical for me to act all excited and everything when I haven't been contributing in any way. Obviously it's not a big deal, but it's better than nothing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 07:28:18 PM »

Just donated to the Bernie campaign. I realized it's a bit hypocritical for me to act all excited and everything when I haven't been contributing in any way. Obviously it's not a big deal, but it's better than nothing.

I don't get how you guys are throwing away your money like this. Is donating to a campaign a real thing? How do you pay for booze, gas, and groceries?

Well, obviously I'm pretty lucky with my financial situation right now, and I've done a decent job at saving (which is good because my income will go down by a lot next year). I feel like I can afford to sacrifice a little bit for a campaign I believe in.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 08:49:14 PM »

Making my first post from my new laptop! Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »

Is that legal?

I haven't seen anything that would suggest otherwise. Should I be worried?!?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 03:51:26 PM »

Is that legal?

I assume you're not a US citizen. Unless you hold a green card (do you?) you're going to get Bernie sent to jail for campaign finance violations.

Seriously though, can I get in trouble? No, I don't have a green card.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »

Is that legal?

I assume you're not a US citizen. Unless you hold a green card (do you?) you're going to get Bernie sent to jail for campaign finance violations.

Seriously though, can I get in trouble? No, I don't have a green card.

I don't know. Most likely there won't be any consequences for you but the FEC's already investigating the Sanders campaign for accepting illegal foreign donations - you should definitely contact the campaign and explain so they can cancel your donation.

e: The FEC sez

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Obviously they're not actually going to go after you for donating $20 or whatever but, yeah, contact the Sanders camp and get a refund to be on the safe side.

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

It's definitely pretty f**king irresponsible for them not to even include an "Are you a US citizen?" question in the form you have to fill.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »

So I was able to email the third-party website I made my donation through, and they'll give me a refund. That should settle everything, if I understand correctly. I'm so relieved.

So yeah, I'm an idiot. I've learned my lesson and from now on I'll be very careful.

Thanks to people who have been helpful, and the assholes can go f**k themselves.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 03:48:08 AM »

So I was able to email the third-party website I made my donation through, and they'll give me a refund. That should settle everything, if I understand correctly. I'm so relieved.

So yeah, I'm an idiot. I've learned my lesson and from now on I'll be very careful.

While it's illegal for you to donate money, my understanding is that you can volunteer for the campaign if you so desire.  (Not official legal advice, so maybe check this first.)

That's definitely true. I remember in 2006 I did some campus lit dropping with some students who were visiting from Sweden.

I want to look into that when I have some time (certainly not during finals week though Tongue). Thanks again for the help.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »

It's definitely pretty f**king irresponsible for them not to even include an "Are you a US citizen?" question in the form you have to fill.

Hmmm ... they do:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/lets-go-bernie?refcode=homepage_module&amount=10

Your donation was definitely illegal then. Good that you informed them.

...oh

Jesus F**king Christ I'm a complete moron.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 02:50:43 AM »

God I'm gonna have such a headache tomorrow.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »

The headache isn't too bad. Nausea is the real bummer. I'm pretty hungry but can't ingest anything.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 04:07:17 PM »

The headache isn't too bad. Nausea is the real bummer. I'm pretty hungry but can't ingest anything.
There is a time and a place for everything, and that place is called College.

I actually started drinking shortly after finishing College. Tongue My "College experience" was about as bland as you could possibly imagine.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 05:38:28 PM »

Sorry about that!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 09:12:05 PM »

My school is canceled tomorrow because of snow.

Snow? What is that strange thing you speak of? Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies